IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I was pretty partial to this one before some maggot jacked me. Plano guide series magnum 1444.

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Tackle bag with trays are way more versible and a better way to organize by species if you only want one bag, just change out the trays,,,gregg
Indeed. After I found myself searching for a new tackle... option, I went with bag. I absolutely love my new set up. I can carry much more things in the same sized bag as my old tackle box.

·
Registered
440 Posts
All my fishing is done from the boat and I have the Plano box mentioned above. I find it to be a pain in the butt on board. This year I tried these things I got from Home D and really like them although if you are carrying them around they wouldn't work so good. I keep two of them snapped together back to back and sitting on the dinette seat. When I need something out of it I set the pair of them on the table and open whatever bin that holds the thing I need. The latch on top locks all the bins on each side and nothing gets mixed up or falls out. It is very efficient for me, but then again they are used only on the boat. The Plano box with all the small stuff and rarely needed stuff is kept in the V-berth.

Helmet Bumper Packaging and labeling Automotive exterior Carton

Rectangle Line Wood Gas Box

Rectangle Shipping box Packing materials Packaging and labeling Carton

·
Registered
39,682 Posts
TyBoo: Looks like a nice setup. But if you can get all your junk in there, you don't own enough junk. I'm sure you own enough....

A message to those who fish on other people's boats. As nice as Tyboo's setup is, don't ever bring something like that on another persons boat with absolute permission well in advance of getting on the boat. There isn't always a lot of room for extra stuff that hasn't a chance of being used.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I also prefer the bag system. It doesn’t take up much room if you are going on someone else’s boat, and it’s easy to swap out boxes for different species. Kirk

·
Registered
954 Posts
"A message to those who fish on other people's boats. As nice as Tyboo's setup is, don't ever bring something like that on another persons boat with absolute permission well in advance of getting on the boat. There isn't always a lot of room for extra stuff that hasn't a chance of being used."

Haha, I remember getting " that look " from a boat owner years ago. I thought he would be impressed with how wide it was giving access when unfolded, the layers of trays, cup holder on top, lol. He ask where you putting that? ,,,gregg

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I went on a bottom fishing trip on a charter out of Depot Bay a few years back, and decided to bring our own gear. I had everything in a 5 gallon bucket, plus a couple of ugly sticks. This was before I got my bag set up.

There was plenty of room, but when we started catching more fish than the rest of the boat, I created a problem that got frowns from the skipper. So I started tying up a few extra rigs and sharing my rubber jig tails with the rest of the fisherman while bottom fishing to redeem myself…. Lol. I won’t do that again. I spent more time playin* with gear than fishing that day.

best to use the gear provided on a charter trip…. Kirk

·
Registered
440 Posts
TyBoo: Looks like a nice setup. But if you can get all your junk in there, you don't own enough junk. I'm sure you own enough....

A message to those who fish on other people's boats. As nice as Tyboo's setup is, don't ever bring something like that on another persons boat with absolute permission well in advance of getting on the boat. There isn't always a lot of room for extra stuff that hasn't a chance of being used.
Oh yeah, there are plastic tubs in the berth and a tray on the dinette seat with flashers and divers and other large stuff that wouldn't go in a tackle box anyway. Two or three drawers in the cabin have fishing gear in them too. The bins are for the most frequently used consumables. Truth be told I have too much gear. I have all the latest fads and just about every color spinner made the last few years. A lot of the stuff is never used. By having too much I mean that most of my luck is with plain old fashioned rigging that works the same as it did when I started fishing over fifty years ago.

The bin boxes really aren't that big and the pair of them have a smaller footprint than the Plano box but it would be more awkward to carry around and the size to storage space ratio is not so great. The advantage is I only have to open the part I need at the moment so it is quick. Tradeoffs.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Here is what I ended up doing after trying a lot of different tackle boxes.

Bought the rack with boxes from Cabelas years ago for less than the cost of the individual boxes. Each box is filled with the same type of tackle (plugs, wobblers, spinners, superbaits, bobber and jig, etc).
I replaced my 4-legged captains pedestal with a seat box. Whenever I head out on the boat, I grab the tackle I need for the day and stick it under the captains seat. If I’m bank fishing, everything goes in the backpack. Works great! Only problem is I tend to throw random junk on top

·
Registered
220 Posts
I use the 3700 size boxes for everything..deep ones for leader boards and such ...have boxes labeled by color and content...so white label is walleye...yellow is bass gear...red is salmon...I just grab and goes in the boat or the 1 bag I have thst holds 5 of the reg size 3700s

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Tackle boxes are at the brink of extinction. Soon to be ESA listed.
Unless you wanna be "that" guy walking down the ramp looking like a fish outa water.

Tackle bag with swappable trays is way more GQ and a lot more efficient as mentioned above.
Don't be "That" guy.......
Just my Humble opinion ;)

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I bought a 4x 3700 tray bag for when I long range fished. Rarely use it anymore. If going on a 3/4 day in San Diego, just to big. Salmon fishing, I just but a couple Plano boxes in the boat. Do need to make a rack for them, I do keep a small assortment of gear on the boat, in the small Plano boxes, but I used to bring way too much stuff.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The big Plano Stow Away. It comes with four 3700 side boxes. Keep all of your stuff in that size box, and you can swap out for species-specific trips. It’s big, but I have a couple and they are great. I think the model number is 7592-01

1 - 15 of 15 Posts