IFish.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for books and/or videos on bear hunting? Spring or fall either way. I’m in western Oregon if that makes a difference.

I’m looking for a new challenge and I’ve never pursued bear. I’ve searched all the threads and I know there are some top notch guys on here who are very generous with their advice over the years. I’ve learned a lot and I appreciate your generosity.

I plan to put in for spring bear for the first time. But honestly I figure there will be a multi year learning curve. So no rush. Im asking for tactics not spots. I’ll save the plea for honey holes for the annual 615 thread haha!

Cheers

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
My favorite bear hunting book is by Richard P. Smith, simply, "Black Bear Hunting". He has a lot of good information on areas all over the country and tactics, behavior and with different weapons.

In short, bears will be found around food sources. Springtime I look for areas that green up before others, cascara berries (subsequently it gives them the runs...so look for cow-patty like piles). I always like 4-6 year old cuts with a creek in the bottom...which are all over the place. Look for places were stumps and logs are torn apart.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Saylean, on huntwa has a great book. I'll see if I can get better info.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Look up “the education of a bear hunter” by Ralph Flowers. He killed many hundreds for private timber companies.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Gary Lewis Outdoors has several good articles on-line, re: Bear Hunting.

I also read his book "Black Bear Hunting: Expert Strategies for Success."

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Get your book and a lawn chair. This fall find where the bears are eating blackberries. About two hours before sundown, sit in the chair and read your book. When the bear comes out, shoot it. Any book will do.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Get your book and a lawn chair. This fall find where the bears are eating blackberries. About two hours before sundown, sit in the chair and read your book. When the bear comes out, shoot it. Any book will do.
Same as Northern B.C. only it's Oat fields instead of berries.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts

:yeahthat:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha! You guys are drastically underestimating my ability to get skunked.

·
Registered
23,878 Posts
Gary Lewis Outdoors has several good articles on-line, re: Bear Hunting.

I also read his book "Black Bear Hunting: Expert Strategies for Success."
Hey I'm in Gary's book. Even got me a signed copy.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Well, JerryM is exactly right ..You don't hunt bear ,you want to hunt bear food sources and the rest takes care of itself..

I didn't have have a book :doh:, but watched this unit last fall with a good supply of berries for 4 evenings...Seen 6 different bear and on the fourth sit a decent shooter came out... It is pretty much that simple..

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I try to tell people but most don’t believe me. It took me a decade to learn I was trying too hard and then success was easy.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Apple orchards work well also in the fall, at least my mom's did. Might have been a few deer and elk taken with that strategy also.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts