IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After the "Favorite Drift Boat Poll" I am picking up (most likely) a koffler 16' drift boat. And I am wanting to know of a good place to drift it on Monday? Ia m going with a buddy that kinda knows how to row, and I have never rowed, so we are looking for a fairly easy stretch of river that we could try to get into some fish, Does not matter what species, steel, coho, nooks... We have rafted the deschutes twice from shearers to macks.

Thanks for any heads up!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
The first really easy stretch that comes to mind for me would be on the Clackamas river, Carver to Riverside. Not sure how many fish you'd catch, but the water is good "learning" water to get used to how your boat handles and such. If you want to take it up a bit, I personally feel that the Nestucca from Farmer Creek to Cloverdale wouldn't be that bad especially if you have someone with you who can help. You can split that drift also and just go 3 rivers to Cloverdale. I would say you have a better chance at fish on the Nestucca. I'm sure you'll get some more choices from others on here too! :twocents:
Whichever drift you chose just be sure to stay safe and have fun!!! :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
I would say three rivers to cloverdale on the Nestucca is the easiest drift I can think of. I have let a couple people try to row my boat on that stretch and there really isn't any trouble.
THANKS CODY

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I would say three rivers to cloverdale on the Nestucca is the easiest drift I can think of. I have let a couple people try to row my boat on that stretch and there really isn't any trouble.
THANKS CODY

I agree, but the Three rivers launch, takes some backing skills.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Clackacraft offers some great instructions on rowing a drift boat. If you don't have an experienced drift boat captain to show you the ropes I would recomend you at least read these instructions.

Link to rowing instructions, complete with manueuvers, common problems, and things to remember. http://www.clackacraft.com/gear/rowingDriftBoat.htm

·
Registered
532 Posts
I don't know if you ever rowed a driftboat before or not. If you've only rowed a laker boat then it's a bit different.

In short, point your tail end to safety and pull back. Always pull away from trouble.

I'd go to a lake if I've never been behind the sticks. Go from Greens Bridge to Jefferson on the Santiam if you have some experience, go to Three Rivers to Cloverdale if you've borrowed a boat before and you are fair at the sticks.

Four wheel drive is handy to put in at Three Rivers. The Nestucca is small and narrow in many places so planning ahead looking down stream in a must. There are a few fast corners that have trees hanging over just to catch you off guard and cause probable disaster.

Wear your life jackets at all times.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
the hatchery to the golf course on the north fork of the lewis is super easy...thats the stretch i learned on... catch kings till ur tired.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts