IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All comments, recommendations, experiences and miscellaneous personal abuses welcome... :smile:

Have been looking at the following models:
- Boulton SeaSkiff w/36" side option
- North River Seahawk
- Hewes Craft Searunner

Wish list is for something in the 20-22' range - not too big in the high lakes and not too small in the big blue. Wife wants plenty of freeboard when we are over the bar. Rockpile jaunts and short TUNA trips would be on the list (weather/ sea conditions permiting of course).

I am strongly considering a gill bracket option as all 3 will offer them in '04.

Outboard power - 4 stroke - love my Yamaha - twins would be ideal - maybe the new 150 will work ($$)

And yes there is a limit to my pocketbook.

Let the games begin..... :grin:

Thanks in advance

Appreciate comments on any other makes/models.......gill bracket likes or dislikes ?

<`)))><

[ 09-02-2003, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Crit'r Git'r ]

G

·
Out of those choices, North River. :grin:

Misc. personal abuse. :wink:

D. None of the above.

[ 09-01-2003, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: ****** ]

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Get the 21ft North River with the enclosed bow/hatch. Darn good construction. Wave over bow is not an impending swamping disaster unlike Hewes and Boulton's I've seen. The scuppers are too small. If you can get enclosed bow in the Boulton, you probably could get a better price, somewhere around 24,000 with a 115 Yamaha. Twins will cost alot; modern engines being so reliable, I doubt you need the weight and fuel consumption for two. The Boulton has a wider bow flare I believe. My last choice would be Hewes. Lots of people love them, but I think you get what you pay for generally speaking.

·
Registered
254 Posts
North River would be my choice out of the three. I have a formula-v alumaweld,(fresh water only) and I love it!!
A buddy of mine has a boulton and he is having a very hard time getting things fixed on it, they don't stand behind there product too well.

Dr Strangeglove has some very good advice on the open bow issue and also you get what you pay for.
good luck
tip

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
If you have narrowed down to only that group of 3, I would go with North River. Solidly built and a big enough company to take care of service and readily backup warranty stuff.

You criteria is tough, though. Small enough for the high lakes and big enough for tuna country??? Invest in safety. Buy a huge deep vee for the ocean and then buy a garage sale tin rowin' boat on a bad trailer for the high lakes. Really.

My Alumaweld has a 12 degree vee, which is starting to get a bit iritating on the choppin' Columbia and down at Hammond. Maybe it's time to get rid of those JET habits of my youth and admit that I spend most of my time in bigger water.

A nice dry Boston Whaler, really sounds good right about now!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If you consider used, I know a guy who has a Seahawk that he will be selling this winter, he told me the other day, and I think he has Yami power. If interested I can get some info.
MM

[ 09-01-2003, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Mikeymoto ]

·
Registered
250 Posts
Crit'r Git'r
I have a 20' Boulton 16 degree V. I don't swim or float so it was the 36" for me. The price is comparable to the others. Problem I had was the Yamaha was hong at Browns Landing, & when my dealer took the boat there for the installation I was basically told to leave the lot by a salesman. Since my BOAT was not purchaced there I was told to LEAVE. I'm sure they GAVE the motor to my dealer & didn't make a dime on the sale. I even made an appt. w/ Debbie & she told me that my dealer had no business telling me to meet him there. Bottom line, I DO NOT buy ANYTHING at Browns. Love the Boat & motor (115)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am also interested in the Seahawk in the future, and having done some looking at the motors, am having reservations about the Yamaha 225 four stroke. FUel consumption appears to be equal to or greater than a v8 with outdrive (at optimim cruise rpm/speed)...plus, it is recommended that every 80 to 100 hours, the 225 go in the shop for service and tech adjustments. Told this runs about 250 bucks. I'm not certain how many hours a guy can rack up on a motor when he's retired and fishin all week, from springers thru the fall, but my guess is it would require a service appointment at a most inopportune time. It also appears to cruise the 225 at 30ish mph, you have to run in the neighborhood of 4000rpm...where as you can run that speed with the V8 w/outdrive at 3000 rpm. Lots to think about for me before a purchase of this sort. Russ

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hello CG,
I purchased A new 22ft. NR Seahawk this spring....the final 3 choices being the same as yours. I went with NR over Boulton for a few reasons, although I really liked both and felt them equivalent. Those reasons were:
1. I live in Roseburg where NR is made
2. 6 1/2 ft bottom as opposed to 6 ft. (stability)
3. Better standard options (Hydraulic steering, 80 gal fuel tank, etc.)
4. Boulton was more expensive.
5. 36" Boulton sides were too high for that boat in my opinion (NR is 33")
Mine has an offshore bracket with a 225 Yamaha 4s and 15 hp. kicker. The boat is absolutely rock solid stable and very dry running. With the bracket it takes a little more oomph (speed) to plane it,(planes at 12mph) and improve mileage. I would have to agree that the Yam 225 fuel consumption is only fair...however at 3300 rpm=22mph=8gph on my boat.But 4000rpm=12 gph....so it drops off quickly...still, with 80 gallons, I can run out 40 miles, use 20 gals max. fuel and plenty to troll on and get back.I'm getting a stainless prop next week, should improve things hopefully.
I think the NR seahawk any less than 22 ft would not sit well with an offshore bracket.unless you went to a smaller (lighter) motor..and ? kicker.
The 150 Yamaha 4s doesn't appear to be much lighter than the 225 though.I wouldn't power the 22 footer withany less than 200 hp.

Please Email if any other questions.

Kurt

·
Registered
182 Posts
The 200 HPDI Yamaha has near identical performance stats as the 225 4 stroke....and comes in at over 100lbs lighter. THats if a guy can get away from the 4stroke hype. Russ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nothriver seems to be the top choice of the 3. Boulton a weak second. Hewescraft not even on the screen. Other than the undersized scuppers on the recessed, self-draining bow, what are the downside of Hewescraft in comparison to the two other makes?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Boulton by all means. These are strong boats. I have the sea skiff with a 225 honda and it handles rough water great. I was at bouy 10 this last week and did notice that the NR did drain the water out of the scupper nicely. Which was a good thing since in about 4foot chop he was taking water over the bow a bunch. I did not even take a drop of water over my bow. I could even get up on plane and run in that nasty water. Just my two pennies.

james

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
Crit'r Git'r,

If your serious about spending thousand's of dollars on a new boat, you really should travel to each manufacturer and talk to the people who build these boats. See for yourself how these boats are built and why one boat may cost more then another. And don't forget, aluminum is getting more and more expensive, there's a reason why some boats cost more then others. You have to go beyond skin deep. Ask about the hull design, flare, degree of entry, bottom geometry. And don't forget to ask about custom options, maybe something you'd like changed to fit your personal needs. Also, when you evaluate each boat, ask yourself if the design makes the boat stronger or just saves money.

At least this way you'll see and meet the people behind the boat, understand why each manufacturer builds a boat differently and allow you to make an intelligent decission. If you plan this far enough in advance, you can even set up a test ride.

When I did this researching my last boat, there was no question who built the better boat.....in ride, comfort, safety and durability.

And by the way, Boulton makes boats with 7 foot bottom widths and the 36 inch sides are perfect in my opinion. In rough water, a little extra freeboard is nice.

Really, it's a easy decission once you do the leg work and use a little common sense. It's also a matter of who you trust.

Just curious, how many people here who offered opionions have operated each of these boats? Or at least have traveled on each of the three. If anyone has, how do these boats rate compared to each other in ride and performance?

let the games begain.....enjoy, :cool:

Gregg

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't know a lot about those boat but I can tell you that yamah makes a strong motor, my boss has the 250 saltwater OB prop it will cruise 54mph at 4900 rpms up the columbia, he is pushing a 21' thunder jet with an 80 gallon tank I would guess the 225 prop could push a boat pretty nice also.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have a 20' Boulton with 36" sides.

If you are planning on heading out in the ocean...and ever plan on having someone over 6' in your boat... those 36" sides are really nice. About the time you take an unexpected swell and everyone goes scattering towards a side, it sure is nice t not get hit at the knees with your side height! Also... I wouldn't even think twice about going with the 22 foot if you think ocean fishing is a main focus for you. Lastly, ask them to increase the size of the bow holes if you think that is a concern.

Wait... one more thing. The guys from Clemens have been hard to deal with. I would try and buy directly from Boulton.

Good luck!

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have a 20' Boulton with 36" sides.

If you are planning on heading out in the ocean...and ever plan on having someone over 6' in your boat... those 36" sides are really nice. About the time you take an unexpected swell and everyone goes scattering towards a side, it sure is nice t not get hit at the knees with your side height! Also... I wouldn't even think twice about going with the 22 foot if you think ocean fishing is a main focus for you. Lastly, ask them to increase the size of the bow holes if you think that is a concern.

Wait... one more thing. The guys from Clemens have been hard to deal with. I would try and buy directly from Boulton.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts