IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone has used the dishwasher on lures and if the detergent was too harsh on them? What methods do you find works best for cleaning up the contents of a tackle box?:shrug:
Presently, I just wash in lemon dish soap each item by hand.

· Registered
285 Posts
I use a toothbrush and lemon joy, works great. I would be concerned with the heat generated from a washing machine damaging the lures.

RR.
I clean my stuff with crest toothpaste then run it through the dish washer. First time I did this I forgot to turn off the heat cycle. It melted 3 kwikfish and was a huge mess. Never forgot to turn it off after that.:bigshock:

· Registered
2,561 Posts
Dishwashing detergents are very harsh on pigments too. I think the chlorine will bleach the color out of almost everything so be careful with that as well. My wife has some "collectible" pyrex bowls in bright colors from the 60s that she won't let go through the wash for this very reason. I tell her that's fine as long as she keeps the knives out of there as well. (heat ruins the temper) I think lemon joy, and a toothbrush kept in the boat in a "lure bath tub" for washing in the run back to the ramp is the best way to go. That way gear gets cared for and prepared for the next excursion rather than having it be a big chore once you are back to the house.

· Registered
1,507 Posts
Yep another vote for the toothbrush and Non altra lemon Joy......... Go to the dollar store to buy the non altra lemon joy, best price anywhere......

· Registered
4,621 Posts
You guys actually WASH your lures?

Funny stuff....:laugh:

· Registered
491 Posts
Lemon Joy mixed with a bit of ainse scent and a toothbrush...I wouldn't recommend the dishwasher for your plugs...not only does it remove the paints but they can also come out bloated...learned that aloooooonnnnnngg time ago...another thing after washing them is LJ is to spray them down with WD-40 and it keeps them nice and shiny...I also wipe off the excess...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.