IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've really never had what I thought was a good intro story and I'm not sure that this one really qualifies as good but I figured it was about time I got around to introducing myself.

A few weeks ago a friend and I drifted the Deschutes from Warm Springs to Trout Creek to do some fly fishing during the later part of the stone fly hatch.

The morning started off well with a couple rainbows and a few white fish for each of us, but as afternoon progressed the fishing got pretty slow. Well when the fishing gets slow out there it has always been productive for me to pull the drift boat over and work the small out of the way spots. Instead of fishing drifts I start looking for small holding water behind single boulders or grassy hummocks.

So we pull the boat over under some willows and I beat the bushes down to a spot above a single boulder that was about 5' out from an otherwise featureless bank and drift my favorite caddis fly (Fox's Poopah) through there and wham a nice Redside comes to the net after a brief struggle and some branches slapping me in the face!

After another 20 minutes fishing that spot I decided to head on back to the boat to find something to eat. I'm walking along and day dreaming a little thinking that it is strange that this will be my first trip to the Deschutes where I haven't seen a rattlesnake. Oh well ho hum. Not more than 10 steps down the trail I hear that rattleeezzzzzz right under me and then I'm about 8 feet in the air! When I landed it sounded like it was under me again so I jumped sideways and landed a few more feet away. I looked back to where I had been standing and saw a little (16") rattlesnake sliding through some rocks not more than 2 feet from where I had been walking. I don't know if I stepped on him or not (probably not) but if I didn't, he had to have been within a foot of my foot. With the adrenaline rush I wasn't sure if I had been bit and just didn't know it or not. So after a quick self check (not just of my foot!) I headed back to the boat. It sure would be nice if the snakes were like bears and I could just wear a bell on my vest so they would hear me coming!

Thanks for all of the great stories and information!

Kevin Newell

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Snakes :shocked: Wow thanks for the great story
:cheers:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Good story. Rattlesnakes? :shocked: I've run into lots of them while fishing Lake Lenice and the Seep Lakes in central Washington. They really get the adrenaline going. :shocked: Don't they?

·
Registered
588 Posts
great story, kinda reminds me of that saying "Lions & Tigers & Bears Oh My" you weren't walking down a yellow brick road were you :laugh:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm no snake expert but it seems like there are two different types of rattlers on the Deschutes. The type I usually see are the small tan variety, but occasionally I will run across a much larger dark brown almost black type (timber rattler maybe?). I know they both can lay a hurtin on ya but it's the big ones I really give an extra wide berth!

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
Great story. I love those Deschutes rattlers.
Last year I was steelie fishing with my wife a few miles up from the mouth and we came across a big one held up in a small pocket of rocks next to the trail. Now of course I really have a love affair with any snake, so I had to stop, crouch down and proceed to talk to the big girl. My Wife thought I was nuts :shocked: , even though she knows this is my standard practice. She can appreciated a good snake too, so she was'nt too freaked. After about five minutes she grabbed me by the hand and dragged me away. I've come in contact with them on many trips, expecially on the crooked. Sure they can bite, like if you surprised one by stepping on it. They do however for the most part just want to get away. They are usually very passive and will just retreat. Just in case though, a snake bite kit thrown in the fly vest sure does'nt hurt.
Welcome to the group! Cooter!
GBS

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After all of this Deschutes talk I really need to get back out there! It's about time for the Steelheading to start picking up. I wonder if anyone has had any consistent hook ups on the lower river?

I'm glad to here your wife can appreciate the snakes! My wife is hard to drag to the Deschutes for an over nighter because of all of the snakes! She isn't very fond of them! They sure are a sturdy animal to be able to handle the climate extremes that they get over there.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Good story Cooter. I had a close encounter similar to that once. There is no mistakin that buzz. Welcome.

Finnman

1 - 8 of 8 Posts