IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my last two nets have been sacrificed to the briney deep :hoboy: I find myself in the market for a new salmon net. The first one I lost was really old and had cloth like netting which I think is easier on the fish if you have to release. The second one was just a cheapo that I picked up so i would have a net to drop in the drink
So what should I look for? Who makes the best salmon net?? Thanks in advance :grin:

· Registered
323 Posts
Don't know if the sale is still going on, but fisherman's was having a 25% off sale on all their beckman nets. That combined with gift card got me into a real nice salmon net. They carry both a real light cotton type net as well as one that is more like nylon with a wax coating.

Haven't put it to the test yet, but it looks pretty stout and should do the job (as long the operator does his part).

· Registered
659 Posts
I got a Frabill last year. It does not appear to harm the fish, doesn't take the slime off any way.

Does this fish look worried? http://www.steelheader.net/photopost/data/500/285oh****.jpg

· Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pretty fish Gutz,
Well, I guess I can narrow it down to 3 choices, Beckman, Frabil, and I should get a good look at the net Fishbait was talkin about at the meeting tomorrow. With my track record mabey I should look into a floating net or mabey a net p.f.d. :hoboy:

· Registered
1,615 Posts
I have an older Beckman - nice net with a decent length handle, and a coated but soft netting. The new ones have an aluminum yoke, which is an asset because they do not rust. The new ones, I believe, have some device to keep the handle from sliding too far in or out. The net bag is rather deep, but a knot can be tied in the end for Coho (remember to untie for a large Chinook!).

Not long ago I asked Don Greene, Fisherman's Shack, about the rubber nets. He likes them very much, but noted that the Sun's UV will deteriorate the rubber, perhaps within a few years.

· Registered
646 Posts
Rubber nets are made for green fish. They are not ment for fish with slime. You will remove more slime with a rubber or a coated net than with a bag made of soft netting. A deep bag is also not as good as a shallow bag. No one makes a cotton net large enough for salmon, so let's not go there.

· Registered
2,120 Posts
Beckman is my choice. TIP.....install more floation into the handle(ie. spray foam, packing foam, pipe insulation, ect.). It will help with your clumsy friend problem.

· Registered
16,890 Posts
With the upcoming clipped-fin-only Springer season, and the need to carefully release wild fish to reduce mortality (and thus maximize future sportfishing) there's really a need for no-tangle, shallow, rubber basket net.

Fishbait, has another net thread going, maybe he can describe if his new net is big enough for salmon?

· Registered
10,928 Posts
I looked at a Frabill at GI Joes recently, but they only had the Goldilocks selection. The first one was too big, and the second one was too small. Still looking for the one that is ju-u-ust right.

The one that was too big was big enough to catch a German Shepard in. I wonder what the buyer was thinking.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.