IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Sounds like there are some folks on this board with flats fishing experience so I thought I would post a question related to Belize. I am in the process of the planning a trip for next spring with my wife and two boys, 8 and 6. We are planning on going to two or three different spots and I am thinking we should spend at least a few days on South Water Caye. I guess in my mind, it is a place were I could fish on my own on the flats surrounding the caye and maybe get my kids into a fish or two on spinning gear. I have fished for bones a few times so I feel like I would have a pretty good chance at success if they are around. Don't have the budget to do a lot of guided fishing on this trip and I want to spend most of my time with my family so I am hoping this is possible.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! I saw the map with South Water Caye on the hurricane thread and thought there might be some knowledge here I could tap into.

Thanks,
John

· Registered
2,330 Posts
Good luck. You are biting off a lot. I'm no expert, but here is what I do know...

I fished Mexico this summer, and I suggest getting a guide for at least one day. I took my mother in law (who was fishing spinning gear) and mixing techniques from one boat was tough. We covered a lot of water to find the fish we did catch. Being in a boat was essential on these expansive flats.

Moving that much is tough with kids in tow. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you might be better off saving up for a one day "dad goes with the guide to figure things out" trip, and then do what you can with the kids afterwards.

· Registered
423 Posts
Hi John, i have stayed on SouthWater a few times and always had a great time. There are a couple of flats on the island that have bones coming up onto them with the tide and the fishing can be good. My trips were booked through http://www.belizeflatsfishing.com/index.html and if you go through there web site you will find a lot of info. It is a nice place and i have really enjoyed my time there. You might want to budget a one day guide trip as the boat rides are fun and you can see and catch a lot of fish, this is a link to write up i did after my last trip there,
http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5737
Good luck and have a great time, brian

· Banned
2,254 Posts
I have a friend who stuck three bone fish off the dock at his resort....sometime people don't fish certain areas cause "there cant be fish there"

give it a shot....obviously it has to be on a flat still

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.