IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One person I know will not allow them on his boat and swears bananas contain a fish repellant; this seems to be a common story. A guide I know said he wrapped a Kwikfish with banana peel and caught a Salmon on it! Go figure…

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Well a couple of weeks ago I was in a hogline, this guy pulls in next to me and says this has been a real hot spot he had 9 takedowns the day before and the same a few days earlier. His fishing buddy proceeds to pull out a banana and eat it then toss the peel in the river. I make the comment that there will be no fish caught today. His partner had never heard of the cures of the banana so I filled him in on how much bad voodo there is in a banana peel. He laughed at me a proceeded to say we'll see. After 7hrs of no bites they were getting a little upset when I would mention the banana. :grin:

Last year fall fishing down by Longview my rod makes a funny move so I pull it up only find a banana peel on the hook. Fishing had been real good all morning with someone going out with a fish every 5-10min. Not 1 other fish was caught the rest of the tide.

We even caught this rare picture of the Coast Guard trying ot help ODFW curb the catch of salmon 2 weeks ago. :wink:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I dont believe in the nanner bad luck theory but the only two times I have been skunked (without a take down) salmon fishing I have had bananas on my boat so go figure :grin:

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
I think I saw that blasted CG helicoptor dropping the repellant a couple weeks ago! :grin: No wonder I haven't caught anything yet! I spend $67.00 on an out of state license and they drop bananas on me! :laugh: Go figure

- :dance: jokester

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
So we're out this weekend and my friend Bill cracks jokes about having a banana on board and proceeds to eat it early on. He gets two take downs and loses them both, my friend Dave and I both get fish (25lb Willamette Buck and a 15lb Upriver Bright Hen). Bill's a little ****ed so after we drop him off, he goes back out to Sauvies and fishes from the shore, hooks one and get's him in toward shore before losing it. Curse of the Banana.
I think it all originates in the South Sea's or Caribean, natives think banana's on board are bad luck. My friend says it's because the waxy coating they spray on the banana has pesticides in it and when you transfer that to your bait, the fish smell it and won't bite it. He says this while he's smoking a cigarette and reeking of that bad cologne his mom gives him for christmas each year ... don't take no chances, no banana's on board!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
While it may only be superstition, some people honestly take it to heart. Never forget the time I pulled one out of my daypack while bowhunting with a buddy of mine. He got all worked up, started yelling, if there would have been an elk for miles around his yelling would have chased it off.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I went fishing w/ a couple prominent I-fish guides last Dec. Even though a banana was consumed by one of the guides, the fish didnt seem to care...we still nailed 'em. :grin: :grin:

HC

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
There is a funny story about THE POWER OF THE BANANA....intitled .."Well RR?", on one of the other NW fishing boards....only reason I mention it, is becouse it happened to me and it's a true story that happened yesterday :wink:

[ 04-14-2003, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Rapid Robert ]

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I heard somewhere it was because tarantulas made their homes inside bunches of bananas and would be brought on board the sailing vessels when they shipped the fruit, thereby infesting the ship. I guess some of the sailors didn't care much for big, hairy spiders scampering over them at night. Never could figure out why that should bother anyone....

I'm not superstitious (yeah, right) but you'd have a better chance of getting a pistol on an airliner than a banana on my boat. :shocked:

Skein

[ 04-14-2003, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: skein ]

·
Registered
718 Posts
Just ask someone who has worked on a decent sized commercial fishing vessel if they had any bannanas on board. The way I heard it, the bannana is a symbol that represented the land gods. And we all know the land gods and the sea gods don't get along.

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
I use this stuff regularly.

For some reason, I can't seem to catch anything lately, but usually I do well!

Jen

Click here to learn more!

Now go do the right thing!

[ 04-14-2003, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
OK, I'll tell you a banana story.

Once upon a time, the kids and I and Bill went to the Columbia in August for salmon.

Andrew likes to make fun of Bill at times... He really got a kick out of the fact that Bill freaks out if there is a banana in the boat.

So, before leaving, Andrew tucked a banana in his coat pocket.

A little history: Andrew is extremely lucky, fishing. If you want to catch fish, take Andrew! It's amazing, he can limit out in no time flat, and he lacks the enthusiasm of some of us. He just hooks them and says, "Ohh... I think I have another..." and reels in a 40 pound salmon, like it was nothing.

So, with that cocky attitude, he stuffed the banana in his pocket, knowing full well that he'd be catching fish.

Turns out, we got skunked! We were out there for hours and we had no take downs...

Pretty soon, I see a banana floating past the side of the boat.

I looked up, and Andrew had this look on his face:

:shrug:

Then he pleadingly whispers to me, "Don't tell Bill!"

Well, turns out we still didn't get any fish, but I think Andrew understands the banana thing now.

I never did tell Bill, and for Andrew's safety, I hope you don't either! :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
113 Posts
So! Don't be laughin' when you see our boat sporting a branch of Lucky Bamboo!!!! If you believe bananas are bad luck....better believe Lucky Bamboo IS lucky! :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
After 2 fish to the boat and watching 12 boats around us all catch fish one trip, then on the next rip up this is all we caught or saw caught.
Fish checker at dock said 49 boats checked and 5 fish total. We could not understand what had happened until we reeled in to head home and THIS was on the line!
Ron

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Several years ago while fishing on the Alsea, we trolled past some friends while eating lunch. One started making fun of me because I was eating a banana. :shocked: When we passed them again about an hour later, I threw the peel at him. It hung up perfectly on his rod tip and when he tried to shake it off, it slid down his line and into the water. He screamed at me like a little girl and it was pretty embarassing to be around him for the rest of the afternoon! :grin: :wink: :grin:

He went home, washed the reel & rod until the finish almost came off and stripped the line off the reel and put new line on. His wife called me that night and was almost sick from laughing at him. :laugh: He was mad at me for weeks after that!!!
I now throw banana peels at him every chance I get... :grin:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts