IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm bored. Let's hear about your best Springer day this year, your wierdest springer fishing story, or any "first one" springers this year. I'll post one soon, I'm trying to decide on the "best" day...

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I can go along with that..
Mid April on the Kalama, My cousin and I decide to take a little float down the river... Well my cousin has followed me on every fishing adventure since I was a kid, but he never lands a fish.. Well we proceded to hit a good hole, His 3rd cast fish on, 18lb springer... well the Kalama is a small river and the fish took full advantage of that.. to make a long story short I pulled anchor numerous times and finally netted this fish in the middle of one of the nastiest set of rapid on that river..net the fish and start pumpin the oars.... I love chineese fire drills!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Took a buddy out on the Willamette this year - he had been out a couple times before and watched me catch fish (proud guy - doesn't want no stinkin handoff :shrug: ). Well this time it is his rod that has a couple of trout like bumps then buries to water line. He lands a nice bright 22# keeper then looks over at me with a big smile and says "Now I know why you do this so much!". :grin:

Oh, he crackered the next one off!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
My boats best 8 days was the second week of April when we banged 32 Springers at the mouth of the Wind. I limited 7 days in a row coming up 1 fish short on the 8th day! My best weight day was these two hogs 70 pounds in two fish!
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Well, I'll take this opportunity to not only tell y'all about my best springer day, but also introduce myself.

My name is Aaron, I am 22 years old, and have been very happily married for 2 1/2 years now. I've been fishing since my dad taught me when I was 5 years old. Though, most of the fishing has been for trout. I just got into Steelhead and Salmon fishing in March of this year. I was getting bored with lake fishing for 10" trout. I've been mediocre successful, I've been out about 10 times this year and have hooked up with 6 fish (2 steels, that got away :hoboy: and 4 springers). I mainly fish the Wilson, since I live in Hillsboro, however, I do sometimes make the trip to the Sandy. And when Springer season is hot, I head out for the Willamette. Now with that said, my Springer trip goes like this...

It was around the beginning of April and I had been out on my cousin's boat once already this season, and hooked into a fat native springer (not good with eyeing weights but probably 20-25 lbs.) I was really upset cause I had lost 2 steels already this year, and now I hook into the biggest fish of my life, and I can't even keep it!

So I decide to take a half day off at work and head out to the Willamette about 1 o'clock. By the time I get there and we get the boat in the water it's pushin' 2:00. We troll prawns up and down the river right across from the Cedaroak boat ramp with no luck for about an hour. Getting bored, we decide to move on down to Grandma's Hole (not sure if that's the real name, but that's what we called it). 5 mintues after getting are poles in the water ... FISH ON!! for me. When we finally get it to the boat, it's another freaking native! :mad: I'm really angry now, but I take a deep breath and we continue fishing... 5 minutes later ... FISH ON!! for my cousin, and it's a keeper! I was happy for him, but I wanted my own dinner! 5 minutes later ... FISH ON!! for me! Finally, I get to take home some fish to the wife, I was stoked! :cool: The 5 minute intervals kept up for 2 more fish, and we were done. 5 fish in 2 hours, and 4 were coming home with us. It was awesome!

Here is a pic of the 4 fish, me on the left. Granted, FEAR NO FISH!'s fish put mine to shame, but who cares, this was an awesome day.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Cool another Hillsboro ifisher! Welcome!

Real quick. I took my girl friend and her son out on the CR on their first springer trip. Arrived on the river at about 9 after a nice breakfast.... I'm sure you can guess the rest of the story. She had 4 strikes, got 2, BOTH keepers, her son hooked 3 solidly landed 1, keeper, I was 0 for 0...7 pull downs, 3 keepers and all I could do was grab the net every once in a while!! I was a great day!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Best day for numbers, maybe not, but memorable yes.

Trolling the harbor one afternoon this year, raining like crazy. In a 15 minute span I caught the largest springer of my life (Mid-30's native) on a prawn double rig. It ripped up the bottom rig, so I whipped it off and put the remaining rig down and in 2 minutes proceeded to catch the smallest (non-jack) of my life (6.5# keeper). Finished the afternoon with another (20# keeper) for a memorable day.

As far as best days (number of fish/ratio of fish to rods, fish per hour, etc.), there were a couple that qualified. I had some awfully good days fishing with Fishin Mission, FWF1, ******, Tillamook Slugger and Rainrshine.

SureSet

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
MY BEST DAY: When I caught one!!!

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
After you've laid on the cardiac cath table every day is your best day!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Many years ago I was springer fishing with my father out near freds marina. It was hot out, there was no action and I was rootin though my tackle box messing around when I had an idea. I took out a brass spinner, polished it, threaded a very small spin glo up the line, tied on the spinner, and was ready to let it out. I really had no clue what I was doing. My father said %!$#%$!%$#%$!#%$!%$#!%$#!!!!!!! which translates to "get that mess off your line!!!"
I put it in the water anyway and set it in the holder. Dad continued to bash my new found wonder lure, and told me I should be using herring and nothing else. "you might as well reel in and sit in the bow,, your not even fishing."
A few minutes later,,BAM!!! fish on!! I landed a 22 lb springer with my brass spinner/spin glo combo. It was luck!
We set the rods back out and he started to thrash though the tackle box looking for another spinner and spin glo.

20 years later and he has never given me a bad time about how I am fishing,,, he only says.. "try it,,it might work!!"

I will never forget the day the tables turned..... :grin:

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Fo me..it woulda been about April 3 or 4...the first day we hit the Willamette after coming off the Columbia. I remember launching the boat and looking at the water color and clarity, thinking it didn't look as good up close as it did from atop one of the local bridges. But since we were there..we were gonna fish anyway.

We headed away from the ramp, Sure set was all tied up and ready to go, I had to switch from Kwikie Mode to herring mode, and was tying myself a slider setup. Sureset baited up and dropped his line down, and within a minute or two, had a fish on. Holy cow...I thought to myself..today could be one of those days.

Well...looking back on that day..it's kinda a blur, 'cause there were alot of days out there...but all in all...we ended up with 4 keepers to the boat, one re-leaser...and the guys missed (for whatever reasons) 8 other biter/opportunities. All in a span of about 4-5 hours. This was the same day "Lutz" reported seeing 30-40 fish caught at Sellwood. You just couldn't miss that day..the river was packed with fish.

Mark

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
My best day this year was in the same place at roughly the same time as my best days the last few years. There is a river I fish(I will leave it up to your imaganination) that when the fish decide to first push in it is by the thousands. So every year I start going a little early so I know I will be there on the day they show up. This year I noticed one evening that they were making their push so I went down the next morning about 8:00 and there were only 2 people where I like to fish. Now unless you have been apart of what and where I am talking about you may think this is an exaggeration, but I could get at least a take down on my bobber and eggs every cast. I am not B.S.ing I hooked my first 10 fish in about 30 minutes letting all go except 1 nice big fat hen. I wait all year for this day and was planning on catch and release for a while when my phone rings and it is my wife telling me her computer is not working and that I need to come to her office and fix it ARGHHH! So I make 1 more cast, catch another keeper and head out hoping that tomorrow will be as good, but knowing it won't. The next day I did get 6 in about 30 minutes but it was already starting to slow down. I have been lucky enough, through spending allot of time at the river, to have caught a day similar to this for the last few years.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I think my best day this year would be the day a buddy of mine and I went up to one of our favorite spots fished for an hour and a half and were on our way home with our four fish before 8am. Might have been the day before that when I made 10 cast's and had my two fish. :smile: Been a great spring so far, still a month to month and a half of springer fishing left.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We had some nice days, but our best was on the big river. My fishing buddy drug me out to the Caterpillar Island area in early March to watch some Kwikkies wobble, not my favorite fishing.

About ten minutes after we'd started fishing, Phill's rod buries, we fight him on anchor as it's not too crowded. He lands a 20+ pound nate that's promptly released.

Another ten minutes go by and his rod buries again, this time we drop out to get out of the crowd. He quickly lands a beautiful nate.

Phill re-baits, and gets the first keeper about twenty minutes later. Looks like I'm just an observer today.

Not much time passes, bam, another nate for the show-off. He's up 4-0, and I'm desperate.

I see a jar of Jensen eggs in my cooler. Hmmmmm. I stick my finger in the jar and rub the oil on the bill of my Kwik-fish. I start bouncing out and my rod starts acting funny, boing, boing, boing. What the? I click over and tighten things up, fish on! At this point, I'm all pumped up, throw the anchor! By the time Phill pitches the anchor, I've got the monster 8lb nate to the boat, back he goes.

Re-bait and back in the water about ten minutes, wham, rod buries, another fish for me, and it's a keeper!

Re-bait, thirty minutes, and a big nate on my rod.

Re-bait, about an hour, another big nate for me. All tied up! 4-4, eight chances, eight fish.

About three hours go by and my rod gets the biggest hit I've ever seen. No boucing, just tip straight to the water. Woo-hoo! I pick it up, Phill pitches the anchor, and in one huge act of stupidity, I offer the rod to a guide, he's a friend of mine, in the boat next to us as a joke. He starts making up new, nasty names for me and tells me what I should use as my rod-holder. Last time I try and help the needy. :laugh: There's a pretty good hogline going now, and we're the hot, hot boat. I'm grinning like an idiot fighting this thing, knowing I've closed a 4-0 gap, and might take the lead. Pump, reel, pump, reel, pump, reel.... big fish. Pump, reel, pump, reel, pump, <bink>... fish off. Now Phill's cussing me and our guide buddy in the next boat is laughing his ass off.

We ended the day soon after with eight fish out of nine chances, did a victory lap (or two) around said guide-buddy and headed in.

Had some other good days, but nothing like that one. What a blast!!! Prior to this season, my friend referred to me as the "Springer Jinx", I could shut any bite off. Not this year!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I was home sick and caught a great episode. I think the subject was " guys who became gals after being dwarfs who ran away from home after cheating on their wives with a family relative" Love that Jerry springer!
Educational television at it's finest!!!

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
My best day springer fishing was the day I realized it just wasn't worth the effort fighting all the crowds, idiots, and morons trying to catch a fish. I always seemed to be around the guys that banged into your boat, run over your anchor rope, troll over and tangle your gear, etc. I caught fish this year but in retrospect, I don't think all the time and effort was worth the fillets.

I am kinda spoiled on the ocean salmon. Limits the rule and lots of action without all the BS. Just my two cents worth.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts