IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came home after a month away and my chimney is alive.. As soon as I walked in, I could here them. Last night I hit on the fireplace screen you could here the adults exciting. All night you could here the adults bring back food and all the little ones erupted with excitement.

So google tells me, I need to make a one way exit and have to wait till August for the babies to big enough to exit as well. Then have a cleaning done to get rid of guano.. I already had measured/drawn up a chimney cap as this is a new house for us and knew we needed one.

Any advice or experience with this?

Thank you Josh

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
As much as I like the fire idea, you’re probably on the right track. For some reason, there are laws about bats and their eradication... Call a reputable exterminator. They’ll give you a legit answer on your options...

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
What does bat guano go for these days??
Best fertilizer. Family friend had several bat boxes in his barn in Stayton... no mosquitoes and his blueberries were the size of grapes. Not sure I'd want it in my chimney though.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
At least they’re not in your belfry.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,314 Posts
Or you can wait until August, install the excluder, add the cap and clean your chimney. If you just moved in it is likely that this isn't the first year the bats have used the chimney or there wouldn't be so many of them. And even if it is the first time you still need to have the chimney cleaned and inspected before you light a fire. Just from a safety aspect as you don't know what kind of maintenance the old owners did.. Enjoy the mosquito-free yard and use a white-noise machine if they keep you awake. It is just for a bit longer.

·
Registered
38,814 Posts
We have a healthy population of Dragon Flies this year to keep down the mosquitos. They eat a lot of them.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Had them in a camp we rented 2 years ago back in NY... much bigger than any I've seen growing up there or living here in OR. Didn't know they were there until the teenagers started screaming at 2am. My cousin down the street woke up in the morning to find a pile of kids asleep on the floor. Lol

Son insisted we catch them and release unharmed. Was about to say something before he released the 1st catch but decided instead to enjoy his coming aha moment. He was so proud to release it. Of course... it flew straight to the chimney and back into the house. :ROFLMAO: Bats are SuperCool.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Call China meat markets. They’ll culture it so we can ALL get a whiff

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,314 Posts
We have a healthy population of Dragon Flies this year to keep down the mosquitos. They eat a lot of them.
They do, but they don't fly much until the sun is high and warm. They eat a few hundred a day.
Mosquitos are most active at dusk and dawn before the breezes pick up. Happens to be prime bat hours too.
A little brown bat (mostly what we have around here will catch about 1000 mosquitoes and other insects an hour. A nursing mother will consume about 4,500 insects every night.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts