IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Has anyone got any info on good bankie spots in the tilamook area?

A buddy and I want to come down during the week and fish. We are not part of the 10% so we need as much help as we can get please.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm not sure if it is time yet, but Hospital Hole (for pay access) is a decent spot for access to tidewater on the Trask river. It can get pretty crowded when the fish are thick, but my experience is that people are able to fish in sync without too much tangling.

Hospital Hole is off ??? road, just past the Tillmook hospital. There is a barn on the side of the road with a sign (or was it writing on the barn?) for the location.

You can also fish from the Jetty at Barview park. Nice area but be prepared to loose tackle on the rocks.

EDIT: After making this post I realized HH was not off HW101. I don't recall the name of the road, but if you follow the signs for the hostpital then continue past the hospital you we be there.

[ 10-05-2003, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: rustyl ]

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
To get to Hospital Hole, go west out of Tillamook towards Netarts, or the Three Capes Loop. When you pass the hospital, you'll see a bridge that goes over the Trask River. Just before the bridge, turn right onto a farmer's property. There is a shack there. It costs I think $4.00 to trespass on his property. Drive onto the property until you get to the crowd fishing. Best time to fish is low slack tide into the incoming tide, and second best is right before high slack tide until the tide starts back out. Of course, there are exceptions to the best times.

I lost my biggest salmon of my life there about 1991. I hooked one on a bobber, and played it for probably 30 or more minutes. I never saw it, and it was very heavy, and would occaisionally do the head shake thing, and run out, and I'd bring it back. Well, there is this snag in there called the "Alligator". It headed for that snag, and I couldn't get it to not head that direction, and snap goes my line. Just before I hooked that fish, another guy landed a 53 pound chinook right next to me. His fought the same, and took him forever to land it. However, his fish didn't go to the "Alligator".

I never saw that fish, but I've not played one quite like that since.

Although I have not done this, and don't quite know where they do this, but I've heard that you can cast spinners from Highway 101 north of Tillamook and south of Garibaldi into Tillamook Bay somewhere by the Ghost Hole. I've got a friend that landed one there casting spinners a few years back. If you see a bunch of boats trolling in the east side of T-Bay just south of Garibaldi, you are at that spot. I'm not sure where exactly that spot is, but I'm sure you won't be alone.

Good luck, and let us know how you do. Too bad we have to sit at a computer and can't fish today. I've not been able to go for a week and a half, and I can't go for a few days yet to come.

SKP

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
When you come into Tillamook on 6 take a left and then a right on 3rd St. The Hospital Hole is off that.

There's a boat ramp off 5th ST that you might find some limited access.

There's also some access on the Tillamook River, just take 3rd ST and take a left after you cross the Tillamook River.

Later on there will be bank fishing up the tribs but we will need a lot of rain, like inches.

Pretty much if there's some good bank fishing in any place on the north coast there is going to be a crowd.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts