IFish Fishing Forum banner

Best flashers ?

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Gizmo Man 
#1 ·
to All Ifishers
what flasher or dodger do you like best for trolling in front of cut plug herring in the river for springers thank you :cheers: Quick Fisher

[ 04-26-2003, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Quick Fisher ]

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello QF, I don't have a lot of experience with the various types, but in the Mult.Channel, we use FishFlash usually the small size, and the medium size when it's low visibility.

#4 ·
Quick Fisher,

I've seen fish caught on all types of flashers and I've seen a whole lot of fish caught w/out

There was this one day I seen one boat nail them and he was using this one, same color and all.

So of course I got a hold of one, I've hooked up with it since. I really like the slow turn of the flash.

Good luck
Bobby

Slugranch,
You use a spinner 30 inches above your Herring?
Interesting. Do you use an extra barrel swivel above your bait to keep you spinner in place and do you get false strikes with the spinner being so far above the herring?
Just Curious.

[ 04-27-2003, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: big n bright ]

#5 ·
Big N Brite,

It sounds like he is running a spinner and a herring. They will hit both , and he gets some buzz and flash. Hmmm and the spinners dont cost 12 bucks each.

Unless I am wrong Slug ties his mainline to a 3 way swivel. From that he runs a leader to the spinner( maybe 3-4 footish??) and a dropper to another 3 way swivel. Off of the bottom of that he runs a dropper to a lead, Off of the last open hole, he ties on a mooching rig.

The rules state that you can fish 3 hooks. Trebles count as 1 hook. So he has 2 singles in a mooch rig and 1 treb/ siwash in the spinner.

You gotta slowly bounce this setup out instead of casting, but thats about it. You could also substutute an Alvin for the spinner. You could also sub a kwikie for the herring and plunk it that way.

Now I may be wrong here. And if I am please don't use the setup I have described! If I am wrong, I may head over and talk to Bill at BC and see how the world is treating him. That and pick up a couple blades!

Mark and the dog.

#7 ·
I really like using an attractor like a FishFlash when the water's got a little color or I'm fishing deep. What I don't like is paying a lot for terminal tackle. So I made my own flashers with sheet aluminum and some prismatic tape I bought on-line from a marching band supply house. I caught fish the only time I've used them, but I'll be using them a lot in the next 4 months. Whaddya think? Look OK? Cost=under $5.

#10 ·
DJ, they're actually a little lighter than the plastic ones. The 6 inch plastic ones are 45 grams. The 6 inch ones I made are 37 grams. I chose aluminum cuz it's light and easy to work with and got it just thick enough that I don't have to worry about it bending. I also don't think the clips will crack out. I'd hate to lose a fish cuz the clip broke out of the flasher.

#11 ·
Hey Pete wanta start a small business? I would love to purchase a couple of those. I have been using the plastic ones and thought the same thing, when will they break the eyes? I would like to purchase 2 if you have extra to sell in the green and the relfective chrome.

Jet~~~

#12 ·
I've been making my own fish flashers like these. I'm kinda set up for them at my shop. I use polycarbonate and so far have never had a problem with them breaking or cracking. If anyone wants to help support my baby fund, let me know and I'd be happy to make some up.
Gotta be honest though, even mine were rejected on the willamette yesterday. Pretty darn slow out there.
GBS

[ 04-28-2003, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

#14 ·
You have got to try this new flasher that is out on the market that is made by gibbs. It's called the Farr Better Flasher and it is pretty cool. When a fish hits the bait and pulls line, the flasher partially releases from the line, enough to flow up and down the freely, so that there is no resistance when fighting the fish. No more fightting the flasher, just the fish on the other end. I know the gentelman that designed these flashers, and he did a great job. You can find them at barrysbait.com. Try em. You'll be hooked.

#15 ·
Gbs Pete---I've made Fish Flash from plastic.Heated and bent.I just heated with a heat gun.After bending, evenly heat the blank to prevent cracking. Yor can also use policarbonate ( lexan )and bend it cold .I got the material from Multi Craft Plastic on Broadway in Portland.They also have the mylar prism film in 3 or 4 patterns.Then check out their clear colered film, awhole bunch of neat colors.I also bought eyes at a craft store and super glued them on.The things look great and catch fish(although i've been on a dry spell lately :depressed:
The total cost of my FF is maybe a buck.
Terry :wink:

#17 ·
For a supple of prism sheets, I found a package of 5 about 8x10 at Michales. It was back with the shelf liner papers not with the small rolls of prism ribbon. It costs about $5.

They only had dark blue, red, green and silver in limited patterns. It is a little lighter but for the price I bought some.

Will let you know how it holds up.

Giz...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.