IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the tides are going to be just about right to go out and get a couple of limits of clams tomorow night. Looking for a beer batter :cheers: to cook them up in. Any help would be great. Also about how hot should the oil be? Right around 350 or so. Thanks alot.

notaclue

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I am a true lover :dance: of fried razor clams, my absolute favorite, but I have never heard of using beer batter/or any batter prior to frying them. It may work I don't know.

I can give you a great recipe for "breading" them though. It's so simple (my favorite kind) you don't even have to write it down.

Here ya go:

1-Pkg./tube of saltine crackers.
put in the blender and blend until fine like cracker meal.

1-cup of white flour.
1-Cup of yellow corn meal.
Optional: Your favorite spices. I add a little garlic powder, lemon pepper, Johnny's seasoning salt, etc.

Combine the above ingredients into a glass baking dish and mix well wih a whip.

Pour a little half n' half/milk into a bowl.
Beat an egg in another bowl.

Dunk the clam into the milk, then give it a bath in the beaten egg. Drop the clam into the breading mix and pat/cover sufficently with breading mix.

Repeat this process until all clams are breaded.
(The amounts above will bread about 20 clams). Just leave 'em lay in the breading until all are breaded.

Now you're ready to cook. 375-400 degrees. Cook 'em hot & fast. No more than 10 seconds on each side. They should be closer to "Golden" than brown. DO NOT OVER COOK...they will be "Rubbery" if you do.

Try this recipe ..........it's awesome.

Good diggin' & good eatin'...Yum, Yum.
Pat

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I use pride of the west.Use beer in place of the water, it helps if its flat. You can speed up the process by pouring into a glass an stiring quickly to release the foam etc.
Heat oil to 375. submerge clam in batter and immerse in the hot oil. Be careful to cook only 2 or 3 mins max. the batter may be light in color but the clam cannot stand any longer while deep frying. It will turn to leather with prolonged deep frying.
Season with salt immediately after removing and let drain on paper towels 1 to 2 mins and serve!!
Enjoy!! :wink:

[ 11-06-2003, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Fshklr ]

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,260 Posts
Premium taste: dip very dry clams in tempura and then in Panko flakes. Deep fry whole clams for 1 minute 30 seconds at 350 degrees (thats the perfect temp for my fryer. Your temp may vary). Perfection.

[ 11-06-2003, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I've tried them all and the best way to fix razor clams is with Panko. Follow these steps and you will have the best clams ever.
1. Shake clams in a bag with flour and seasoning
salt.
2. Dip clams in egg (beat well with a hand mixer).
3. Coat with Panko and fry until golden brown in
about 1/2 inch of oil.
For best results precoat all clams and lay them out so you can drop them in one at a time. I usually don't fry more than 3-4 clams at a time.
Good eating....Yum!! Fishrite :cheers:

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I got this recipe from the halibut charter in AK, it's great for onion rings, mushrooms, even halibut. Use good beer!

Beer Batter Halibut

1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 egg whites
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 cup beer

2 lbs. halibut in 2" cubes

oil for frying

Mix flour, salt, oil and beer and let rest for half an hour.
When ready to fry, heat cooking oil to 375 degrees.
Beat egg whites to firm peaks and gently fold into flour batter.
Dip fish in batter and then fry in hot oil, a few pieces at a time.
When golden brown, remove cubes from oil and drain on newspaper.
Salt and serve hot.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I dip clams in egg/milk. I take 2/3 Krustez tempura and 1/3 cracker meal, add a touch of salt (tempura has some in it already) add some pepper. I roll the clams in the above mix, put them on a plate. Put a layer of wax paper down and stack some more on the wax paper. I get nuco (doesn't burn) or oil smoking hot. I put three clams in the pan, start turning the first one. After I turn all three clams, I add three more. I then take the first three out as they are done. Don't know how long they cook for (probally 20-30 seconds) but thats my procces. Repeat until all are done. Enjoy!................Bobber Down

·
Registered
50 Posts
I haven't tried it on razors but use 1/2 sourdough starter, 1/2 krustez pancake batter (on the thin side). I use this for onion rings (some say better than Ringside). Also, you might want to use peanut oil.....it has a higher smoking point so you can get it hotter to cook the clams faster.....seems to preserve tenderness

1 - 10 of 10 Posts