IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the years I have caught and eaten sturgeon I have never tried it BBQ'ed. Last night I got a wild hair and decided to do just that. I love sturgeon for fish and chips and poor man's lobster but man, it is awesome on the BBQ too.

I seasoned both sides of the filets with salt, pepper, lemon pepper, bazil, garlic powder and onion powder and rubbed it into the meat. Let it set for 10 minutes while the BBQ fired up. I just flopped it straight onto the grill as sturgeon holds together awesom unlike other fish. It takes awhile to cook it because of the thickness of the meat but it is worth the wait.

I'm kinda "old school" when it comes to BBQ so I like the kettle type BBQ with misquite brickets.
Stinks up the neighborhood real good too. :grin: So if you want to do some "Bam" type dish, try BBQ sturgeon. Yummy! :cheers:

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
C&E,

Gator on the BBQ sounds great, but i've gotta actually CATCH a keeper first :grin: Any hints or tips? Oh yeah...i'm a bankee too

- :dance: jokester

[ 10-22-2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: jokester ]

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I throw mine on the barbie about eighty percent of the time. I like to make a spicy creol rub and work it on one side of the fillet. The other side is just salt and peppered, it is wonderful.

Bernie,
You going back this weekend? I'm looking for a partner next Thursday and Friday. Let me know if your interested.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I cook sturgeon on a gas BBQ in a flat wire basket. I think the basket was orginally made for cooking chicken on a spit. It works well for sturgeon because one side is easily removed to put the fish in or out and turing the fish on the grill is easy. For seasoning I use Tony Chachere's, Original Creole seasoning on both sides. :tongue: Yum.

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris, I'm strictly a weekend fisherman at this time. Would love to go. But this weekend I am going to Tilly for my once a year trip so I can say been there done that. Taking the 2 boys and Pop's with me. Tides look good to me so if the weather hold out I'm there. Not sure What I'm doing the following weekend. Maybe chum up north if the rivers ever come down. Not looking to promising though. Could be doing the C&R program for sturg.

Jokester, I have seen lots of nice fish come from the rocks down below tanner creek. Also hamilton island below the bird feeder (smolt shoot) has produced well for bankies. A good local spot is from the Washington side of the dock behind the ford dealership in Camas. Lot of nice o'l boys that fish there. Just be courteous and they will treat you well.

Smelt up above with sturgeon feast and sandshrimp down below. Hint: Pickled squid has been known to work well.

[ 10-22-2003, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: CATCH AND EAT ]

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Chris,
Are you talking next Thursday, as in the 30th?

I am thinking of making one last trip as well.

Let me know,
Scott

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh Chris, almost forgot. Secret weapon... yellow in color. Ya know what I mean? :wink: :cheers:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Last night I got a wild hair and decided to do just that.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Oh sure, BBQ'd sturgeon instead of the rod class.. :wink:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Chris,

Looks like I'm in, I guess the boss isn't such a bad guy after all! :grin:

Scott

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Try this some time C&E that is if you ever catch another fish :wink: Make a cooking boat with foil that will hold the amount of fish you want to cook. You can use Salmon or Sturgeon for this, use gas or brickets.
First sprinkle Curry,Garlic salt or powder,small amount of Ginger and White Pepper over the fish.
Coat the fish with Mayo, it can be low fat if you like.
Cook untill it will flake with a fork. You can cook it right on the grill if you like, it is just a little messy done that way.

Fishalot

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fishalot, I've done that with Halibut and added panco crumbs too. It is an awesome taste. Now I'm hungry.

Got some left over from last night that has been cooked. I think I'll sear it and add some lettuce and 'maters to it and make a sturgeon hoggy. MMMmmmmmmmmm!!!!! Sturgeon. :cheers:

·
Registered
529 Posts
We normally barbeque it for 2 nights after a catch, and smoke the rest since it doesn't freeze well. Try soaking bite size chunks for an hour or two, or overnight, in Yoshidas Gourmet or Teriyaki sauce. Then barbeque just like that, or sprinkle on some Jake's blackening seasoning first (mostly black, white and cayenne pepper, paprika, thyme and oregano) if you prefer a little zing. Never had a guest who didn't take a 2nd round.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Hey bernie maybe I'll see you down there going over thursday night till sunday.

R.R.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
That would be cool, I have to check with the boss and see if I can get the day off, I will let you know. Would be nice to put the hurt on some sturgies.

Talk to you later.
Scott

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Greg, we will be fishing the main bay if the brown water settles down a bit. Talked to Get Bent at Sportsmans last night and he said it's pretty milky. Of course that might be in my favor with the luck I have at Tilly.

You gonna be in your drifter? I'll be in the sled.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts