IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if any of you have run into this problem or not, but it sure brought my B10 fishing to a close yesterday.
While out trolling yesterday between 10 and 11 with choppy sea's and wind, typical B10 set up diver, dodger. bait. My Gloomis, and Calcutta being held by my "Fish-On" rod holder, when I hear a big KA-POW and look around to see my rod and reel sink below the waves. Starring in disbelief to be polite about it, I think I did say gosh darnit a few times, I then went to what was left of the pole holder, the gosh darn thing broke where the stem goes into the socket.
I bet I have used these holders for 10 years with no problems and now this, I'm heart broke that was my best set up !
I have the female end bolted to my boat and don't want to take them off and leave the holes, but now I don't trust the male stems. Any ideas out there, or has it happened to you ? Can the problem be solved without removing the holder brackets ? I really don't want to tie the pole to the boat but I can no longer afford to pitch that kind of money in the drink !
Need ideas......Please help.
Thanks Big Dave.

[ 09-12-2003, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I bet I have used these holders for 10 years with no problems and now this, I'm heart broke that was my best set up !
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">How about replacing the rod holder every five years?

Maybe ten in the sun has compromised the plactic :shrug:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave thanks for the input , but the holder part with the stem is only in the boat when I'm fishing, and kept in a drawer when not in use, and when it is in use the stem is inside the socket and not exposed to the UV of the sun.
Do you know if the Scotty brand will fit in the scoket of the Fish-on brand ?
Thanks again.....Big Dave.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
that's my guess too. sun will do that. Maybe a lighter drag too, maybe it was too tight. How heavy of a rod and line was used. My problem is keeping them at the right angle, they seem to slip. Sorry you lost such a nice set up there, that's a real bummer.
GBS

·
Registered
855 Posts
Dave this used to be a common problem with fish-on rod holders but that was way back. It has happen to me and like u they were old, like purchased in 1984.
Just got a new sled in june. this time around I purchased the scotty's with the stainless arms.And
no the scotty's will niot fit in the fish-0n brackets. But the scotty brackets do no require new holes to be drilled

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply Chuck, I think that is approx. when I got mine, I wonder if the new ones will do the same or if they are improved.
I like the idea of the scotty holders where I wouldn't have to drill new holes !
Thanks again.......Big Dave.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
It was just a thought Big Dave,

I've never had a problem with my fish-on holders except them slipping when fishing at Astoria.

I have found that in a pinch a quarter fits in the slot to tighten it down.

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
I know several people that put a set screw in their Fish-On rod holders to maintain the angle. But overall, I agree, replacing them with the steel armed Scotties is a better solution. And, yes, it is nice that the bolt pattern is the same for both types of mounting brackets!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Go to Scotties you won't be sorry. You might adjust the drag setting also. The rods and reels available today are great. The problem is that we use Braided lines, Kevlar lines etc. I know I use heavier line than recommended for my rods. What I try and do is adjust the drag setting on the reel to be approximate to 25% to 33% of the rated line strength. So if your using 30pd line then your drag setting should be around a low of 7 1/2 pounds to a high of 10pds. Just a guide line and not locked into stone. I do this to my offshore reels. I then check them with a good scale throughout the season to be sure. If you have never set your drag it is real easy. Set your rod in a pole holder. Make a loop in the line and hook a scale hook into it. Pull down on the scale. When that puppy breaks your drag at the 25% to 33% of line strength your there. Pretty simple. I almost lost a $600.00 dollar offshore outfit this summer on a Fish On rod holder that did a quick 90 degree also.
Luckily for me the drag setting was checked the night before I left which I think saved my setup.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
big dave,

I've been told several times to put a bolt through the hollow shaft of my Fish-On rod holders and put a nut on the other side to prevent the failure that you had. I still haven't done it but I think that I'll head out to the garage right now and get it done.

D.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey "D" that is a GREAT idea ! Sure wish I would of done it a few days ago though ! That was one $$$$ fish trip, Oh well at least I didn't fall in ! Think I will head down and get get some SS bolts tomorrow.
Before I gave my pole to Davy Jones I did manage to get on nice 12# hook nose in the boat and let one wild one go, but losing my gear sure took the shine off the fish !
Thanks again for sharing your information, I guess that is why this site works....fellow fisher people helping one another !
Later.....Big Dave.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
My friend has fish-on holders on his boat and he's had two rods go out the back when they slipped down -once while trolling divers and one time on sturgeon bite. I don't like the fish-ons. I have another buddy who actually jumped into the ocean to get his rod when a fish pulled it out of a fish-on holder!

The Scotty's are incapable of "slipping" because they have "gears" that you screw together. However, the angle of the Scotty holder isn't as infinitely adjustable as the fish-on's because the gears are spaced. I have 7 scotty's on my boat and I used them for 3 years on my old boat and they are still in great shape. The Scotty holders will not go in the fish-on mounts - you'll need to install the entire setup. I'd stay away from the metal framed scottys - they are expensive, don't hold the rod right and are difficult to adjust. Sorry for you loss!

Joe

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
I bought the Scotty's with stainless arms for the new boat. Could not go with Fish-ons after I had one fold flat and slam my rod into the gunwale on a big Astoria fish last year. Never again.

Got to say I really like the Scotty's. I bought an extension arm for the one in the middle of the transom. It is well clear of the motor with the 8 extra inches. The Scotty's really pay off when a big fish is hooked. You don't have to wrestle the rod out of a tube. Instead, you just pull straight back and then lift the rod out of the rear portion of the holder. Much tougher set-up thatn the Fish-ons. I think they are well worth the difference in price.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you one and all for you ideas and opions, I was going to run a bolt down the hole and call it good , but I don't think that would of helped for what happened to me. The Male stem was left in the Female socket, so it shattered right above the socket, which would of left the bolt there in the socket and the holder portion would still go.
I went with what most of you advised, which was the Scotty brand with the stainless arms, only one thing bothers me now and that is it has the same socket going down into the female bracket. Maybe I'm just being a little gun shy but I can still see my $400 set up sliding under the waves !
So thank you one and all again, I guess I will see how the Scotty brand works.
Big Dave.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Big Dave, You might check on insurance for your outfits. I've got mine scheduled for about $.55 per thousand. Really cheap. Also, I put leashes on my rods when they are in the Fish-on holders for the reasons you described. What a lousy sight seeing the Gloomis/Calcutta combo disappearing in the drink. You've got my sympathy.....

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
big dave, you should email and let the people at fish on know what happened I wonder what they have to say? I like the leash idea salmurai, great tip.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dampainter good idea, I went to there web site and told them my story and about my post on ifish, personally I will be in shock if they even respond at all but I will keep you posted.
But thank you for your input, I never even thought of doing that !
Big Dave.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I threw my fish on's away cuss they broke. Furtunatly not while hooking a fish.
Ten years Hmm must be some kind of record.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Dampainter,"fish-on" replied back to my email ! I am in shock..............They offered to replace my pole holder.....What a great bunch of guys !...............NOT !
Big Dave.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts