IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i usally never use scents for steelhead maybe i'm missing the boat :shrug: but if i do it is mikes crawfish i was wondering what most of you use for sh fishing in the small rivers and in the columbia thanks Quick Fisher

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Dr. Juice for me has always been the best scent for summer steelhead. It is a little spendy but one application will last for about an hour.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
I normally use sand shrimp by themselves for summer runs. This year I'll try jigs with sand shrimp scent or anise has been a good one to me. On flatfish in the Big C, I'll put shrimp or Pro Cures Anise Plus bait paste on em.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya stz II i should have also said dr.juice that is my dads favorite stuff he use's it all year long for salmon and steelhead he buys the little bottles the super strong stuff i mostly use it for salmon w/ eggs thanks to all for the info
Quick Fisher

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Whatever makes you happy. Scents may make a difference( as in crawfish vs. anise), but the attempt to cover your scent is more important than what you actually use.

Wash the lure off at the beginning of each day. And after you are done fishing( to remove any scents applied that day) with dish soap.

By my guess scent will catch maybe 5-10% more fish. And to be honest, 10% is high.

Sharp hooks will catch a lot more fish than "Uncle Mikes".

Mark and the secret sauce dog.

P.S.- Hey Eastside, I think scents are now legal on the Deschutes. But pink worms are bait!! So go ahead and apply some smelly jelly to that Green Butt Skunk!

Definition of "Bait" per ODFW-"Any item used to attract fish which is not an artificial fly or a lure. Molded soft plastic or rubber imitation worms, eggs, or other imitationbaits are considered bait. Scent is not considered bait."

Great thinkers to be sure.

[ 05-28-2003, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Flatfish ]

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I call B-S on the 5-10% more fish ratio.... Bait= Scent, and top guides use bait....True, a stinky plug is bad... but 99% of the strike comes from the action, and not the smell as with spinners and spoons and some jigs... I would say scent is a BIG BIG factor, weather it is good or bad. Salmon and steelies can smell anything!

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
OK Fast Action,

true- bait is effective. Presentation decides whether scent matters more than 10%. Bad eggs don't catch lots of fish. Good plugs do. So does a well presented spinner.

I stand by the 10% number. But put smelly dog hair and oily bilge water on that plug and you can bet your catch rates will drop by more than 10%.

Scents applied to a lure are most helpful in covering human and other offensive smells. But you will not take a loser and turn it into a winner simply by placing a few drops of Pro Cure super shrimp scent on it.

Good eggs catch fish-True. But this thread is not about bait but scents.

As far as guides using bait, could it be that they have clients with zero fishing experience that want to be active in fishing( not just sitting there waiting for a rod in a holder to go off) and side drifting and boondogging are a simple to execute and effective way for a nimrod to feel like he is fishing and actually catch fish?

I have fished plugs extensively from a drifter. While I enjoy it a lot, the front seaters are usually bored quickly. The oarsman is the one doing the fishing.

Spinners can be very effective, but only as good as the dude on he rod.I catch a lot of fish on the Deschutes right after someone has covered that water with a spinner. But they fish them too fast and the blade don't call fish well when it is spinning too fast.

Spoons are fairly tough to present.

Drift fishing takes years worth of practice to become effective at.

Boondogging takes the ability to cast 30 feet with a long soft spinning rod to catch fish. then the angler must stand there as the boat glides down the drift.

If you had to catch fish and entertain a boatload of total strangers, which technique would you choose?

Scent is but 1 component of fishing. An important one. But Smelly Jelly aint gonna be what makes or breaks you.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Originally posted by Flatfish:
[QB] OK Fast Action,

Scents applied to a lure are most helpful in covering human and other offensive smells. But you will not take a loser and turn it into a winner simply by placing a few drops of Pro Cure super shrimp scent on it.

Sure you will... What about off water conditons? I bet they smell it before they see it. I was told my an old wise man that scents are attractants that have hormones, phermones, protiens and good stuff that fish like. They like it so much, that in murky water, they can hone into the smell and find the source, then see the action, and strike. Even though summer conditions are far from winter ones, scent is a big factor. I bet many people out there agree that scent is good, and it does a bit more that cover up human scent. One certain days, you bet smelly jelly will make all the difference.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all of the input Quick Fisher

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
And sometimes they don't take the plugs or whatever with scent. I have been experimenting with scents for quite some time and they make a big difference, good and bad. That's why if I'm pluggin or doggin I always have a rod with and without scent. Sometimes it just doesn't matter. Sometimes they are all over different scents on different days.

G

·
On the Deschutes I enjoy using a fat/juicy sandshrimp covered with smelly jelly shrimp/anise..... Just kidding! ha! No bait/scent on the big D.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
i found some "wet dog scent" at the local store. It is better than Banana Oil!!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I believe it is best scent packed in dry ice and air mailed. :grin:

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
As I mentioned in another thread, I've been using shrimp/anise Smelly Jelly. This winter, someone introduced me to Dr. Juice and I'll be giving that a try.

For me, the effectiveness of scents has a lot to do with the fishing conditions. They won't make a hot bite better, and they have absolutely no effect on a slow bite.

On the days when the bite is only so-so to pretty good, I have noticed that bait scents will make a difference. Not a big one, mind you, but when the fishing is only fair, I'll take any help I can get.

And ya never know. That one bite extra a scent gets you just might be from Steel-zilla :grin:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I dont use scent at all, and I dont think I get outfished to much. Its not that big of a deal. Just dont get gas on your hands in the morning, while fueling your truck, ugh. Ya, and go ahead and wash the hardware now and then if it makes you feel better. Dont get hung up in scent it costs alot and if you really want it, just buy some WD or anise form the grocery store.

·
Administrator
119,603 Posts
Marie's Shrimp Oil
Maybe I'm missing something, but they sure aren't fish! I'm stuck on this stuff!
Jen

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the tips and Jen i will pick up some of Marie's Shrimp oil, do you have to keep it refrigerated when not in use?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts