IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought some might enjoy this

Bank Fishing Etiquette
With another summer steelhead season getting under way on the Deschutes River it seems an appropriate subject. The waters where large fish can be caught are our most cherished places. These places naturally attract numerous anglers. It is a physical law, the more moving bodies in an area the more friction they create. Some anglers seem to forget that fishing is supposed to be a recreation and that the other guy is entitled to have a good time too. Be kind to each other :smile:
"The New Lexicon Webster's Encyclopedic Dictionary" defines et-i-quette as: the rules of behavior standard in polite society. In this letter they are simple rules to help avoid conflicts while fishing. Most fishermen don’t want onstream conflicts, which are most often caused by someone’s ignorance or lack of fishing etiquette.

Rule #1: Do unto other fishermen only what you would have them do unto you.
It only stands to reason.

Rule #2: Give other anglers their space.
Solitude can be an important part of angling. Be quiet.

Rule #3: Communication can solve a lot of problems.
Talking to other angler can stop conflict before it happens.

Rule #4: The angler who gets there first has first rights to a piece of water.
If he doesn't want to share, leave!

Rule #5: Don't cut the other guy off.
Never get into a run ahead of an angler who is fishing. Some anglers can cover a lot of water in a hurry. Ask if you can follow or go to the next run.

Rule #6: Leave nothing but your tracks.
Leave nothing. If you have to go potty, bury it.

Rule #7: Don't hog the water.
Fish through a piece of water in a reasonable length of time and then let someone else fish.

[ 08-17-2003, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Stew ]

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
When someone in the hole hooks a fish...reel your darn rig in!

I dealt with this yesterday, and watched it happen two more times even after my fish took me to a snag with two other lines tangled in it!

It doesnt take a neurosurgeon to figure it out does it?

Oh, and crossing lines is not a big deal, but if you're on top, WAIT till the other guy reels in. (Also not something that takes MENSA level inteligence to figure out.)

[ 08-17-2003, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Row Vs. Wade ]

·
Administrator
41,369 Posts
Row Vee ... I suspect Stew is talking about the Deschutes where until recently fly fishing was the predominant method of fishing. Crossing lines while fly fishing is a definite "no no". In truth, the ethic used to be, one fisher to a run, which could be a hundred or two hundred yards long. Admittedly, some of that has changed since there seem to be a lot more gear chuckers on the Deschutes lately, but that's where the rub comes in. The latest group of fishers seem to have no understanding or knowledge of what they have walked into. For an old time fly fisher to have someone park 8 feet from them and cast a spinner over his fly line, a wrong has been commited.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Match the system and technics that others are using in the area. expect Leave the ALCOHOL at home and please remove your trash!! (line, hooks, tackle packs, line spools, bait containers, used baggies, beverage containers, etc.) :wink:

[ 08-18-2003, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: Fshklr ]

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
A couple things Stew

If a guy is planted in one spot and not moving I am certainly gonna cut him off if I want to fish the water below him. If he doesn't like it then he needs to move through the run like he is supposed to! but that falls under not hogging the water so it's just a matter of how you phrase it and it kinda depends on the run too

If your at the cable crossing on the west bank guys are gonna be parked all day I'd never expect to "fish through" there even if i was first. However if I am up at the outhouse I expect guys to be moving along..
it's all common sence and all covered by #1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I usually give guys planted to one spot, like the cable hole,about a 100 yard downstream "buffer" and about a 50 yard upstream buffer. I ran into a guy last week who told me he had fished the same spot (Cable Hole) since sun up and this was about 3pm!!!!
Poor etiquette will come from fly fishers too. Been cut off a few times by fly fishers too impatient to take their turn at the top of the run.

[ 08-18-2003, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Stew ]

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Pete, I read the same post geared to flyfishing and figured this was targeted to gear chuckers.

Yes, flyfishing is a whole new ball game. I wont even bring a flyrod on a weekend to a hole Im sure someone else is fishing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was originally posted on a fly website and I posted it here and on the fly board but I was mainly talking about the Deschutes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts