IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not fished the banana for buts yet but hope to be there on Sunday for tuna and want to give it a try when the box is nearly full. I’m not looking for anyone’s honey hole but would appreciate some general tips for finding a halibut there.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have not fished the banana for buts yet but hope to be there on Sunday for tuna and want to give it a try when the box is nearly full. I’m not looking for anyone’s honey hole but would appreciate some general tips for finding a halibut there.
Phil,

I haven't fished there much, but my last trip for butts this spring I did real well on the shelf about a mile inside the actual banana. I don't have numbers at my desk, but just look for the boats a half mile or mile??? east of the banana. Your plotter should show that structure I am refering to. I will probably try it out tomorrow afternoon if we get our fill of tuna in time. Pm me if you want my cell# and I can report Saturday night.

Good luck

AJ

·
Registered
25 Posts
Julzilla and I will be out there Sunday but doing things a little backwards. Plan on working for limits of butts first, and then scratching a couple tuna for the BBQ. Normally I work the pile or ranch so I don't have number for you, but give us a shout on the radio and we can exchange info.

·
"The Old Salt"
10,945 Posts
I will be doing the butts at the banana tomorrow and Sunday after TUNA

I have gotten limits this year on the north end of it and also where was mentioned earlier about 1 mile east of the main body of the banana
Less than 600 ft of water
Hope you get 'em and I will look for you guys out there

·
Registered
11,461 Posts
N. Banana 44 48.435 124 32.115

E. Banana 44 47.797 124 30.818

S. Banana 44 46.745 124 39.992

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
The trawlers work this area alot can be very slow after they have been there.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
if you can get to the banana, it's a no brainer. Drop the gear and be ready to fish. It's a nice gravel bottom and few snags. Deep water so make sure you have the line capacity. I'd try tuna belly or salmon belly, and add a glo in the dark hootchie to your bait. Really helps.
good luck!
GBS

·
Registered
11,461 Posts
The trawlers work this area alot can be very slow after they have been there.
Yep! This explaines why One Week It's hot, & the next you can't Buy a fish.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd try tuna belly or salmon belly, and add a glo in the dark hootchie to your bait. Really helps.
good luck!
GBS
I KNEW there was something I forgot to put into the camper!

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Have a great weekend out there. It is shaping up to be monumental.

:yay:

·
Banned
989 Posts
if you can get to the banana, it's a no brainer. Drop the gear and be ready to fish. It's a nice gravel bottom and few snags. Deep water so make sure you have the line capacity. I'd try tuna belly or salmon belly, and add a glo in the dark hootchie to your bait. Really helps.
good luck!
GBS
I have fished it for 8 years and it is not always a no brainer....... It has had a lot of pressure and there are days when it is tough and you have to move around a lot. The top of the banana is only about 480' - 530' deep, and can be productive, but more luck has been had durning Spring season east and North of the actual Banana 570'-640'. When the commercial boats have been fishing the area it can get tough. The bottom changes and there are muddy spots where your weight will stick.... if you find that and don't drift out of it pretty quick you need to reel up and move. If you drift off the North end you may get into the Ling Cod thick..... once again need to move.....My numbers are in the boat, so I can't help with numbers....

Good Luck!

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Whiting fleet has been tied up to the dock for a week now. Should be good when you find them.

·
Banned
989 Posts
What does the Whiting fleet have to do with Banana Butts? I thought they fished mid-water.

They fish deep all the way up. Sometimes they will be right on the bottom depending on depth. They are monitored, but are allowed by-catch which could be Halibut. The second thing is Halibut will come off the bottom. It is quite common for halibut to be caught on the troll off of the bottom. Bottom fishing is how we (sport guys) do it, but there is more than one way to catch a halibut.....

When the area is concentrated with commercial boats whether it be salmon, or the Whiting fleet the fishing slows down.....:smile:

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
And don't leave out the shrimpers....they also drag that area. When they have been there, you can forget about halibut for many days.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
And don't leave out the shrimpers....they also drag that area. When they have been there, you can forget about halibut for many days.
Do you know if they've been through lately? Headed that way in about an hour - see y'all out there!!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Mark,

I wonder if they get caugh or are just stuffed with what gets stirred up. I thought they had excluders to keep from catching 'buts.

:cheers:
GRIFF

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Whiting fleet does not catch your Halibut. I own two whiting boats and we catch less than ONE halibut a year. Also fished shrimp for many years and they catch about six per year per boat.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Sage, I dont think that catching of halibut with the commercial gear is a worry as they have tailored those fisheries to as someone mentioned exclude them from the catch.

I think it is the gear just being there for an extended period of time that kinda runs them off the hump or really turns off the bite.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts