IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back from Rancho Leonero and as usual it was a blast!! Fishing was a little tough as there were NO Dorado!! :shrug: The good news is that the Tuna were there THICK, the bad news is, they were 35 miles out. We were fishing in "super Pangas" so it was a loooong run, but we boated 51 tuna in 3 days of fishing, releasing most. Most on hoochies and cedar plugs. On our other 3 days of fishing we managed to hook 5 Roosterfish (land 2), one sailfish and hook and lose a Wahoo.

Well, I here that "zipper lipped" spot "near Rainier" is getting good....I'd better go polish some spinners...I'll be out there Friday!!

Dennis

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way Rancho Leonero is on the East Cape, opps!

·
Registered
17,015 Posts
Glad to hear you had a great trip - we've been looking forward to that report for some time now!

So, how hot are the East Cape temperatures this time of year?

Also, what variety of tuna were they?

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The high temp was in the high 90s and the humidity is USUALLY VERY low, but we had the honor of being there on the day they got their first rain since SEPTEMBER!!! Real cool lightning storm!! Temp is bearable....but the AC sure felt good! Drank LOTS of water.........and Pacifico!! :cheers:

Tuna were Yellowfin average size around 10#. I saw 2 over 40 and one 74# pig! No one was fishing for billfish much because the tuna were there.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wreckless, thanks for the report. Now you are talking about my fishing area of choice. I have been going to Los Barriles the last 4 years; usually in May. This year it was the second and third weeks of May. We experienced the same thing with the tuna. Lots of them, and as I understand, that was a little early for them. Nothing big, ususally running about 10-15 lbs. I think they are now getting some over 100lbs!! We also did get into some other fish. Three of us fishing three days on a cruiser caught and/or released 5 tuna (I already had caught my fair share the first week so let them say when to stop), 10 dorado, and 6 marlin.

Have you been to Rancho Leonero before? How did you like it? Are you familiar with the Palmas de Cortez Hotel in Los Barriles? Wondering how they compare (price as well as amenities).

Man, I'm already wishing it was fall so uglygreen can get us all cranked up for next spring in Zihuatanejo.

For anyone who is interested here is the web site address for the East Cape Smokehouse in Los Barriles, and for the Rancho Leonero resort. They both have fishing reports which are pretty much updated weekly, and are for the same general fishing area.
http://www.rancholeonero.com
http://www.bajasmokedfish.com.mx/

Hope these come through as hot links

Tight lines to all

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HEY, that's me on the left!!

Thanks keeper!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts