IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see quite a few people mentioning BBQ chinook. Is this the best way to cook it? Anyone want to share a recipe (as if I'll ever catch one!) I guess I just need to put more time in the saddle.

·
Tuna! AKA Papermaker
3,157 Posts
There are no bad ways to cook springer, but bbq is really good. Here's a simple way.
One hour before cooking, get a cereal bowl of wood chips. Fill the bowl with water and let the chips soak.
Now make a double layer of aluminum foil about 6 inches longer than the fillet you're going to cook. Fold the edges up all the way around. Poke holes in bottom of foil.
Put fillet skin side down on foil. Put whatever seasoning you like on fillet. I like lemon pepper (lots) and a little garlic salt. Usually I'll put some butter on, although springers are so fat it's more of a flavor thing than a moisture thing. Some people like to cover the top with mayo. I also cut up a whole onion (mild) and completely cover fish with slices.
Now get you bbq good and hot. Put damp wood chips on coals or if gas on bars or lava rocks. Put fish on rack and close lid. Will usually take about 15 minutes but as soon as it flakes with a fork it's done. A spatula will pick it right off skin.
Make sure you cook about twice as much as you think you'll eat because it's going be GOOD. If there is leftovers mix with a little mayo for tomorrow's boat lunch.
Good luck and enjoy!! :smile:

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I don't know it it's the best way there are lots of tastes out there, but when it comes to most meat I cook 99% on the grill. For salmon I like to butterfly it and grill it several ways depending on my mood. In a foil boat with spices, butter, lemon and anything else you want it good. Sometimes it goes right on the grates, plank salmon is also real good. There are as many ways to cook it well as there are ways to catch it. :cheers:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Get some good maple syrup,and some good soy sauce.Put a cup or so of each in a suitable container.Add spinger fellet skin side up and soak 24-48 hours.Remove and dust with fresh ground pepper.Put er on the grill no need to turn don't over cook,go get a beer :dance: .

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Guarenteed to make you the hero of the BBQ
1. Filet fish...leave skin on...place skin side down on a piece of tin foil...cook half way thru
2. Baste exposed side with melted butter, season with lemon pepper, season salt, whatever else your wife tells you to use.
3. When fish is half done flip filet over onto a NEW piece of tin foil. As you peel the old tin foil away, the skin comes off with it.
4. Scrape away all the not-so-tasty brown fat along the lateral line
5. Season again with above seasonings and baste with butter
6. Finish cooking...serve...act humble as your guests rave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts