IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
For salmon Tie my main line to the Swivel that is embedded in the top of the Banana. Then I Tie my leader of 30lb maxima to the chain swivel end of the Banana. I like 3.5'-4' of leader from the banana to the Spinner of choice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't use them. It's too hard to accurately guage the distance off the bottom. I use a drop line with a cannonball to the bottom then reel up. The bannana's get me snagged to often. Just my 2 cents. :smile:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
They are fine in the ocean away from people but in the bays you are much better off fishing with a cannon ball right under the boat.

You will keep it out of other boats' lines and you will be able to keep it just above the bottom where you need it to be.

The only people I see using them on the bays are the
with a million miles of line out, usually trolling the wrong way and getting tangle with everyone else.

They do work great for ocean coho when they are feeding close to the surface.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
You are right biederboat, if used for what they were meant for, mooching, then thay are effective. That's why they are called Mooching Sinkers

The key you mentioned though is that is has to be done away from croweded trolling areas.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I like to use them with a bobber in tidewater. That's the only time I've used so far, but then this is the first year I've ever owned a boat so shared info is always appreciated.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Don't let 'em fool ya Feisty!

Just put on a 4oz. spin sinker (banana lead-mooching lead) let out about 50 yards of line and troll across the bow of that sled that says "David Johnsons Guide Service" because you know he'll be into the fish! :grin:

Seriously though large mooching leads (6-10oz.) are popular down in Winchester Bay for nooks but up here the efficient cannon ball is the way to go.

I haven't fished T-Bay for years but it used to be a 4-5oz. cannon ball on a dropper coming off a spreader was the hot ticket in the bay.

Keep in mind what David said and use adequate weight and keep the line close to the boat or you will be in for a frustrating and agonizing day.

Spin sinkers are a populay way to go for bobber fishing along with cannon balls and the Tillamook area fishermen really like the ounce & a half size.

Dan

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
I'll agree with the above but add an exception. You can do fine "mooching" (going mainly with the current, pretty much straight down) using banana sinkers. I use about a 3 oz., then a mooching rig about 5' w/ an extra bead chain in the middle. Don't do this in crowed trolling areas but I have good sucess going up to B-12, put motor in idle (don't turn off, you may need to fire up in a hurry) and then doing down to B14-16 and then back up again.

Biederboat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts