IFish.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I used the foam floats for salmon fishing. It was a new technique to me and I really enjoyed it. Im getting materials to make lots of these floats up, in different sizes for different weights etc, for my own use. It doenst take a rocket scientist to make these..a little tube foam, a little tubing, a little paint and bingo done.......I didnt know if anyone would be interested in some for steelheading or ? All I would ask is a small amount to cover my materials. I could make many of them up for a LOT less than you buy them in the store.......let me know
thanks
Russ

·
Registered
803 Posts
Fish-N-Russ, Thanks for the offer. Where can one purchase the materials to make these floats? I don't know if it would be worth the trouble to make them. Once you get your technique down, you don't lose very many. I've been using the same exact float for, maybe, thirty trips now. They are not all the same. Some are definitely better than others.

·
Registered
419 Posts
A fishing buddy was just telling me that he
use cork bobbers, when the river is low or clear.
Of course different sizes for different weights!
:bowdown:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I'd be willing to trade you some of my prototype jigs for a few of your prototype floats. Floats and jigs, a winning combination!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will post a 'prototype' picture later. No big deal if no one wants any.......I like tinkering with things like that and im sure will have some extra materials left over after I make some for myself :smile:

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Have made 'dink' style floats before. What you all are looking for is called "backer Rod" it is used in construction as insulation around windows. Its comes from 3/8 up to at least 1 1/2" X however many feet you want, comes in bulk spools sold by the foot. Use a hot coat hanger to melt the foam, then insert a coffee stir straw, like you find at mini-marts, with contact cement, Paint, and yoru off! Have fun making them! :cheers:

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Have made 'dink' style floats before. What you all are looking for is called "backer Rod" it is used in construction as insulation around windows. Its comes from 3/8 up to at least 1 1/2" X however many feet you want, comes in bulk spools sold by the foot. Use a hot coat hanger to melt the foam, then insert a coffee stir straw, like you find at mini-marts, with contact cement, Paint, and your off! Have fun making them! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I'd like to make an electric cutter that I can run the foam blocks through to cut them
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">If you use a hot-wire cutter, make sure you aren't using it on urethane foam. Urethane foams release poisonous gas when cut with a hot-wire.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I know of several good tinkerers who tried making their own floats. One BIG problem thay all had was getting paint to stick to the backer foam. The foam flexes and the paint doesn't. Then you end up with a pocket fill of paint chips. I knpw this from sad expirence.

There was a float known as Mr. Eda. They were bad about losing paint. Don't know if they are still around?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh sure Twitchs, give out the secret! :grin:

No actually like I said its not rocket science making these. I am using backer rod of several types.....trying to find one that takes paint real good. Like surecatch said, the paint staying on is the hardest part. Im thinking costwise in materials they will be less than 50 cents to make :smile:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've been fooling with some floats too. $3.00 a pop is just too much. I'll share if you will.

I'm using the bright orange or yellow noodles they sell at Walmart. The kind kidz use in the pool. About 5' long and then I trim and shape them. Melt a hole through the center and put a cocktail straw in there with a little rubber or contact cement.

Not perfect but I save a bunch. I'd like to make an electric cutter that I can run the foam blocks through to cut them into smaller diameter tubes, kinda like the cutters they use for nylon cord.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A alternative to painting the float is using colored tape. I use spinner tape in hot orange that you can find at any shop that has lure parts. The advantages are that it is strong and you can choose the color that you see best in certain conditions. Give it a try.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
If you use a bobber stop below the bobber as well as above it, you won't lose many floats. I use Power Pro above the swivel, and with a bobber stop below the bobber I have yet to lose one.

By the way, if you use FirstCast jigs they are made so well that you can catch fish after fish on them.

My complete jig fishing tackle box will fit in my pocket. One extra jig (different color) and one extra bobber. :grin:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hey guys - What kind of store sells backer rod? I, too, am going to am gearing up to try the bobber/jig set up for winter steelies. So far its looking like a couple of float sizes to match up with jig and weight combinations.

Dennis

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Fishnbus, pretty much any hardware store should have it, I try to get it from the window stores in town. You also use it to make Steelhead Rags. And like people have been saying, the paint does come off, I use a small can of model paint, and don't paint the whole float, I only dip the top 3/4" or so and leave the rest natural. Dip several times for thick coat. Lure tape also works fairly well, I've seen my friends insert tufts of yarn, liek a Steelhead Rag, into the tip, making a fuzzy little indicator top. As long as you can see it, do whatever works! :cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts