IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to Odell on Tues morning and found the weather great, but the fishing luke warm at best. The kokes in Odell are bigger than last year, but according to what we found and to some of the folks fishing there ahead of us, the fishing has been generally slow the last couple of weeks. Most were caught on orange or chrome Buzz Bombs or a pink/white Gibbs Minnow.

The weather turned on us Wed night and it blew really hard. We went over to Wickiup on Wed night and had a very hard time fishing because of the wind. The kokes we did catch at Wickiup were huge. I managed the largest of the short trip there and on digi scales it was 2lbs 4 ounces. A buddy got one at 1 lb 8 ounces. They were just few and far between.

The weather change turned from 65 degrees on Wed afternoon to a hard snow on Thurs morning at Odell. You just gotta love that Central Oregon weather! :shocked:

SD

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
SD,
How big were the kokes you got out of Odell. We are trailering the boat down for for 3 days of memorial weekend, but will fish crescent one of them, or wickiup. I'm stocked up with nordics, bb's, and all my rigger stuff.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Thanks for the report SD. What do you consider luke warm? Hopefully the warm weather predicted for this week will get the fish on the bite.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Spoiled...FRG...

I hope the weather, and the bite, get's better in the coming days.. I'm not sure how anxious the 5 & 7 year olds will be to go fishing if, it's snowing at Paulina, where I hear the bite has been SLOW.

We'll be up there next Thursday thru Monday. Thumper and his gang will be there as well. We might have to head down the hill and try Wickiup if there's just no action at Paulina.

I hear Billy Chinook has been good for the Kokes...Not real big though.

In the fall, I pray for rain... Now I pray for SUN.

Scott

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Scott,

This is from the ODF&W fishing report for Paulina.

PAULINA LAKE: Good kokanee catches averaging 13 to 17 inches. Brown trout angling was fair over the weekend. Expect best catches of large brown trout early in the season and early and late in the day. A state record brown trout was caught in Paulina and weighed 28 pounds, 5-oz. Kokanee angling is expected to be good with most fish ranging from 13 to 16 inches. Kokanee catches will improve as lake productivity increases in May and June. There is a five trout daily bag limit (includes kokanee) and may include one fish greater than 20 inches.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">From this the fish are bigger than they have been the past few years. Some stable weather and some sun will only help. I have been wanting to get up there but the cool weather has kept me lower.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The kokes we got at Odell were almost all between 12-14' long, but we got a couple right at 15".

I went with a group and we had 3 boats fishing. One of the boats got 38 one day, but we averaged around 10 fish between 2 of us each day there. Most were by jigging, but Thursday morning we only caught 3 fish, all trolling in Shelter Cove. The highway hole near Sunset Cove was the most productive for us.

We are putting a trip together for June for Wickiup. I want to fill the freezer with the giant kokes in there. SD

·
Registered
35 Posts
heres a little secret for catching kokes at odell. troll with a gibbs pink/pearl jig at about 1 mph. tip it with corn and make a gentle jigging motion. maybe about 6" lift then drop it back. when you find a school, figure 8 around in it while jig trolling. watch your line real close because the take is very lite on the drop. even if the fish aare at 50', they will come up for it! this has worked for MANY limits in the past. :dance:

·
Registered
612 Posts
this isn't sciencific boys, stay with the flotillia......#25 pink nordic tipped with white corn.... to the bottom, jig, fish on....

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Thanks for the information. I am going to be there May 29 to June 3. If anyone is going to be around let me know maybe we can hook up.
st

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks for the report SD. Sounds about like what we did last week. Still slow. The kokes at Wickiup are trophy size no doubt about it.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
5/16 - Wickiup, fished after noon (automotive crisis) - cold, windy. One kokanee, BIG. Dodger & Worm/corn

5/17 - Odell, snow on highway & campground. Windy, cold. One kokanee. Ford Fender & worm/corn. Many boats crammed into west bay - mainly for some relief from the wind. Saw a couple nets out. Marked fish @ 50 ft.

5/18 - Fall River. Really not many fish. A few at the hatchery under a lot of pressure, didn't see ANY further down closer to the falls.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts

Thanks for the Odell tips guys. Odell was new to me last year though we had sucess on Kokes and Macks I still have lots to learn. I'll be back in July.

Heres a picture from last years trip. My 11 year old ( aka Guppy Boy ) got this beauty on his first trip out. :grin:

[ 05-20-2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: pearl ]

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Young Guppy Boy took the mack on a silver and blue k15 kwik fish with two night crawlers coming off the back hook. I'm guessing the fish was close to 20lbs. I wish we could have released it but after coming up from 100 ft deep it wasn't doing to well and I don't think it would have survived.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts