IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still fairly new to drifting, and smart enough to not claim any perfection, how is this drift from Barton to Carver?
Is it a safe bet for a new drift boater?
I ran a drift boat years ago in the upper Deschutes while in college, not much white water experience to claim experienced.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
PS my new boat is a 17x54 willie
(I feel so much like a lost child, 30 years + bank fishing and catching rides with friends, now I'm on my own. )

Thanks,

Gregg

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ya can follow me down in my sled....J/K....

All depends on water level, and what the high water has done....To be very honest, and rather than tell you my view from my many trips......It really is best to hook up with someone from ifish and share a trip or hire a guide for that section of water at least one time. That will allow you to see the slots run the "typical holes"....as well as how are you on the stick...

If your not in a big hurry be more than glad to show ya down in either my DB or follow me down...

Sure there are otheres here that would do the same...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NETONE,
Thanks for the outstanding offer.
I've been on the bank & bummin rides for many years, so I'm not in too much of a hurry not to learn things right and safely.
I will be on the Deschutes this weekend, my boat won't be up from Central Point until first week of Feb.
I'll get in touch with ya then and maybe follow you down.Or bum a drift if you need an excuse for a shuttle.
I appreciate the offer, thank you.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I did Carver to Riverside first when I got my Willie.
I already knew that stretch from many raft trips down and it was perfect for my first time rowing the drift boat.
I also bought a book called Driftboats by Dan Alsup that was really helpful in learning.

I have since run from Barton many times and there are spots that can be a lttle tricky to the new drifter.

Good luck and enjoy that new boat. Central Point you say?
Enjoy that Willie, your gonna love it!

AL

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Carver to Riverside is less technical if you're trying to get warmed up.

I've floated Barton to Carver several times, I don't think it's that bad. I feel I'm conservative when it comes to the water, if it's at all risky I won't run it. Others may say the run is a piece-of-cake.

If your always cautious and have respect for the water you shouldn't have any problems staying out of trouble.

I haven't floated it yet this year but if I remember correctly from last year stay left at every fork.

Illness in the family may keep me home for a while, but if I can get out I'd be glad to take you. PM me, maybe we could get a trip together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts