IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
119,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather Station

Now, on my personal computer, the barometric changes are shown on a graph... but I have been fishing, and keeping track of those fast bites that happen on Tillamook Bay.

You know how fishing will be really slow, and then all of a sudden, the bite is on, and four or five rods will go off around you, within a span of about 15-20 minutes?

Well... Day before yesterday, the barometer was consistently falling. I got a report from Pete that there were very few fish caught outside, or around the jaws.

Yesterday, Bill and I went out. At 12:15 PM, one of those bites went on. I came home and checked the barometer record.

Precisely at 12:15, the barometer took a sharp rise. Interesting!

I can't explain it, but I am beginning to believe there really is something to it. Right now, the graph shows steady, but a rise from 5 AM to 6 AM.

I wonder if it's going to rise or fall today, and what the bite will be like.

You know.. I think I really need to study this for the benefit of all ifishers. I'd better get out there and begin gathering data. :smile: :smile:

Dontcha think? It will do us all good.

Jen

·
Registered
733 Posts
jennie, i was doing some research on sturgeon trying to figure out why the bite changes for them and read that they are especially sensitive to barometric pressures and will become less active when the barometer is falling. here is the web site where i read this. http://www.worldstar.com/~dlarson/sturgeon/kkartofstang.htm what web site do you use to monitor the barometric pressures? thanks joco

·
Registered
733 Posts
jen i just figured out where the weather site was by reading your last post more carefully... thanks

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Jocose,

I'll 100% agree with the sturgeon bite turning off with a dropping barometer. I've even found that the bite will be off for a half day or more when it stabilizes after a sudden drop.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
There is no doubt in my mind this has an effect on bites. A number of years ago I had a discussion with Jerry Toman about this phenomenon and he convinced me that barametric preasure had a great deal of effect on the bite.

Where I have noticed it the most is in the spring while fishing the Willamette. Small spring storms roll through quite often and we catch a lot of fish on the back side of these mini storms. If nothing else my confidence level rises and I really zone in on how I'm fishing.

I have a barometer in our family room and always watch it the day and night before we hit the water. Some times if the barometer is on the fall we make the decision just to stay home that day.

Like everything else the barometer is not 100% in dictating a bite but is another tool to use and think about before you head out.

Pearl

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I have spent most of my fishing time after trout.
It is funny to hear your thoughts on the pressure thing.
After many years of non-scientific study (fishing) several of us decided that the trout bite better with the low pressure.
High pressure always ment sun shine and a slow bite .
Low pressure always ment rain or overcast and good fishing.
Interesting. id.painter

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have fished the Puyallup river nearly every day in September/October for the past 3 years. I can confirm that the fish are definitly better biters when the barometer is on the rise. In fact, 1 year ago I asked my colleague at work who is a meterologist for a web site that tracked baro pressure in the area and have been watching the pressure and comparing it to the bite. It has definitly proven to me that there is a correlation.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
By pu-rvr-fshr
1 year ago I asked my colleague at work who is a meterologist for a web site that tracked baro pressure in the area and have been watching the pressure and comparing it to the bite.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Can you post a link and will this site allow us to monitor other areas?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I kept a fairly detailed fishing log for 14 years. Examination has shown that I rarely caught fish if the barometer was falling. Or rising. Or holding steady. Hmmmmmmm. Could there be another variable I'm missing here? :grin:

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
According to my extensive field research salmon go off the bite when the pressure is high. They also go off the bite when the pressure is low or medium.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts