IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Made this the other night and thought I'd pass it along as it came out wonderful. I saw this recipe in a hunting magazine but could find it again when it came to to try it so I went from memory and added what I thought would be the best ingredients.........

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Venison/Elk Backstrap
Ingredients:
(4) 6-8 inch sections of whole venison/elk backstrap
(1) Medium size shallot (finely chopped)
Minced garlic (amount to taste, I used about a tablespoon)
(1) Grocery store sized box of sliced Shiitake mushrooms
½ pound Smoked Gruyere cheese (shredded)
1 pound of bacon (not to thick)

Preparing Meat:
Butterfly even thickness each piece of backstrap the entire length deep enough to leave about ½ inch intact.

Stuffing:
In a sauce pan over medium heat sauté all ingredients in butter until mushrooms are done and shallots are translucent.
Shallot, finely chopped
Minced garlic
Shiitake mushrooms

Stuffing Backstrap:
Open butterflied backstraps and add a generous amount of stuffing the entire length (I like to spread it out some on one half side of the butterfly).
Add a generous amount of the shredded Gruyere cheese over the stuffing.
Close butterfly over the top of half that is stuffed.

Wrapping Backstap:
Lightly sprinkle each backstrap section (front/back) with your favorite steak seasoning (I used the McCormick’s brand from Costco)
Wrap around each individual section of backstrap with as many individual pieces of bacon as needed to cover from end to end. Using toothpicks as you go, pin each wrap of bacon in place (I found that it only took about half a piece of bacon for each wrap to go around once on my venison backstaps, but it probably would take a longer piece if you’re using an elk backstrap as they are larger diameter)

Cooking:
I cooked mine directly on the bbq grill over medium heat until the bacon was completely done. This allowed my backstrap to come out at about medium rare, but your time may vary depending on thickness and temperature. Do not overcook as the meat will become tuff.
Next time I do this recipe I want to try cooking them in my Traeger. I’d say at about 350-400 degrees I’d guess.

Serving:
After done, remove from bbq and let set for 10-15 minutes to allow the juices to reabsorb.
Remove toothpicks
Slice across grain about ½ inch thick slices

Pairings:
I made garlic smashed red potatoes and steamed cauliflower with smoked Gruyere cheese sauce. Washed it all down with a nice dark stout (I like Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout).

Enjoy……

Before………
Food Tableware Bottle Ingredient Animal product

After…………
Food Tableware Bottle Plate Recipe

· Registered
4,216 Posts
I need to go shoot a deer..........wow. (are you sure a little cream cheese doesn't go in there too?)

· Registered
5,795 Posts
That looks pretty close to my favorite thing to do with backstraps. [insert yummy noises here!] Sometimes I stuff, sometimes I don't. Made a pesto out of fresh sage for the stuffing once, that was really good. No deer or elk for me this year though, so I will have to enjoy vicariously through your photos.

· Registered
9,294 Posts
In theory could you do that with a steak or roast? I have no backstrap...I don't think bacon wrapped tag would be all that great plus I already threw them into the soup.

· Registered
1,942 Posts
In theory could you do that with a steak or roast? I have no backstrap...I don't think bacon wrapped tag would be all that great plus I already threw them into the soup.
If you dry out your tag and grind it into a powder it can be used to flavor recipes through out the year:)

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe you could do this any type of loin......

Been thinking of trying something with a pork loin as well...

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With hunting season in full swing I thought I'd bump this one to the top......

I got me a buck this year so this is on the menu soon, one of my favorites...........

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With hunting season in full swing (archery now) I thought I'd bump this to the top.............

Absolutely one of my favorite wild game recipes........

· Registered
739 Posts
I have done this same thing with my steaks.
run the roast through the meat slicer at about 1/4 - 3/8 thick.
layer your favorite stuffing mix between slices.
wrap with butcher string.
wrap with bacon (or not)
BBQ, traeger, or bake

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since hunting season is now upon us I thought I'd push this one to the top.........

One of our family favorites..........

I'm going to do this soon with some antelope backstrap..........

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got a nice buck this season so I'm pushing this to the top for others to see that were also successful as well......

Really good big game recipe.....

· Registered
2,106 Posts
I'll jump into the fray a bit....
I'm not a fan of pretty much anything bacon wrapped especially game steaks and fish. Why? Because bacon needs to cook until being well done while pretty much everything that you're wrapping needs to be cooked until it's rare or medium (at worst :) !). So by the time your bacon is cooked your main target is overcooked!
How do could you then incorporate bacon into your cooking? I'd cook the bacon first and then add the mushroom/onion mixture to the rendered fat. I'd serve the mushroom/onion mixture on the side rather than filleting the steak. Stuffing cooked veggies in will affect one's ability to manage doneness, will allow the tasty juices to leak out as twice the surface area is now exposed, and affect my ability to control the cooking process. I'd reserve some of the fat to baste on the steak to further incorporate the taste, feel, and fattieness of the bacon.
Just my two cents for what they're worth....The flavors and ideas are good and its certainly worth a try!

Another example is one of my favorite recipes for salmon is to keep some rendered bacon fat from your last batch of bacon (breakfast burritos or whatever). Heat the bacon gently over low heat with a nice mix of finely chopped fresh herbs (oregano, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, chives, garlic, whatever). After a few minutes the bacon will infuse with the herbs and become green. Baste the salmon with the herbed grease and cook over a BBQ. By doing this you incorporate the taste, flavor, and oil from the bacon while not overcooking the fish in anyway. For the non meateaters you can use olive oil instead....

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the input fishnhunt13..........Don't know if you looked at my pics or not, but I've made this a few times with both venison and elk and I've always achieved done bacon and a medium rare loin as in the pic. I will say as well, I watch the cooking process very closely as not to overcook.

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bumping to the top since it's hunting season.................enjoy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts