IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a two month sabbatical due this year, and have convinced myself that what I really want to do is buy a boat and do some serious fishing.

With all the different types of fishing and the many different fish runs, I am having a hard time deciding when I want to take time off.

So, I'm curious... when would _you_ take two months off, and why?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Two months and what would I do? I'd take my
14' Valcom and head over to Century loop outside
of Bend. I would fish all the lakes that I've wanted to for years. And if you still have time
head up to East and Paulina. Man I could spend 6 months doing that. I wouldn't have a wife or Job when I got bach though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I'd probably take the middle of July to the middle of September. You'd find me in Astoria.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I would probably take August and September off. You could work your way south to north. I would start down on the Rogue. Next would be at least two weeks on the N. Umpqua for steelies. A drift or two down the McKenzie for some fine trout/steelie action, then over to the Cascade lakes/middle/upper Deschutes. A week or so on the lower Deschutes fishing for summers/Idaho hogs/redsides, then it's off to Astoria/B-10 for the big boys! Good fishing and historically great weather, what else do you need?

Steelie28

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Were can I find a job that comes with two months off and not get fired? :dance: With the ability to buy a boat on a whim. Nice career choice :dance:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get a sabbatical every seven years which isn't all that uncommon in the high-tech world, but in todays world of endless budget cuts I can see where sabbaticals become a thing of the past.

Now Europeans workers have it good. I work with a bunch of people in Europe, and they normally get a full month of vacation every year AND the whole company takes off an additional month in the summer... so two months every year!

Thanks everyone for the reply. August and September is starting to look really good.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
rustyl - Uh oh! Are you one of US? Yiikes!
I'm facing the same dilemna next year. I'm thinking mid-July to mid-September. Albacore, bluefin, marlin - oh my!

Now what to do with the 4 weeks of vacation?

What's your favorite fish to catch? What is it you just can't get enough of? For me, it's tuna.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
5-cents.......check here !

Sorry couldn't resist. Now go back to fishing. Besides you can't answer on here, how would you ever be able to cope with only two months of fishing????

Now to answer the question, I would take September and October, lots of Salmon options.

Scott

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
rustyl,

I think Steelie28 has the overall just right.

However, if you are buying a boat, you might want to focus on where you would be boating/fishing the most (where would you fish every weeked with the boat after sabattical?) and plan around learning how to fish that area.

Say you worked for Intel at Jones Farm or some such, then you might want to focus on Columbia River from August to September.

You start in Astoria in August and then follow the fish upriver to fishing the Columbia/Sandy mouth area in August.

If that were you geo area, that would give you a good preview of your base fishing area, a huge chunk of the Columbia and tributaries and some great fishing and a beautiful time of the year.

Plus in September, some of the vacation crowd is gone so the weekdays are nice.

On buying the boat, look at where you would be fishing day to day and buy a boat to suit that area.

Out today...saw a lot of folks frying without tops...just one aspect.

Brion

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I think this is easy...mid July to mid September...will have my ride just a little off the port bow of Pilar and Pilat's Mate....TUNA! as well as ocean silvers...ocean chinook...lings and rock fish...and the summer halibuts days....all that and some high lakes and early fall run fish....too good to be true. When can I retire again???? I hope it is soon!!!

WP :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I would go with Sept 15 - Nov. 15. This way you can catch Salmon,Steelhead,or Trout. You are pretty much guaranteed to hit the peak of the fall Chinook/Coho run. Trout fishing is picking up again and there are some options out there for Steelhead as well. :smile:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
September/October. You have summer steelhead galore on the CR tibs and mouths. :dance: You would have more CR salmon than you could shake a stick at. :dance: The trout fishing is outstanding in October if you want to hit any of the lakes. :dance: Tillamook is in full swing then too and dont forget about the Rouge. :dance: This time of year you should have pretty darn good weather too...

Hmmmmmmmmm... sounds like a good plan, maybe I need a two month vacation too :shocked:

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by 5-Cents:

Hmmmmmmmmm... sounds like a good plan, maybe I need a two month vacation too :shocked:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Vacation from what??? Whacking fish?? :tongue: :tongue: :wink:

5-Cents is on the $$$$ , you wanna wrestle with lots and lots of big bruiser, Sept-Nov is a tough
time of year to beat.

Chris :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts