IFish.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any recipes for beef ribs? Not the flanken style, or short ribs. I'm talking about the big, Flintstones style ribs. I've cooked lots of pork and flanken ribs, but have never tried regular beef ribs.

I'm mostly interested in cooking styles and times. I smoke cook pork ribs on a low temperature for 5 to 6 hours. I think that would be to long for beef.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
My favorite, from Stephen Raichlen (I highly recommend all of his books - he's a master):

Meat
2 racks beef long ribs (beef back ribs), 5 to 6 pounds

Rub
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons coarse salt (kosher or sea)

Shanghai Barbecue Sauce
1 cup hoisin sauce
1/3 cup Chinese rice wine (Shaoxing) or dry sherry
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 1/2 cups wood chips or chunks, soaked for 1 hour in water to cover, then drained
2 tablespoons chopped scallion greens or chives, for serving

1. Prepare the ribs: Place a rack of ribs meat side down on a baking sheet. Remove the thin, papery membrane from the back of the rack by inserting a slender implement, such as a butter knife or the tip of a meat thermometer, under it. The best place to start is on one of the middle bones. Using a dishcloth, paper towel or pliers for a secure grip, peel off the membrane. Repeat with the remaining rack.
2. Make the rub: Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
3. Make the Shanghai Barbecue Sauce: In a nonreactive saucepan, combine the hoisin sauce, rice wine, soy sauce, sugar, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, ginger and minced scallions. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens, 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Generously sprinkle the ribs on both sides with the rub, using about 1 tablespoon per side and rubbing it onto the meat. (Any leftover rub will keep for several weeks in a sealed jar away from heat and light.) Cover the ribs with plastic wrap and refrigerate them while you set up the grill.
5. Set up a charcoal grill for indirect grilling and heat to medium. Place a large drip pan in the center of the grill. When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate. Place the ribs bone side down in the center of the grate over the drip pan and away from the heat. Toss half of the wood chips on each mound of coals. Cover the grill and cook the ribs until they are well-browned, cooked through and tender enough to pull apart with your fingers, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. When the ribs are done, the meat will have shrunk back from the ends of the bones by about 1/4-inch.
6. Just before serving, brush the ribs on both sides with the Shanghai Barbecue Sauce and move them directly over the fire. Grill until the sauce is sizzling, 1 to 3 minutes per side; watch carefully so the sugars in the barbecue sauce don’t burn. Transfer the ribs to a large platter or cutting board and let rest for a few minutes. Cut into 1- or 2-rib pieces, sprinkle the chopped scallion greens on top and serve the remaining barbecue sauce on the side.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Julezilla - I don't have a charcoal grill so I'm going to have to modify the cooking part. What would you consider to be "medium" heat? 300?

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
I'd say 300 on the high end, I might go a little cooler, 275 or so. It might increase the cooking time a bit, but they'll be nice and juicy. Alternately, you could start them on the gas grill, get some smoke on them for an hour or so, and finish them wrapped in foil low and slow in the oven. They take less babysitting that way.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'd say 300 on the high end, I might go a little cooler, 275 or so. It might increase the cooking time a bit, but they'll be nice and juicy. Alternately, you could start them on the gas grill, get some smoke on them for an hour or so, and finish them wrapped in foil low and slow in the oven. They take less babysitting that way.
Thanks!

I'm gearing up for our family's 12th annual Rib-O-Rama. Here's a picture from last year.

As you can see, the only beef ribs are the Korean style ribs. I want to add some bigger bones this year.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dinikin - Thanks for the link. The key point I picked up from that website is that it takes as long, or longer, to slow cook beef ribs vs pork ribs. Between your post and Julezilla's I think I'm ready to go!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
No problems.
I am BBQ cook/lover as well. Beginner actually.
I love burning seasoned wood down(cherry, apple, oak) and using wood coals only for my BBQ. Just like in old days. Lotsa work to do it that way.
Those pics above are just beatifull.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,157 Posts
A trick we learned this year is to marinate your ribs overnight before you cook them. We used pineapple juice, vinegar and apple juice. These ingredients break down connective tissue and flavor the meat.

We bought a cooler that is just for brining. It does our turkey for Thanksgiving and ribs in the summer. It says BRINE in big letters on the lid so we remember to only use it for brining to keep it clean and sanitary.

Freeze some 1/2 gallon jugs of water to keep the ribs and brine cool overnight. It doesn't melt into the brine and dilute it.

It makes a substantial difference in the tenderness of beef ribs.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hair's Ear, seeing the family rib fest picture ... is there an opportunity for my son to marry into your family so I can get invited to the family feasts :D:D:D??

I found the short ribs a good cut for this as well. The "Flintstone" style ones take up a lot of room in the pit. Now if I can figure out how to keep the brisket from drying out....

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I tried a rub this weekend that turned out well on boneless beef ribs. It includes:

3 Tbs Kosher salt
3 Tbs Brown Sugar
2 Tbs good Paprika
1 Tbs Black Pepper
1 Tbs Garlic Powder or Granulated Garlic
2 tsp Onion Powder or Granulated Onion
2 tsp good Chili Powder
1 tsp Dry Mustard
1 tsp Ground Oregano
1/2 tsp Cumin - more if you like Cumin
Caynne pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes to taste

I left the rub on the meat for 8 hours, in a glass dish, and then grilled as I would steak. For one side, I prepared rice (real rice, not instant).

1 Cup rice
1 Can Beef Consomme
1.5 Tbs butter
The liquid that collects in the bottom of the dish from the seasoning beef plus enough water to add up to 1 cup.
Healthy pinch of Kosher salt.

Toss a lump of butter into a saucepan, melt. Add rice to melted butter, cook over medium heat, shaking often, until a goodly percent of the rice has parched. Add the consomme, then the combined liquid from the seasoned beef and water. Toss in a healthy pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, turn heat to low, cover, cook until done. If you run out of liquid before the rice is done, add more. If you have too much liquid when the rice is done, take the cover off and turn up the heat.

Enjoy.

OC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts