IFish.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to Camas today to fish shad and sturgeon. We anchored up in our spot just on the edge of the channel near the camas launch. Some guys who looked like they had no clue came in and anchored toward the channel from us. Just as we were considering leaving we hear a horn blast from up towards I-84 and it is a barge coming down river. Personally knowing some captains and people in the buisness and for common courtesy, we always hail them on the radio well in advance and ask if we should move or if we will be a problem when we are near the channel. We had been missed by three others that day, but I asked and he said that the outside guy would need to move. We said we'd pick up anyway just to give him the extra room and he appreciated it. We pulled anchor and the other guy was still sitting there. In the mean time, the barge was bearing down on them and they were just reeling up. The barge by this time had already blown his horn three times with some really long blasts that are basically saying,"GET THE HECK OUT OF THE WAY!". WE got the anchor pulled and motored over to the guys and told them to get the heck out of the way before they get ran over. In an answer that deserves the Darwin Award, the guy said, "I didn't hear the 5 blasts. I only heard one blast!" We just said he doesn't have to blast 5 times to mean MOVE! Get out of the way. The guys just threw their buoy can over and motored out of the channel. By this time the tug had already had to change course so he didn't kill them. We told the tug captain he should have ran over their anchor for fun and he just chuckled. I bet sometimes they feel like running some of these guys over. Sometimes I wish they would get really close and really give people a good scare who don't move so they learn.

I have seen some crazy stuff over the years between Bonneville and Camas. I have actually seen guys pushing off the side of the barge as it went by because they said they didn't feel they had to move and the barge could go around. These things don't turn on a dime and they don't stop very fast either. They can't just go anywhere in the river either to go around your hogline. Most people know this already, but there is always those few that make things interesting.

Just my $0.02, but it is just the law of physics working when you challenge a barge. The barge will win! When these guys honk, get the heck out of their way. They have the right-of-way and you could be killed. If you're a novice and don't anchor in that area much, just stay out of the channel until you have had experience with anchoring and knowing the rules of the river. If you hail them on the radio, be polite and they will be back. A lot of them appreciate it if you ask them if you are in the way, but don't hassle them. Just remember, they are only doing their job.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a million Crashin' Bait :cheers:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anybody know if there is a webpage that would have rules for commercial navigation on it??? I would like to do some reading.

All of us at Ifish should make a rules and ethics book for the rivers and sell it for charity or something

1 - 4 of 4 Posts