IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GPS dropped a couple feet last week in the boat and died :depressed: I finally got it up and partially working and all the waypoints are gone :depressed:

I had tons of fishing points saved, at least 40 elk wallos, etc..... and now they are all gone because I didnt write them down for backup.

Off to shop for a new one and it will have a back up system one way or another, even if it is a pencil.

This will end your public service announcement.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
BOE,
Been there,done that. Now I upload my waypoints into my office computer. It is a real pit. On important waypoints I like to save two. That way when I'm scrolling down on the handheld I place one on top and one midway down. Works pretty good

·
Scallywag
3,410 Posts
Good advice for those with computers and upload/download capability. I'm fortunate I haven't had GPS memory problems yet. I keep two electronic copies in different machines, as well as extra memory cards pre-programmed with my maps, waypoints, and points of interest.
Don't wait until it's too late!

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
There is this thing called a pencil and another thing called paper. Well you can use the pencil to write on the paper. :hoboy: :wink: :tongue:

I have a "write in the rain" note pad and at the end of a trip I write down any "points of interest" just in case.

You do know how to write? :wink:

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Bait O' Eggs, Since you have to shop for a new GPS I have some tips. Go to the Garmin website, and on the home page click on "Outdoor". Next, on the left side of the "Outdoor" page, click on "Product Comparison" on the left side of the screen. Now just click on the boxes for whatever models of Garmin GPS's you want to compare, and you will get a nice table where you can compare features line-by-line. If you want the best hand held GPS Garmin makes, check out the GPS Map 76S. Note that the 76S has some very important features that the 76 does not have (the 76 only has 8 megs of memory and the 76S has 24 megs. Also the 76S has an electronic compass and the 76 does not; and there are more...). Which ever one you pick, you can find it for way less money than anywhere else at a place called GPS Now. If you can't find their web site, e-mail me and I will send you their web address. They are in Nebraska and they do same day shipping. Here are some of their prices that you can compare to any other store to see how much you will save there: The Garmin Vista is $244.95; the GPS Map 76 is $249.95; the GPS Map 76S is $309.95. At most stores in Portland you will pay around $100 to $140 more for any of those models! Take note that on the GPS Now web site, you have to scroll down below the listed price and click on "add to shopping cart" to see what their lowest price really is. I highly recommend getting the Garmin Map Source Topo CDs. When you download those into your GPS, you will get very detailed contour maps. Also check out the other accessories such as a belt case, 12 volt adaptor, dash mounts, etc. Good luck!

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Wow, bummer you lost all those productive Springer spots :rolleyes: They must have been priceless :grin:

Get yourself a cable and backup to a puter, you don't need the fancy SW. There are a lot of freeware, or shareware upload apps if you look for them. I even have some mapping SW you could use too...for a price

your dedicated pal and support companion.
gus

·
Registered
61 Posts
They are right there is lots of freeware. I also bought the mount and it holds the gps rock solid and also hard wired it to the battery.In fact I have two gps mounted right next to each other.

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Waterfish - thanks for the tip on the retailer. I did a little looking last night at the new non locally owned sporting goods store :rolleyes:

I have already done the side by side comparison on the Garmin page like you mentioned. I dont really want to spend the bucks the 76 goes for. I thought I had it narrowed down to the 72 or etrex legend. I got to play with them a bit, though I got no satellite reception in the store. I printed up the instruction manual (all 72 pages) from Garmin last night so I could see how to operate the legend. Then I will go to another local store and check their price. I am kind of leaning towards the legend right now, though I am not convinced yet. I really liked the simplicity of my now dead 12. Store last night wanted $199, GPS Now is asking about $175 delivered, I saw it on Ebay for $159 delivered (buy it now). Still playing with the models, and will make a decesion on a model with the following criteria - available funds, ease of use, avaiable functions, etc... But it will be a Garmin I am 99% sure.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Roy
I got the garmin map76s and would purchase it again in a heart beat if I were to lose it. Save your money up and get the right one this time.

I just picked up a rino 120 that is really easy to use on the interface controls. It has the built in radio, mapping features, waterproof and can upload 8 megs. I recommend the topo maps software as a addition to either unit.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Bait O' Eggs, I agree with Smilesforu, save your money and get the best the first time. I've used the Legend, and it has no maps, just waypoints. Once you've used one with detailed maps anything without maps will seem like you're travelling blind. I have a Vista, which is really nice, but the 76S has a bigger screen and several other features that the Vista does not have. Also, the 76S has a built in quad helix antenna that gets way better reception than the Vista. With the Vista I can get satellites indoors (or flying in an airliner) if I am right next to the window. But with the 76S I can get reception from way inside my house. What this means is that the 76S will get satellites better when you are in thick timber. Sometimes in timber you can't get any reception at all with a Legend or a Vista. As for Ebay - are those brand new units, or used? Everything at GPS Now is new in the box.

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I went and ordered a GPSMAP76S off the recommendation of Marty (smilesforu). Thanks for the email info Marty. :cheers:

I didnt want to spend that much but I guess I wanted the best. :shrug: I priced it all over town and then ordered online from GPSNow (thanks for the contact waterfish) I have no problem supporting the local guy, but when the local guy wants $85 or more than I paid for it with freight I order online and wait 2 days for fed ex.

I learned one thing in the process, If you buy a Garmin product on ebay it will not be warrantied unless you purchase it from an actual Garmin retailer and have a sales receipt from the retail store. I could have saved 10 or 15 bucks over GPSNows price with a few ebay sellers selling new unopened products, but I would not have gotten the warranty. :shocked:

Something to be aware of when you price products on ebay, it may be new but that doesnt mean squat to Garmin when it comes to warranty (I called and talked to Garmin about this)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Congrats roy I hope you like yours as much as I do. I got my from gps discount.. (could have saved you a dollar) :tongue:
Now your gonna need the acessories and those aren't cheap either. It is confusing trying to get the right brackets for it. Of course you need a different one for the car than the boat. If you got questions shoot me a email get a little too busy at times to follow both forums.
I also bought a remote antenna for the truck and it works really good. Especially on road trips :smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts