IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
It used to cost $100 million to launch a rocket into space. SpaceX and Blue origin are approaching a $1 million cost point per launch. Their Rockets are reusable and land upright something NASA was never able to do. They take astronauts to the space station something NASA hasn’t done in 11 years. They have created 10s of thousands of jobs. They have created a new economy in space much like the internet did 10 years ago. Like them or not these are great men.

I think pay load is the bottom line, how much can these new rockets carry?

·
Premium Member
14,448 Posts
Like them or not these are great men.
None of them are aerospace engineers. Their major accomplishment is in becoming bajillionaires so that they can afford to hire smart people to figure things out.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It used to cost $100 million to launch a rocket into space. SpaceX and Blue origin are approaching a $1 million cost point per launch. Their Rockets are reusable and land upright something NASA was never able to do. They take astronauts to the space station something NASA hasn’t done in 11 years. They have created 10s of thousands of jobs. They have created a new economy in space much like the internet did 10 years ago. Like them or not these are great men.
My son in law has been on the Blue Origin team for the last six years and I have to say it is pretty amazing what they have done. Working on a much larger rocket right now that will probably be tested in the next year and a half. They are looking at gettting in two more launches this year with paying customers and after that great launch yesterday I'm sure that waiting list has grown. They can carry six passengers so they will be able to cover the cost of these flights at least in the near future and probably many years to come.

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
Look, it is all relative.

I guarantee you that there is someone in Portland right now that thinks spending $75,000 on a fishing boat is a rediculous waste of money and that it would be better served helping the homeless.

Other than scale, why is this different?[/.

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
None of them are aerospace engineers. Their major accomplishment is in becoming bajillionaires so that they can afford to hire smart people to figure things out.
But someone still had to make the decision that these things were worth doing.
"Not because they are easy, but because they're hard."

Besides, how else can you spend your money when you count it by the boxcar load?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I'm generally more impressed with what SpaceX is doing even though their billionaire founder hasn't personally taken a ride yet.

·
Premium Member
14,448 Posts

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
1,992 Posts
I find it amusing that the media was calling them “astronauts”. They aren’t astronauts, just because they rode in a remote controlled rocket, no more than I am an aviator for riding in a plane!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
This could be problematic, these clowns actually think they earned the title astronaut.
Sorry there's a little more to it, like years of training and then actually working in outer space.
Rich guy amusement ride to the edge of space doesn't really count.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
FAA declined them astronaut badges. Changed the rules the day before the launch. Sort of like getting a fighter pilot designation for riding in the back seat of the Blue Angels plane, like a lot of news people. Not really impressed with a capsule, but the space plane does impress me. Major part of the decline of our space program was the Space Shuttle. Was NSA or CIA that wanted a giant space bus. NASA wanted a smaller, more mobile craft. Plus the people in charge. The original GPS satellites were small, fairly dumb units. They were sent a correction factor each day,for their clocks and positions. Non tech in charge wanted them to talk to each other and self correct, etc. My son in law works as on the satellite program. 35 layer PC board, with a lot of problems and overrides so they can launch.

·
Premium Member
18,484 Posts
According to the new rules: "Would-be astronauts must participate in activities during flight that are "essential to public safety" or contribute to "human space flight safety." Additionally, the astronaut must meet requirements for flight crew and training under federal regulations. " Branson was testing 'the cabin experience' while 2 pilots guided the vessel. Branson also earned his license to fly before shooting into space. Bezos was merely a passenger on a fully automated ride. So it looks like Branson may in fact qualify and be the only billionaire true astronaut. Bezos may have to settle on 'honorary'.

·
Registered
886 Posts
According to the new rules: "Would-be astronauts must participate in activities during flight that are "essential to public safety" or contribute to "human space flight safety." Additionally, the astronaut must meet requirements for flight crew and training under federal regulations. " Branson was testing 'the cabin experience' while 2 pilots guided the vessel. Branson also earned his license to fly before shooting into space. Bezos was merely a passenger on a fully automated ride. So it looks like Branson may in fact qualify and be the only billionaire true astronaut. Bezos may have to settle on 'honorary'.
I wonder how many children would not have to go to bed hungry if his ego trip money was spent on them .

21 - 40 of 50 Posts