IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a friend yesterday about the best place to live in the northwest if you are a fishmerman. He said his choice would be Longview WA because it is 45 minutes from Hammond, 2 hours from the Olympic Penn., on the Cowlitz/Columbia close to the Lewis and then name several lakes that were also close by.

I couldn't argue with his logice but it got me wondering what town Ifishers would deem the best choice for a fishermen in the northwest to live in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Central Washington, Moses Lake area.

1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours from Lake Roosevelt depending on what part of the lake. 45 min to the Columbia, several large lakes; Roosevelt, Banks, Billy Clapp, Moses Lake, Potholes, Sprague, and numerous smaller ones.

Several places for flyfishing.

Waterfowl, deer and elk hunting is in your backyard or a short drive away as well.

Really the only thing missing is salt water.

Howard Homesley
Moses Lake WA 98837

K

·
0 Posts
Wrangle, AK

Moose, elk, deer, goat, brown and black bear. More ducks and geese than you could believe (every snow goose in the US stops at the Stikeen Flats to fatten up on the way south.

All 5 species of salmon, steelhead, halibut and bottom fish, dungeness, tanner and king crab as well as spot and coonstripe prawns, right in front of town!

All this and a nice small town.

[ 04-20-2003, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Keta ]

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
I'd have to second the Longview for obvious reasons. However, after going to school in Ellensburg, Howard does have a point about the Moses Lake area.
And Howard, did you forget to introduce yourself with the obligatory story? STORY, STORY, STORY!!! :cheers:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Longview!!! :cheers: :dance: :dance:

Half a dozen major rivers within 30 minutes. Warm water fisheries also. Hunting. Bob's. Brad and a lot of other cool folks. And the razor clams are only an hour away!

I be moving there! :dance:

·
Administrator
119,516 Posts
Tillamook.

Wilson, Trask, Nestucca, Nehalem, Miami, Kilchis, Tillamook Bay, Nehalem Bay, The ocean, 1 1/2 to the Willamette or the Columbia, either way.

How could you live anywhere else?

Hunting, fishing, you got it, baby... right here.

Jen

·
Registered
784 Posts
Boise, Idaho? :shrug:

Let's see....my favorite reservoirs have been drying up. On the upside there's still water in CJ Strike [1.5 hours] and Brownlee [2 hours].

Good Interstate Highway systems providing access to the coast [9+ hours]; the Middle Columbia River [4.5 hours]; Henry's Lake/West Yellowstone [6 hours]; Willard Bay/Ogden area [4.5 hours].

Okay, so what did I do wrong
....I'm being punished - right? :whazzup: :grin: :wink:

[ 04-20-2003, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Born to Fish ]

·
Registered
209 Posts
My choice is The Dallas because.... Deschutes, John Day, Deschutes, Columbia, Deschutes, McNary, Deschutes, Hood River, Deschutes, Wind River, Deschutes, Klickatat, Portland River's 1hr 20min away and last but not least Deschutes!!!!!! Oh yea no traffic too.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Mt. Vernon Wa. is Prime Sportsman country. Skagit, Sammish, Cascade, Sauk, Stilly, Snohomish, Skykomish, Nooksac, Rivers and more. The entire San Jauns, Crabbing, Oyster and Clam beds on nearly every stretch of beach front, Heart, Tyee, 16, Mcmurry, Big, Campbell, Beaver, Devils, Baker, Shannon, lakes and many many more. Numerous Whitetails, Elk, Bear, Duck, Geese, Grouse, Phesant! All within 45 to 90 minutes of drive time. :dance: :grin: :dance:

[ 04-22-2003, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: FSHKLR ]

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Washougal,I'm 2-3 hrs from everything good.Ore. coast and streams,Wash.coast and streams.Also very close to to the Washougal :)
1/2 hr from the lewis across the river to the sandy a 1/2 hr from the Willamette 1/2 hr to bonniville dam.AHHHH YES !!! the pacific northwest no place like it in the world.
Bob
:dance:

[ 04-20-2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: dawhunt ]

·
Registered
64 Posts
The west side has some nice area but what you all fail to mention is the RAIN & TRAFFICE. Over hear we have sunshine and little pressure/competition for the waters.

I am a real newbie here so what’s this "tradition" about stories?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Originally posted by Born to Fish:
Boise, Idaho? :shrug:

Let's see....my favorite reservoirs have been drying up. On the upside there's still water in CJ Strike [1.5 hours] and Brownlee [2 hours].

Good Interstate Highway systems providing access to the coast [9+ hours]; the Middle Columbia River [4.5 hours]; Henry's Lake/West Yellowstone [6 hours]; Willard Bay/Ogden area [4.5 hours].

Okay, so what did I do wrong
....I'm being punished - right? :whazzup: :grin: :wink:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">boise kicks butt:)
i went up to CJ strike today, only caught a decent sized smallmouth..however, i hooked into some really big fish..carp or sturgon maby? whatever they were pulled hard(and i was using mys teelhead pole!)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
woodland wa ,lewis river, kalama, cowlitz,columbia,ect good deer, elk and waterfowl hunting real close and oh ya G-loomis and lamiglas in the same town :cheers: Quick Fisher

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ya, Longview is awesome, I live about 45 minutes north of their and always wish I was closer, since I travel there everytime I hook up my boat.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Astoria. Razors, crab ,sturgeon, halibut, salmon, warmwater lakes, and I'll bet there's some good elk huntin' near by :wink:

[ 04-21-2003, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Salmonator ]

·
Registered
244 Posts
I agree on Longview, WA. But since I live there I might be a little prejudice.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
I'd vote for the T-Bay area, or maybe Newport if I had a boat that was big enough for blue water. :smile:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts