IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after a long haul of fishless days me and the boy have the a free pass for this weekend to go anywhere we choose.The wife is threatening to buy salmon if we dont come through with something this time.I would like to get the boy into a fish he hasnt hooked one all year and i dont know when we will get another pass.the boat is ready to go and so are we, just dont know where to go.i was thinking astoria but ive never been there before or done that type of fishing although im dying to give it a try.Although theres a lot of nooks going over bonny so whats a guy to do.im leaning towards astoria but would welcome input.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Read David Johnsons report under his little section on the front page and head to Astoria. Launch at Hammond and troll plug cut herring out in front of the Marina up the green Buoy line. Just rig up a diver (I like delta divers or pink ladies) then rig up a fish flash (I like chartruese color with silver prism)Connect the flasher right to the diver and then about 5-6 feet of leader and a two hook mooching rig. Plug cut your herring and hook it on there so it spins in a circular motion in the water. Count out between 15-18 pulls and troll with the current when its running hard and either way when the current is slow or slack. Watch what other boats are doing and where they are fishing.
Out in front of hammond has been producing well all season for us. We troll the 28-35 foot water right along the green buoy line. Incoming tide has been when the best bite occurs but you can catch fish all day. Talk to people down there to, most people are really friendly and helpful. I may be down there this Friday, but my dad will down there all weekend. He's about 6'5" and 300lbs,full beard, and pilots a 17 foot Alumaweld Stryker with a mercury 75 and 5 horse kicker. The boat has green lettering on it. If you see him ask him for some help and he would be glad to show you anything.

Be careful out there and good luck. If you fish hard you'll surely bring home some fish and then you'll want to go back to B-10 every year. :cheers:

·
Registered
790 Posts
I fished outside the Hammond Marina for about 2 hrs on Sunday morning, with not too much luck. I also only saw about 10 fish caught, and for all the rods in the water, I didn't like my chances so I ran across the river to the Washington side. I fished just east of the Megler Bridge and about high slack there was a very good bite on. I saw a lot of silvers caught, and landed two of my own in about a 1 hr. period. I also lost one. FIsh just as the fellow above mentions. I was using a Delta Diver, Silver Fish Flash, 4'leader and plug cut herring....15 pulls out. Put in your time and you will get one. Try to be there for the last two-three hours before high tide, and then for about an hour or two after high. I'm sure the Hammond side of the river had its moments as well, but I saw a lot more fish caught on the Wash. side, that day.....Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
do you have a radio on your boat? I will be down there this weekend too. I am really familiar with this area and would be happy to help out in any way.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
BCfishon1, tried to leave you an email but my computer said that your aol address was not valid. If you have an updated address send it to me. Thanks, Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts