causing more harm then good I would cut the leader as far down as I could get
in the sturgeon's mouth.

What's the best way of handling this? Can these guys better survive passing
a hook then needle-nose pliers reaching down deep in their mouth to attempt
to releasing the hook?

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
You did it right... cut the leader as far down as you can. I really have not had a problem with barbless hooks... try using at least 5/0 hooks, I use 6/0 and in the estuary 7/0 hooks; if you do you should avoid this problem.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,262 Posts
What 5-Cents said and please use non-plated hooks. You might try circle hooks too. They are less likely to be swallowed. We use circle hooks on our longlines for sturgeon research and after catching thousands and thousands of them we never had a swallowed circle hook. Always hooked in the mouth.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm off to Fisherman's to get some new hooks. What brand would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I use my hand and follow the leader with my index finger until it gets to the hook. I then gently dislodge the hook. Then pull the leader keeping the hook against my finger.

In five years I have not had to leave a hook in a fish. I probably have been lucky not to have the hook go deeper than I could reach.

·
38,262 Posts
David: We use pickled squid. Just thread it on. We don't try to hide the hook. It doesn't seem to matter and it's a bunch faster when you're baiting up to 400 hooks in a day. Usually whole ones but a half if the bait is getting low.

[ 09-28-2003, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
STG thanks. The reason I ask is becuase up north we used salmon guts, gills and bellies. There's not much current so we would just gob it on the hook but down here with the Columbia current it seams like you need to have your bait (shrimp or smelt I'm talking about) threaded up the leader so it doesn't spin. I was just wondering how you threaded a bait using a circle hook.

[ 09-28-2003, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: David Johnson ]

·
38,262 Posts
Just poke the point through the mantle and then grab the tenacles and poke the point through where they all connect together. If the squid are large enough I go through the mantle twice.

·
Premium Member
11,041 Posts
I heard the suggestion made to outlaw stainless or plated hooks at the sturgeon meetings last year. It apparently didn't go anywhere. I guess it wasn't on the agenda of the special interests who appeared to be driving the process.

·
38,262 Posts
Forgot about the hook brand question. I don't think it makes a big difference. We use non-plated Mustads because they are less expensive and easy to buy in bulk. Talk to your favorite salesperson and they can tell you what's available.

[ 09-28-2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

3,877 Posts
StgRule,

Would it be too hard for you to demonstrate this via a tutorial using some photos.

I have always heard circle hooks are the way to go given it is the easiest means healthwise for the sturgeon but it is hard to see without a picture in my mind

Thanks Much.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Like 5 Cent said, using a larger hook will help.

STG, what bait are you using on those circle hooks and how are you baiting it up? I've used circle hooks a lot on halibut and bottom fish in AK and you are right, a fish never swallows them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts