IFish.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hooked up with a fellow Ifisher today who generously offered a couple of open seats out on the Columbia for summer hogs. Mr. A and I took him up on his offer. Our generous Ifisher host shall remain nameless for reasons that will become painfully obvious. Let's just call him Mr. X.

We put in at Chinook landing at around 4:30AM. We went up the river in the dark to just past the mouth of the Sandy. After about a dozen attempts next to two different hog lines,
we just couldn't seem to get the anchor to set. We decided to head down stream and try and find a better spot to anchor. :blush: Mr. X asked me if I'd like to drive and I said "sure!". On the way back down, I hit a patch of weeds and plugged the jet.
Unpluged the jet and off we went, with Mr. X at the tiller this time.

We ended up at the upstream tip of Government island. The anchor set great there and we got to fishing. We threw everything at them, we all had a selection of spinners in different sizes and color. The other two had some plugs, and they gave them a shot. We added scents, wrapped the quikfish.... Nothing, not even a nibble. Oh yea, I did bring a nice, big, fat, ********* :mad: up to the boat! OK, about 4 hours of that and we decided to act on a tip and try another spot by the 205 bridge.

At the bridge, same story, 3 or 4 hours of nothing. Except this time I caught a nice, big, fat, STICK. :mad:

Well about this time our host, Mr. X decides he's a bit hungry and digs into his bag for a snack and lo and behold, what does he pull out!! BANANAS, :shocked: not just one but 4, you heard me right!, FOUR BANANAS. :shocked: Mr. A and I just about jump out of our seats, "You're kidding Mr. X! What were you thinking? Havn't you heard the stories about bananas? Poor Mr. X didn't have a clue. :shrug:

I've heard the stories. I read the jabs at other ifishers, team banana, bananaboy, etc. I've never put much stock in such nonsense, however. I thought it was just superstition, about as silly as a pitcher not changing his socks during a streak, Until now..............

[ 07-05-2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Woody ]

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Now that's ******* hilarious!! ROFLMAO. :laugh: :laugh:
What a way to test the mojo and karma.. :shocked:
Sounds like everybody tried too hard to get into fish..."You guy's want a snack?..I brought 4 orders of yellow fever!!" :shocked:
Good luck you guys...sorry for the laugh but it is a funny story!! :laugh:

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
Woody,

Sorry to here about your unfortunate luck. It was still a nice day to spend on the river.

I do how ever need to examine your description of what happened.

Anchor won't hold.....

Weeds in the pump.....

No fish......

Coincidence ? I think not !!!

Remember the day that you hooked and landed your first springer. What was the first thing you saw when you got in the boat.

I,m a believer !!!
:grin:
Stay in touch

Pearl

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'm with David 100%, bananas don't hurt your luck at all. We have limited our boat several times with bananas on board. I caught several fish just after and before I ate a banana :grin:

Great Pictures David
:cheers:

·
Registered
491 Posts
aw,cmon,woody,you don't really believe in all that silly banana stuff do you? :tongue: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: now.....i do believe in a lucky rod...... NS

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Don't be misled by DJ's picture of "bananas" in the boat. Those are actually Kwik-Fish that he has made just for him. He takes off the swivels and hooks whenever pictures are being taken. So far the secret has held up.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[ 07-06-2003, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Woody ]

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Was that you on the out side of the line? That was us on the inside. We were in the Maroon boat that said STZII on the side of it.
We were the ones that caught fish. :tongue: I picked up the Jack, and STZII missed one. and Rich, the guy in the white NR that nailed the 14 Lbs'r is a friend of mine that I fish with during the week. :cool: Gizmo man and the dog (gizmo)were unsucessful on this trip.

I thought I would let you know that each one of us had bananas. Did you see that I had a banana peel hanging over my rod, sort of a strike indicator. :shocked: So did Rich, the guy in the NR. :dance:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, that was us. I saw the ifish sticker on the boat and thought of asking what your screen name was, but decided not to. Nice little jack!!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly, I know it wasn't the bananas. I was just trying to find a little humor in a bad situation. I made light of some of the things that happened to us that day but the fact is.......It was a really bad day. Sometimes people just make their own luck, good or bad. I remember someone here saying that you have to keep a positive attitude, you have to really BELIEVE your going to catch a fish. Well, if that's the case, I was doomed from the minute that we tried to set the anchor that morning. I was thinking to myself, "This is going to be a loooong day if it keeps going like this", and it was. In fact, if my truck was parked at the ramp, instead of up in the Freddys parking lot, to save a lousy four bucks, I would have him drop me off, and I would have gone home and gone back to bed!!!

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
The number of banana's in the boat is equal to the number of fish in the box!! :shocked:

Team Banana, Forever!!!!!
:bowdown: :laugh:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I agree bananas can be a real problem. Unless we have bananas on board we can't seem to catch any fish. The more bananas we have the more fish we DO catch. :smile:

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
My dad always had a bunch of bananas on board, and limits of salmon were not uncommon.

The biggest Columbia chinook I ever caught bit while I was eating banana bread.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Woody, As for the attitude of you must think or know you are going to catch a fish to be able to catch a fish, here is my 2 cents worth.

My first springer was caught when I was on the cell phone with my wife asking why was I doing this. Spending all this money on gear and gas and wasting good vacation time for nothing. My buddy and I had been going out at least 3 days a week for a few weeks. We were watching everyone around us catch fish but we couldn't catch anything but weeds and braches. Anyway while on the phone with my wife, I was about to tell her I give up when the salmon hit.

My first summer salmon was caught yesterday after I put on a spinner with the attitude that this will never catch anything. I put it on just for fun since I had it for 20 years and never used it.

So I guess attitude is important. But for me it seems I catch fish when I have the attitude of "I'm never going to catch anything". I haven't caught anything when I know I am going to catch fish.

Good luck and keep that positive attitude of someday I will eventually catch something.

[ 07-07-2003, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Conspiracy Theory ]

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Pearl.....

C'mon, pleeeeeese???? Give up where you got those GREAT anti-banana decals. I've done several searches on the internet and can't find any.....

Pretty Pleeeeeeeeese? Tim :bowdown:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts