IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First trip down there this year and 4 keepers(all on smelt) 45 46 48 and 56. We were on the water at 5am and off at 10. Plan on it again tomorrow am . will be monitoring 16. Nice way to spend a Fri off :cheers:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I do not know if I am going to get to go tomorrow but if so what lanuch are you using? I have not fished that low in the river yet. I think I can figure it out from there just wondering about the launch. I have heard of a lot of people using the Deep River launch...

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Woolridge,
Coming from centralia the deep river launch would be a good bet. We'll be heading down in the morning launching out of deep river.
Glow

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Take the hwy west out of longview.Sign will say west to longbeach, I don't rember which mile marker but take the first left after going over Deep River. Go a little ways there will be a shack to the right where you pay to launch, the actual launce is further down the road. good luck and many tight lines to you.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was a little slower for most I think on Sat. Fish checker said He had 50 keepers for 72 boats. We got three but no large ones, just 43 45 and 48. boat next to us got 4 in an hour on shrimp. We used only smelt today with anise the best. pis on request bey email haven't figured out the pic post here yet

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Sunday was not good either. Checker said only 25% of the boats had keepers. We caught 2 crabs, a small flouder, and one short. Moved so much I can't count that high. Fished from below Hammond to above the Astoria Bridge. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
No Wishin Just Fishin,
Where did you put in? We went out of John Day early. The checker gave us the same numbers. Not red hot. We only had three shorties but I am pretty much of a rookie out there. Only fished it a few times. Going back Thursday and Friday this week to learn some more spots. If anyone is going to be out there let me know what channel your on and maybe we can share some stories. I think the tides should be better this week.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
Rags,
Try off of tongue point. You will see a ton of boats just inside the point, but move away and out towards the main channel more. 60' feet on the last two hours of outgoing right before low slack. We used cowlitz smelt with smelly jelly anchovie scent with the salmon rods. Action was steady. look for rolling fish there.
hope it helps. GBS

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
WaterDog- You should have said you were going, you know I would have hooked you up :wink:

Limits every trip so far this year. The estuary has been good thus far :cool:

[ 06-02-2003, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Tacklebuster ]

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Chris it was a last minute trip. Only knew long enough to jettison the springer gear and load the gator riggin', hit the sack, and get up an few hours later. :grin: I think that was the first time I've been skunked. I knew I should have fished water I knew and put in at the east basin or John Day :rolleyes: instead of looking at new water. :shrug:

Maybe next weekend.........

Joe, I could make a few cracks about your occupation and spelling but I won't. I'll bite my tongue. :grin: :wink: :laugh:

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rags

usually go out of east Basin as not as crowed. Won't be there until Sat and this week the tide is at daylight. email me and will give you the coordinates for thurs-fri. Only guy who didn't get a fish in my boat Sat brought Bananas. Hope He learned His lesson :laugh: :dance: :laugh:

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Waterdog - don't believe a word of it! I sent Chris two emails late last week and another this morning and he still hasn't responded. I think he's bonded with the carrot milk clan and won't talk to the rest of us anymore. :whazzup:

I went down Saturday morning and was back at the dock by 9:30 a.m. with limits. Launched out of John Day. I've made hundreds of trips out of Chinook, but had never sturgeon fished out of John Day before - just got lucky I'm sure. Found a nice sand bar about a 1/2 mile below Rice Island that I never knew was there :shocked: Might have made it over it in your boat.

I think it was a little slow this weekend, and with Chris being so zipperlipped and all it doesn't help. :grin: Actually, I'm guessing he just never checked his email. We got our fish on fresh anchovies and smelt. Couldn't get them to bite the sand shrimp.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Joe- You know I wouldn't diss you like that. I haven't recieved any mail from the mighty KillerT. Everything on my end is working correctly I think :shrug: I have recieved mail from RipnLips and 5-Cents so I'm not sure why I didn't get yours. My new E-mail is [email protected].

You got mail :wink:

[ 06-02-2003, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Tacklebuster ]

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
You sure it's not [email protected] (no "r")!

I'm such an idiot - for some reason my email server had the mispelled "eathlink" in it but it never came back!

I'll resend today's - last week I was just wondering if you were going to be out there so I could say hi. Todays is just a report and probably a chastising for not contacting me!

Talk to you soon, Chris.

Joe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts