IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
A neighbor had this problem last year. Called the pros and learned that bats are actually good to have around. They will migrate south in the fall. That's the time to install your bat free chimney cap. Doing it too soon may trap the young ones inside before they are capable of flying out on their own. Good luck!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Sounds like you are doing the right thing by waiting them out. Shine a light on the chimney and sit there at dusk and watch to see how many you are dealing with. Our elementary school had a similar issue years ago. They shined a light and there were a couple of hundred people sitting out every night watching . There were thousands of bats in the old chimney for the boiler. I built a barn with gaps in the vertical siding underneath the eaves just for the bats. I have bat boxes all over as well. I mowed the pastures last week hundreds of dragon flies as well. Never seen that many.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Based on our experience there is a good chance these may not be bats. If you are hearing the ruckus in the chimney when the adults return it is likely chimney swifts. Look them up. They are noisy but I would wait for them to leave and then clean and cap.

·
Registered
16,459 Posts
If you have swifts, watch just before dark, it is amazing to see how they drop down into a chimney.

·
Registered
38,814 Posts
We had a Swift in the fireplace a couple of years ago. Cool creatures. Had never seen one before but it was obvious what it was. They have tail feathers like a woodpecker built for perching on vertical walls.

·
Registered
9,083 Posts
My chimney sweep says caps need big holes in them for fir/pine fires. He usually cuts all of the screen out. Otherwise, they collect creosote and stop the air flow, so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
My chimney sweep says caps need big holes in them for fir/pine fires. He usually cuts all of the screen out. Otherwise, they collect creosote and stop the air flow, so keep that in mind.
It’s all about correct Draft ,height of flue Usually16’Two feet above ridge if with in 10’ and 10’ away from walls etc.,size of firebox and flue diameter .Keeping the charge hot .Clean DRY wood.Outside air pressure /wind on chimney cap ,Anti Down Draft tops or accura tops could be needed .Spark arrester screens need to be left factory size .When we damper down for night is where creosote can build up even if all other parameters are met..Just have to slowly burn it off slowly 😳🔥.

·
Registered
38,814 Posts
I was bsing with some firemen one day who were tending a chimney fire. Asked if it was really necessary to put them out. They said no but the home owners like it when we show up.

A really good chimney fire looks like a jet engine on afterburners.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks guys I will watch to see if it’s bats or swifts. I think bats because my wife saw a small one in the firebox when we got home and they were very active at night. Also they were quiet the next day and didn’t make any sounds when I banged in the fireplace glass screen (like at night)

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I was bsing with some firemen one day who were tending a chimney fire. Asked if it was really necessary to put them out. They said no but the home owners like it when we show up.

A really good chimney fire looks like a jet engine on afterburners.
Those fireman a very incorrect .1)Some masonary chimneys don’t have a terra-cotta liner .Mortar joints fail ,and obvious voids are between bricks ,so now you have open flames going to where ever .
2)Masonary chimneys with a terra cotta liner ,still fail ,clay cracks ,joints fa I’lll etc .Same as #1, flamsge🔥😳.
3)pat N flues 😳,Hated these. ,terra cotta liner ,mortar at joints , mud rings/bands at joints ,snap lock pipe casing over terra cotta .Some terra cotta pipe could easily be 100 pounds plus when wet ,have install them in the chimney chase dog box😡.16”-24” diameter x24-36” joints😳.Thise sucked .Correct clearances ,firestops , straps ,what real gas.
4)Stainless steel metalbestos /dura chimney ,have seen the flue fires , completely collapse the pipe , looked like they were run over by a garbage truck.

I have had to put out so many flue fires ,those suckers burn hot .An old neighbor had so many flue fires the dura black was like A fish net rust and heat destroyed the pipe.,He never noticed it .I replaced his system twice , from his original install ,with quality materials .He was doing something wrong 😳🔥

·
Registered
9,083 Posts
It’s all about correct Draft ,height of flue Usually16’Two feet above ridge if with in 10’ and 10’ away from walls etc.,size of firebox and flue diameter .Keeping the charge hot .Clean DRY wood.Outside air pressure /wind on chimney cap ,Anti Down Draft tops or accura tops could be needed .Spark arrester screens need to be left factory size .When we damper down for night is where creosote can build up even if all other parameters are met..Just have to slowly burn it off slowly 😳🔥.
Uh no, if the cap is cold, and there are any vapors at all they will build up on the cap screen. If the holes are small, it won’t take much. In my case, not even a whole first season. Btw, the chimney didn’t even need cleaning other than the cap. Yep, the wood was dry and burning hot … until it didn’t. My downstairs high efficiency insert is the one with a cap for the oval insert flue in the chimney. My conventional fireplace doesn’t have a cap at all like most older fullsize chimneys.

But, maybe it’s not as cold as you are as MT or you are far less than 4500 ft, and maybe those might be a factor. My sweep team definitely knows what they are doing after decades of maintaining and building chimneys in the area.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Uh no, if the cap is cold, and there are any vapors at all they will build up on the cap screen. If the holes are small, it won’t take much. In my case, not even a whole first season. Btw, the chimney didn’t even need cleaning other than the cap. Yep, the wood was dry and burning hot … until it didn’t. My downstairs high efficiency insert is the one with a cap for the oval insert flue in the chimney. My conventional fireplace doesn’t have a cap at all like most older fullsize chimneys.

But, maybe it’s not as cold as you are as MT, and maybe that might be a factor. My sweep team definitely knows what they are doing after decades of maintaining and building chimneys in the area.
Burn hot as possible we use Double wall dura black DVL ,Stainless liner ,with Black outside double wall .Can use a stove flue indicator/Thermometer .I live at multiple locations during a year , two are at 7000 ‘plus sooo it might be cold to some just right for me .Main problem with build up is crap wood ,mountain states have soft would species ,aspens etc , need to clean with some cedar or have some madrone trucked in .If you don’t see heat waves or rain bowed discoloration At chimney cap it’s to cold .Snother thing is a stove that is intended for say a 6” flue and an 8” flue used .May never get hot enough .
Elbows are another issue 😳🔥

·
Registered
38,814 Posts
My FD conversation was a long time ago when chimneys were actual brick. Yes, real brick was used for lots of stuff at one point in human history. I wouldn’t trust anything built with substitute products.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
My FD conversation was a long time ago when chimneys were actual brick. Yes, real brick was used for lots of stuff at one point in human history. I wouldn’t trust anything built with substitute products.
Were you around when they quit giving you straw but still expected you to make quota?

Reactions: DogZilla15

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,314 Posts
Did you ever figure out if they were bats or swifts? Still noisy?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts