IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips for a future mom and dad taking an infant out on the boat for a few hours of fishing??

I know we need to keep the baby out of the sun, wind and water. Im just looking for any advice on what to have on hand to make the trip a bit easier.

·
Administrator
41,374 Posts
Not sure what age your baby is. At 8 months, I brought my daughter at nap time and let her sleep in her carrier. At 20 months, nap time was still a good trick. Most important is not a trick, just pay constant attention. You don't want to hear anything splashing ... not kid, not keys, not fishing rod!

·
Registered
512 Posts
biggest trick for me was finding an infant size life jacket that really was small enough for an infant.
Otherwise, the only suggestion is to limit yourself to mellow areas of the river both for safety margin and keeping away from the pounding waves, etc on the run out to where you're going.
Warmth and a full tummy are the other basics. Then again, that doesn't apply just to little ones.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I installed a seat belt to one of the bench seats so I could secure my son's car seat ( it keeps him pretty secure when we hit wave or rough water. he rides in it just like in a car and often times falls asleep from the launch to the fishing spot.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
This whole conversation scares me. Call me a nervous nelly. I am seeing baby strapped down to a boat that flips or an infant thrown from a boat in an accident.

Everyone can take their own course of action but I don't plan on getting any of my kids out on a boat until they are at least 2 years and have a good PFD that will pop them to the top like a cork and keep their head out of water.

Every child must have an adequate PFD so strapping them to the boat may not even be legal. If I were you I would contact the Coast Guard Auxilliary and or the state Marine Board.

At the very least make sure you have maximum floatation and only go out on calm and relatively safe water.

No fish is worth losing what is most important in your life.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good Idea on the seat belt manchu, I be figuring out how to install one in my boat. Pete, no baby yet, were due in late August, I guess Ill be keeping my wallet and keys in my pocket instead of the dash.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I don't know if this will get edited or not and I hope not because I think it is an awesome program. I put both my boys thru a swim program called "Swimbabes". You can look it up in the yellow pages.

At about one year old (maybe 14 months), both my boys could be thrown in the deep end of a swimming pool, fully clothed INCLUDING SHOES and float for 5 minutes :shocked: . This after less than 8 classes. The 5 min float is the graduation to the next step.

This program is not a splash and giggle method of teaching swimming but teaches a kid to learn to float for survival first!! Then it expands to teach swimming. I believe she teaches kids less than 1 year old too but that was my comfort level.

My kids are turning 11 and 8 this month and both are like fish in the water now. A requirement for someone like me who is always by a river or lake. Check it out

Bob

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
For the first year or two, you may want to think about hiring a babysitter when you go out fishing.
Baby is safer and mom and you get some time together without baby.

·
Registered
35 Posts
AMEN to reeldick. mom and dad need time together to remember why baby is there in the first place!!! :wink:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Pampers, formula, 12V warmer, Mini-life jacket and a very small pole. Hey it is great you start a child young. Out kids were in diapers with a bottle when we started them out. Check the look on their face when the fish comes aboard. Priceless.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
14,498 Posts
hey cannonball, i commend your desire to get your progeny out into the great outdoors at such an early age. just pick a really calm day/area and bring along all the same stuff you would take on a trip to the park. for stability, you're probably going to want to nose into any wakes. swimbabies is a great idea for any young child. you never know when or how they'll find their way to the water whether you take them fishing or not. watch the sun exposure and put sunscreen on the little squirmer even if it's not sunny out.

the USCG recommends not taking an infant less than 18 months of age. also, they suggest testing the chosen PFD on the child to make sure it fits them properly. apparently, there are floating child seats out there but none of them are USCG certified.

bottom line, safety first, fishing second. there'll always be time to get them out later in life.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I have wondered about this as well. I have a one year old and would love to take her on the boat, but the idea of something happening scares me. I decided to wait until she has a fighting chance on her own if something did happen. Not sure when that is though, so now I just watch and wait for her to be ready.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Come on - you put the kid in the CAR every day ... how dangerous is that ?

Both of my kids went boating very young. Get a good heads-up PFD that fits & take it easy.

·
Registered
869 Posts
My wife and I were having this discussion yesterday! I wouldn't want anything to happen to my little girl!

She did fish with me yesterday on the Deschutes...I was standing on the bank with her in the "pak-a-pooh". We didn't catch anything, but she seemed to be enjoying herself. Only 2 months old..and can't tell me NO YET! :grin:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Fisherfield, how could any father take a chance on hurting a cutie like that? Wow!
I used to pack mine into some lakes and rivers where we would fish salmon or trout. We left her out of the boat until she was a little older and we found a life jacket to fit her.
Mine caught her first salmon at four in front of the Cedar Oak ramp. Hogmaster took a picture of us. She has fished all her life. She is now sixteen.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I never took my sons in a boat, as I did not have a boat, but I started my oldest son steelheading when he was 10 days old. I put him one of those back packs and off we went to the Kalama River. I would take a break ever hour to feed, burp and change his diaper. Boy was I introuble with the wife when we got home and she asked where we had been. Now I do have to say in my defence that at the time I was a Paramedic with a long history of Pediatrics including in and out patient Peds. I was very careful to not let him get sunburned. The other thing that was great about it was the Old Timers who fished the river durring the week would not ever talk to me until I brought my son along. They always acted like I had no right to fish the river durring the week, but the first time I introduced them to my son they would take turns sitting on the bank holding him and telling the rest of us why we were not catching enough fish.

·
Registered
92 Posts
sandy,

before you critize my methods of keeping my kid in one spot. think about this?

- who is going to watch my child if i'm driving the boat (just me and him). he could crawl out and fall in the water while i'm zipping along at 20 MPH. although he wears a PFD all the time in the boat ( yes even in the seat) there is a possibility of my one year old bobbing in the river waiting for me to come back and get him because I was to busy trying to avoid other boats.

- how about hitting an object like a wake or sandbar, piling at speed. Car seats and seatbelts are put into car's to keep adults and kids from going through a windshield. (yes, Unfortunaly I have hit a wake at speed and the only thing that kept my then 10 month old son from being bounced aroung the inside of the cabin was the seatbelted car seat).

As far as leaving my kids with other while I fish.

- my wife is my original fishing partner and has been for ten years. it is unfair for me to dump the kids off on her while i go fishing. it's also unfair to the rest of our family to leave my kids with them. My kids......my responsiblity.

there are dangers in every aspect of daily life. if you want to live life..........you need to learn to deal with these danger. other wise let's all build plastic bubbbles and lock ourselves in our houses.

it may not be the perfect solution but I know the RISK and my only priority is getting my son out of the seat (remember he already has a good infant PFD on).

BTW I am not advocating strapping you kid in with no way of getting him out and heading full speed into a storm.

BE SMART....use common sense and if feels bad it probably is. There is nothing wrong with turning around and going home.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Cannon ball, I would take your infant out on a calm day. Watch out for the sun. I Took my 6mo old boy a couple years back on a calm, warm, overcast day. He got sunburned bad :sick: There wasn't any sun that day but he got burned badly through the clouds. Use lots of Watter Babbies if the sun is showing or not.

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
seat belts in a boat...? I am not thinking so for my little guys. I buy into the premise that I don't dump my kids on anybody, and if they can't be assured a safe experience "we" don't go. I hardly can be considered a person who lives in bubble either. Like said, cars and boats having nothing in common, and upside down car is drastically different than that of a boat.

One thing that many have learned on this board, and I have from the offroad world as well, is that you can be the safest person in the world, but there is always somebody else (call them a doughball if you will) that makes a mistake pulling anchor, boating unsafely, showing off etc.. that can ruin your day. Yes, accidents happen on the highway as well, but the world of the automobile has long ago comprehended the safety of the human body, including children and infants.

I am more worried about what the other guy is going to do, and with limited training required to operate a boat, the odds go up against you on the water IMO.

so in short the kids will come along when they can fit into CG approved floatation.

gus

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Cannonball,
West Marine sells a nice infant life jacket. Its expensive and only good till 20 lbs but well worth it. Keeps baby head up right and warm if needed. Do not buckle baby in. Soon as a nice day hits were ready to take ours out.
Tim

1 - 20 of 31 Posts