IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at replacing my Ez-loader 3100lb. I don’t think it has enough weight capacity for my boat given recent events. I’m thinking of going to a 4000 to 5000lb capacity tandem with surge brakes.

I’ve received a quote from Tricker. A search revealed most folks have positive things to say about Tricker other than maybe some cheap brake pads.

I saw a few mentions regarding Baker, mostly to talk to them but no reviews so to speak.. Anyone care to share their experience with Baker Trailers? Or is there another builder I should look into?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Baker is a good trailer and a good value. I have a tandem axle (has surge brakes by law) under my 24' Willie Raptor. It trailers nicely and it's more than adequate for hauling my boat. Workmanship is solid. I think they come standard with the Willie Boats...so can't be all bad.

SloTroll

·
Registered
13,282 Posts
Steel cut and welded in a big V, with an axle under it,
you got a sketch, we can put one together in an afternoooooooon :wink:

G

·
Loved the one I had sitting under my Predator. Wish I would have waited on another one instead of the King I have now for the Asaltor.

Rick

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Have a Baker under my jet sled. Have a Baker under my Willie DB. Only difference I would make would be to have both trailers Galvinized. Have a place on the coast now that I didn't have when I bought the sled trailer and the DB. My mistake. Baker Trailers are well built and I will buy them again in a heartbeat. Plus they are in Oregon. Buy Oregon first whenever you can.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
Had a baker trailer for the drift boat for 8 years. Light cable needed to be replaced along the way, but other than that, great trailer, still in fine condition.

I'd get galvanized for coast area use, however.

·
Administrator
41,374 Posts
I have a Baker under my drift boat. My error in not getting galvanized, which I suspect is the root of my problems: wiring inside the tubes is shot, marker lights fell off, main beam cracked and had to be "sistered" to keep it from breaking off and one of the fenders fell off, leaving a couple lemon sized holes in the side rail ... I won't be able to use the boat until I replace the trailer. :depressed:

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
The drift boat trailers are to light to do any comparisons for what your looking for. You need some feedback on heavier built trailers.

My last trailer was a double axle galvanized Tricker trailer, I thought it was well built. The bracing on it looked a little light, but it held up ok. What I really liked was the open channel, easy to replace wires if necesary.

I too had some baker trailers siting under drift boats, they served the purpose but they should have been galvanized.

Baker trailers is in Springfield, you should give them a call and see if they have a trailer to look at. You'll likely have to order a trailer and wait. They ship the welded steel trailer frame to Washington to have it hot galvanized dipped.

There's another trailer I really like besides Tricker, just can't remember the name. It's a popular trailer and no, it's not EZ loader.

good luck,

Gregg

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I talked to Ed at Baker this afternoon. He said he needed to have the boat to take some measurements because he will custom build it to fit the hull. Cool I thought. He said it would be at least 2 months before he could even think about it. Fine, I'm no real rush.

Then came the price. I thought the Tricker was spendy. :rolleyes: I about died from sticker shock. $1K more than Tricker. :shocked:

Dang, I just can't justify that kind of cost. I guess I need to talk to Steven's (Ouch, it hurt to say that) and look at a Rogue. :blush: If anyone else has any ideas I'm listening. :shrug:

Hey Roy, you got that welder warmed up? :wink:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just curious, so what's wrong with EZ-Loader besides missing one axle? I have the same trailer and added stainless disk brakes - made the stopping part morebetter............
I know what you mean about the dual axles - peace of mind. If you can get your hands on a Reliable axle to match i swear the holes will line up......just nobody out there will sell you one for liability reasons.

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
Waterdog,

That's what I would have expected from Baker, it'll take longer and cost you more money. Years back I neded a new drift boat trailer, at least I thought I did and asked Baker for a price quote on a galvanized single, don't remember the price difference from the rest but they were more expensive then anyone else by far.

When I was looking for a double axle 4500 pound trailer for the last boat, I wanted a trailer that was lower to the ground, easier to get the boat off and on when the tides out. That's why I purchased a Tricker, a low riding trailer.

I've always thought the Rogue trailers were built extra heavy duty, large main beams, large tires and wheels, what 15" or 16". I wouldn't hesitate on the Rogue, many a guide have put thousand of miles on these trailers.

If cost is a consideration, look at the King trailers. I know they bolt together, but they appear very strong with lots of metal and good bracing. In fact when I got my Tricker, my boat was sitting next to another boat on a King. The King looked more heavy duty then the Tricker, I was left wondering if I made a mistake.

Also ask the boat dealers and manufacturers, they can order any trailer they want, find out what trailers they use and why.

best of luck,

Gregg

[ 08-22-2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Hookset ]

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gregg,

Ed didn't really sound too enthused about building me a trailer. I'm guessing that Willie is keeping him plenty busy. :rolleyes: :wink:

The low ride of the Tricker is a plus in my book and one reason I contacted them. Also since I keep my boat in the garage I don't have a lot clearance between the windshield and header so getting a high rider with 15" wheels is sort of out.

I'll be working with my dealer as well. I only want to do this one more time. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,978 Posts
The Rogue double axle with brakes should be about 3200. Baker may come down on his price. Ask the folks who you bought the boat from if they can buy it for you at a "Dealer rate" and pass on the savings to you.

For what it is worth I looked real hard at a MM too. Nice boat, but for that much money I want a good trailer too. They did not want to deal with an outside source. So I am looking at other product.

The heavier the boat, the more you will want a welded trailer. I know they are spendy. But in the big picture, it is only ANOTHER thousand dollars in cost. There were many thousands before. This is just another.

BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand.

Mark and the patiently shopping but going crazy on the inside dog.

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
From your description, sounds like the tricker is just the ticket. If you purchased a King or a Rogue, they sit so much higher. You'll definetly have less clearance in the garage. The advantages of a low trailer are many....easier to get in and out of the boat when on the trailer, easier to launch at low tide without having to get the rear truck axle wet, easier to load without submerging the entire trailer.

I did have one minor problem with the tricker. One of the longer bunks got slightly bent when a chunck of wood got sandwhiched between the bottom of the boat and the bunk. Guess the bunk material was to thin to handle the stress. Never did fix the bunk since the bend was minor and the bunk never did straighten out. I would have liked longer steps on the sides of the fenders to get in and out of the boat. And I always thought a catwalk down the middle of the trailer would be cool to walk the boat out.

good luck,

Gregg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts