IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all you crabbers-I'm tired of crab rings and am going to invest in some pots...taking a poll- what are your favorite style of crab pots?
Are the collapsible traps worth a darn?
Would appreciate your opinions before I make this investment!
Thanks, Billy

· Registered
818 Posts
About two months ago there were a few days of discussion on this it, seemed that Protoco were loved by the people who used them and the Danielson's (sp?) were also loved by the poeple who used them. I guess it depends of what $$$ you want to spend....

· Registered
41 Posts
Airport Crab Pots in Astoria without question.

They mostly build commercial pots and extra heavy duty consumer models. You'll never own another pot. The biggest models are very heavy, but they won't move around on the tide. The smaller ones are best if you're pulling your own pots (I have the passengers pull my big ones :grin: ).

· Registered
281 Posts
Look at the Cushman Boats web site, they have a great pot called "Cushman Crab Keeper Pot". I have a couple of these and have fished them beside several others and every time my pots had the best load. The bait holder is huge, a couple of large king heads fit in them easily.

· Registered
5,621 Posts
I like the Danielsons personally. You can buy 4 of them for the price of one protoco. They are easy to store, when you lose one you don't feel so bad, and they are easy to pull.

I don't think that the type of pot catches more crab then another. that depends on your bait, placement and timing.

However if you are planning on crabbing the lower colubmia, then get the heavier pots, but for the bays the Danielsons work just fine.

EK

· Registered
323 Posts
I have 2 danielson and 2 protoco. From what I kind tell in just one year of using them, the protoco's are definately going to last longer. The danielsons are designed just like they are priced - cheap. That being said they do work. although you do have to do a little extra rigging to them. I put pencil lead on the trap doors to make sure they swing shut, a little rebar on the bottom so they always lay down nice when put in, and ziptied a bait cage on the inside. Once you put in the bait cage, then they are no longer collapsable (at least not all the way). I've found your better off not collapsing each time anyway (things loosen up too much). I have 3 of the sides ziptied to the top piece so they can't move, and I leave one side alone so I can pop the trap open. Make sure the bait cage door faces the side you plan on opening.

One trip out I thought the protoco were producing more, but that trend didn't continue. I think its more placement/bait than anything.

Make sure you make your floats look unique. The std yellow or orange will cause plenty of frustation.

-G16

· Registered
2,213 Posts
I use the round commercial style traps in high flow areas like the CR. The Danielsons are fine for the lower flow areas but they are light and can drift easily. Weighting the Danielsons will help. Both catch crab and you can't beat the price for the Danielsons.

· Registered
2,124 Posts
I like the Danielsons. It doesn't hurt quite as bad when some jacka$$ steals them. :mad: I had a couple of the stainless commercial style,but sold both at a yard sale. IMHO they didn't work any better than the $15 Danielsons,and they weighed way to much to manhandle in my old boat (15' Smokercraft) I now know why my friend gave them to me. :rolleyes:

· Registered
7,370 Posts
I second the pots from Airport Crab Pots in Astoria / Warrenton. I own three and yes they are heavy but that provides alot of benefits. They will last a lifetime. They fish awsome!!!

· Registered
8,695 Posts
My Danialsons are over 20 years old and still fishing. A couple are getting kinda rugged, but should last 5+ more years. They are kinda light for lower columbia or T Bay channel if you have allot of water movement. My 0.02 worth...

· Registered
3,690 Posts
If you like to throw pots and then go fishing, I recommend the more expensive pots like Protoco. If crabbing is the event for the day and you are going to tend your pots, Danielsons will give you the biggest bang for your buck. If you are not tending your pots regularly, the escapement from Danielsons will make you wish you had Protocos. For example, when crabbing in T-bay...check Danielsons every hour....lotsa crabs. Toss Danielsons and fish for the day......no crabs. I don't think the weighted doors solve the escapement either.

Freak

· Registered
1,455 Posts
Originally posted by brshooter:
... Do use the arkansas road runners when they are on sale for 29 cents a pound...
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">brshooter,
You got me stumped. :whazzup:
Are you talking turkey?

Cheerio'
Skipper

· Registered
2,628 Posts
I have several Protoco traps and one folding Danielsons. That stupid folding trap always has more crab in it when we pull the pots.

I can't figure out why but it just does.

If price is an issue I would suggest the Danielsons traps.

[ 01-14-2004, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Stz ll ]

· Registered
9,987 Posts
I use the protoco and the Danielson's. Each type produces, just depends on the day. I added two more Danielson's because a year ago they were by far the better producers. This year it was a wash.
I put extra weight (5 lds steel flatbar) on the Danielson's to hold them down.
I would spend more for better performance but honestly, it's a wash.

· Registered
3,397 Posts
Skipper,
Arkansas Road Runners = southern grown fryers.

You can usually get the hindquarters on sale for about 29 cents a pound.

They are for bait only. Not for human consumption. My nephew works for a meat wholesaler. He advised me never to eat them Arkansas birds.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.