IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a visitor to your site often. I admire the friendship and camaraderie that is found here. I would love to share stories of success and failure but I am a rookie when it comes to fishing this area. I moved here 11 years ago and immediately started to pursue my main passion, duck hunting, so I have a nice duck boat that will allow me to get out on the water. How do you all think is the best way for me to learn the details of fishing for Salmon and Steelhead on the Willamette and Columbia. I appreciate your help.
Scott

·
Registered
499 Posts
When someone posts an open seat give them a call. Maybe you could even start a post. Ask to help with expenses for a opportunity to learn how and where to fish with someone how knows the area. If you were to do this a couple times you would be familiar with some of the areas and ways to fish them. Hope this helps. SPACE

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Scottev,

1. Fisherman's and GI Joes have seminars which are great for getting the basics.

2. Go out fishing with a guide if you can swing it. See how it's done.

3. Check out all the archived questions/answers here on Ifish.

4. Take Items 1, 2 and 3 and go fishing. I found the other fishermen out on the water to be real helpful.

Soon it will be your turn to be giving the advice <grin>.

Brion

[ 05-06-2003, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: BrionLutz ]

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Get a 2nd mortgage for 100% in cash. Quit your job. Fish a lot.

Or learn the hard way like the rest of us. Wow, think about it- The learning is fun. It gets a lot worse than that!

Mark and the dog.

·
Premium Member
14,746 Posts
keep an eye on the main board for what runs are current. right now, the talk is all about the columbia and the willamette. coming up will be the sandy and clackamas as the springers move up. also, there are summer run steelhead moving in right now.

next, click the search button toward the upper right. enter in terms you think will get you the most useful information. then, hit the pulldown next to "search forum". select the ifish 2002 archives, 2001, and 2000 and search each one. there's so much good info out there. you could spend a whole day just looking at willamette springer info. digging through the archives is a great way to find more info than you know what to do with.

aside from that, there's salmon, trout and steelheader magazine. a year's subscription to fishing and hunting news isn't a bad idea either. their info seems to be a little dated by the time you read it, but it'll give you an idea of what is running where for next year. then there's all the books you could buy. joining a northwest steelheader chapter is also a great way to get some insight into the game.

good luck and i hope to hear some great stories from you in the coming months.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Follow the sage advice from above and then take your duck boat into the Willamette Channel from Sauvie's Island, which should use or improve your knowldege of your duck hunting water prospects.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.