IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard good things about these rods. I'm leaning towards getting a 2 piece 8'6" 15-50 for steelies and salmon. Can I use braided tuff line on this? It has chromium guides.

Click here to see the jewel :smile:
Cabrelas

·
Registered
893 Posts
I give a big thumbs down to the Buzz Ramsey rods. In fact, I will never by another Berkley rod of any kind. I've had two rods ever fail on me (notice I didn't say broke, as in stepped on or slammed in the door) -- first was a Berkley Lightning Stick (bass rod), and a few months ago my light action Buzz Ramsey steelheading rod. No more Berkley for me.

Spend a little more and get a a low end Lami.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I like mine. The Cabelas price is a good deal, cheaper than I got mine for. :shocked:

Don't know about the braided line.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I use 'em everyday with 50# Tuff line with those guides. No problems.

If you're boat fishing consider the 7'9 one piece,perfect action for just about any type of fishing.

I use the 15-50 with 50# tuff for bobber fishing in the fall, the work great on those coastal nookies. :grin:

Chris :cool:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have two of the 7'9" one piece 15-50 rods I use for Sturgeon and Salmon. I have braided on one and Power Pro on the other. They both perform great and you can't beat the price. GI Joes in Sherwood has them on sale for $59.95. I like the 7'9" for trolling and fishing out of the boat.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Why buy a lower end Lami that sucks when you can almost buy two Berkley IM-7's that perform flawlessly. A No Brainer not to mention the warranty that comes with the Berkley IM-7 @ Bi-Mart.

Sammy

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have been very happy with my 8-12# IM7. For it's price range it has a very good feel and I have had no problem with breakage. I fished it for three years before I upgraded to Rainshadow and Loomis, but it still gets fished once ot twice a year.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Why not just buy one local?

the 15-50 is perfest medicine for nooks. A bit heavy for steelies IMHO.

Nice sticks.

Dawn got a Buzz rod for X-mas( pretty great wife. She gets an 8-12 under the tree and loves it). Soon after she caught a steelie directly behing Buzz himself. Buzz hooted, Dawn giggled, I smiled.

Great sticks for the money.

Mark the fortunate husband, and the laying on the kitchen floor cause it is cooler there dog.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have 4 IM7 rods by Berkly and I love them. I did break 1 steelhead rod 6-12lb range but only because I thought it was one of my bigger rods and I tried to set the hook on a gator with it :hoboy: .

-6horse

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yes, my IM7 performed flawlessly :rolleyes:

I bought it because it was hard to swallow spending 150 bucks on a rod after I just spent 150 on the reel to go on it. Serves me right.

You get what you pay for. I will not pay for another Berkley. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it :grin:

Funny thing is that the week after I snapped my piece of crap Berkley, I stumbled upon a Lami Certified Pro (8-12 lb.) that was ridiculously marked down to $100 at G.I. Joe's. :dance:

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
I have a 15-50--2pc berkly im7 8'6"..I have used it for trolling for salmon in the ocean and bouy 10 good rod I just wish it was about a foot longer My soninlaw caught a nook that went close to 20 lbs. and a coho on it. I caught a coho on it but i was useing an ABU 5500C3 reel, the rod worked fine but the reel sucks.
DAB PS. my favorite rod is a Lamiglass G1344-T --9 ft. EX-Hvy --15 to 40 lb test line KENAI SERIES with an OKUMA Magda Pro 20 DX reel with 50 lb test Tuf Line for salmon fishing from a boat. My 2 fishing buddies have the Berkly 1 pc rods for trolling for salmon ,they love them .
DAB

[ 09-03-2003, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: DAB ]

·
Registered
720 Posts
I love my IM7. I have the 7'9" 15-50 backbouncer. It's caught tons of salmon, bottom fish and a couple of halibut too. I use 50# tuffline on it and it works great! My dad has one and he caught a 50# + halibut with it. They're the best rods we've ever had! :grin: Go to GI Joes and buy one on sale.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
If you are luck you might find one of these floating around Buoy 10 for the next couple of days. I lost mine over the side of the boat as we were on step. The flasher and diver caught the water and yanked the pole out of the boat. By the time I circled around the cork handle had slipped out of sight...

Anyway it was the 1 piece 15 to 50 and in my opinion it was a hair too stiff. I could manhandle any fish I ever hooked and it took a little of the fun out of it. I think it would be perfect for keeping big nooks out of snags during bobber season, but for my normal trolling, it was too stiff. Yea sure it could take the heavy weights and super-divers where you needed them, but then you were fighting that super-diver and lead back with the fish.

I hear they are nice back-bouncing rods though...

·
Ray S.
899 Posts
Great deals on Lamis at the factory showroom in Woodland. Check it out some time.
Ray

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I have an 8'6 and a 9 foot 15-50 and love them both. Graet gator rods for the lower Columbia. Any thing 10 oz and under. Can't wait to try them bobber fishing the coast this year.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I have the med-heavy and use it for trolling plugs and throwing spinners...with so far up to 4 ounces and have had no problems, it has the chromium guides also, so far biggest fish on it was about a 45 lber....foul hooked it, had to let it go. I think they are a great rod, especially for the $$

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have 2 8'6" 15-50 and love them. I run 65# tuff xp and they handle it just fine. This is my first year fishing braided line and for boat rods I will never go back to mono. Can't convince myself to try it on the drifters yet. As far as the rods go I highly recommend them. Great bang for the buck.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I have only one problem with my two IM7's spincasting rods. The guides are lined with to soft a material. I'm not sure if it's polished aluminum or stainless steel but the top two or three guides on my rods including the tip top are line gouged, impressions in the metal. These impressions ruin line quickly. The saleman told me that I'm using to much weight in my slinkies. Well Mr. Salesman if I need 6 shot, I need six shot.
The bait cast rod IM7 that I use for pulling plugs does not get casted much and is in fine shape, so for me it's going to be IM7 for bait cast rod and spin cast well have to be another brand. To bad though as I really like the rod itself.

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Originally posted by Sammy:
Why buy a lower end Lami that sucks when you can almost buy two Berkley IM-7's that perform flawlessly. A No Brainer not to mention the warranty that comes with the Berkley IM-7 @ Bi-Mart.

Sammy
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Let's play fair and try to stick to some semblance of fact, boys and girls.

Lamiglas's AC/AS series is the same price point as the Berkleys and has the same warranty.

Sucking is in the eye of the beholder or the abuser, depending on the circumstance. :hoboy:

It is also an IM7 blank and has the advantage of being produced by a local NW company that stands behind it's products as well or better than any factory out there. :smile:

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
edit: sorry, posted twice

[ 09-04-2003, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: cully ]

1 - 20 of 48 Posts