IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bad luck while fishing

Yesterday fished out of Washougal and seen 4 guys with some bad luck. So made me think I bet there is some good stories out there in IFISH world. So here is my personal story. Bought an old
boat, fished it in lakes a few times and decided it was time to try my skills at the mighty Columbia River. So 2 buddies can't remember there IFISH names are with me so I get to ramp early (nice host) purchase parking pass, put boat in water and park truck, boys come down get in boat and head out, cool fish finder works marking fish lets find a place to anchor with some k-fish well showing fish 12' water, WHOOPS I see SAND fish finder was on demo, man laugh--laugh-- laugh. So I get them all calmed down and out there for about an 1.5 hours then I realize no wallet, shoot I left my wallet on the ticket machine at launch, we leave anchor ball, no wallet on machine head into Port Office someone turned it in. The laughing still comes up 2 years later.
So yesterday pull into Washougal get in line to put in boat 4 guys in tracker boat working on boat so ask if I can play though no problem go ahead, I launch, park, these guys back down and driver launches boat, but 3 other guys are sitting in the boat no one to hold boat, it floats back and across to other ramp almost hits another boat and chinese drill is going on in the boat. Then we both tour out of harbor together and I cruse up to reed to check it out and come back down notice the the tracker is going to anchor where I was looking at, thats cool they are out farther then I wanted so I swing inside on them on Oregon side they toss anchor and I'm waiting from them to set up and notice the guy is pulling anchor, but rope is coming up way to easy, he lost his anchor, as he pulls the rope thru the ball system the ball floats towards end of boat one of other guys catches the ball they all look at each other like this can't be happening. They trolled with the electric rest of day. LONG POST I KNOW!

Shane

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Re: Bad luck while fishing

Yes I can relate to bad things happening with boats. I could tell you the story about Tilla,s boat, however he would be :blush: if I did. The last one I had was the water pump going out.
Thank you for the story.

Fishalot

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

Good story, Setter. Everybody has the luck..... somedays its on one side and somedays its on the other.

:smile:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts

Worst fishing trip ever:

Way back when I had my first boat in 1982, it was a 1959 14' fiberglass runabout with a 50 Merc. The motor was in the shop getting a prop shaft replaced. I wanted to do some Fall chinook salmon fishing in upper Tillamook Bay. I did have an old 18 hp Johnson, so I clamped in on, and loaded up the gear. I couldn't get anyone to go with me, so I went by myself.

Busy day at Memaloose ramp, arrived after everyone else, so I had to park 1/2 mile down the street, and walk run back to the waiting boat. Began trolling the Oyster House hole and Capt. Johnson's along with everyone else. Saw some fish caught. By 1:00 pm most people were done fishing, and all of a sudden I had a bite. The fish went into the shallows and got off. Then the motor mysteriously died. I tried pulling the rope to restart but nothing. Now my line was snagged and the afternoon wind was pushing the boat into shore, I threw out the anchor, and went ashore to reverse the angle on the fishing line, but had to break it off. :mad:
I went back and played with the motor to no avail. Thought maybe the flywheel key was sheared, so I decided to go for parts and tools. I left the boat at the shoreline, short walk to car, drove to marina for spare key, drove home to Netarts for flywheel puller.

I came back to find the boat high and dry due to out going tide. :blush: Pulled flywheel to find the key was OK anyway. :mad: I pulled out a spark plug and found water droplets on it. Figured something major was wrong. :whazzup:

Now dilemma: 1) Do I leave boat overnight for next tide? 2) Go for help? or 3) Pull it 10' to water????

I decide to pull it to the water. No other boats around for a tow. The boat ramp is one mile up the bay with tide going out. I start using the oar to push the boat like Tom Sawyer's raft.

Then I came to a wing-dam and had to pull the boat from piling to piling and move it around the end in the fast current.

Made it. Now I notice the wind is so strong, its pushing the boat sidways up the bay against the out-going tide.
I stand up on the seats and hold open my big coat using the oar as a spreader. This is my first time sailing. :cheers: Not fast, but going in the right direction.

Made it back to the ramp. Tie up boat. Run-walk a mile back to rig, hop-in, won't start. I had left the lights on. :blush:
I flagged down a motorist, who helped with a jump start.

Load boat, go home exhausted, clean and put away gear. Totally discouraged.

I think God must not have wanted me to go fishing that day. Remember Jonah?

Cheerio'
Skipper

[ 07-21-2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Skipper ]

·
Banned
37,111 Posts

A few months ago, the friend who I sold my 23' Fishrite sled to called and asked if a 40lb anchor was enough to hold the boat. I told him I thought it was, that is the size of the one he has, what's wrong with it? "Well, somehow it got untied from the rope and when I threw it overboard all the rope stayed in the bow." D'OH!

It was probly worn out anyway....... :shrug:

·
Registered
784 Posts

Skipper, incredible story.

Someone had to have been looking out for you for the makeshift sail to work. What a sight that must have been.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts

Hooksetter...The sad thing about your story is that those kind of people used to ONLY be out on weekends!

I've already seen some incredibly foolish people on week days this year, seems like it gets worse every year.

Smj

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

My worst trip occured on the Deschutes many years ago. I had taken my Chinese Pug, Corky, with me and made a trip for some summer fish.

We got there and I parked my vehicle and Corky and I headed up the trail. As we went, I noticed Corky was not to eager to go. I looked ahead and something crossed the trail. We continued on and I spotted the end of a snake crossing the trail, a little section of rattles were evident. I continued on and then I noticed movement along side us on the bank. Then some more movement. Oops! I stopped, Corky was already stopped and he decided to go back. I counted thirteen rattlers lying in the morning sun. Sweat poured from my head. I turned and very carefully went back.

So we went to the next hole. I went down the bank to the river and began to fish. Beautiful morning and the fish were there. I hooked a nice Rainbow and released it. Corky was snooping along the bank. He walked out on a log that was jutting over the water. I called him back but it was too late. The log shifted and Corky was dropped into the Deschutesss.

He was headed downstream and having troubles keeping his flat little nose above the water. I charged down the bank and was going to try to get him. Oops number 2. I started to fall, that was the last I remembered until I awoke to a very wet pug licking my face and him rubbing his wet body against me.

My head hurt like a bad migraine. I really do not remember much after that until I was home in Portland. I got out of the van, told my wife I had a bad headache and took some Excedrin and went to bed.

I got up twelve hours later. I felt pretty good. I told the wife what had happened and the sweet little woman gave me another headache. She told me that I was lucky that I had not had a car wreck driving the hundred plus miles home. She made me go to the ER and yes I had a mild concussion and the doctor chewed me out.

Well this was only the minor bad thing. I went out to get my fishing gear out of the car and whoops, no gear. Somewhere on the bank of the Deschutes lay a brand new rod, reel and about a $100 worth of tackle. I hope that whoever found it at least thanked me for loosing it.

Since then, my wife insists that I take a buddy when I go so far. That is the best idea anyway. And sometime I will tell you about the trip I made to Hagg Lake one October day and fell and ......... :shocked:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.