IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only 10 more days to go and I can't wait. There is just something magical about draggin' a spinning herring in the early morning light. :grin:

Anybody else getting pumped for it?

I will probably be down on the opener and will definitely be down on the 2nd. Hopefully with the good Coho return forecast for this year, there will be a few around earlier in August.

Just a reminder that it is a 2 fish limit, of which only one can be a Chinook. On the 16th it goes to 3 fish, not more than one Chinook. :dance:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
We'll see ya out there! I'll be at the ramp at 1:00 a.m.. The wait in line should only be an hour or so at that time. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I was going to start this thread earlier today, too!

I can't freakin' wait! This year I am taking my wife down for the first time...We will be fishing Monday through Wednesday the first week of August.

Good luck to everyone and remember YOU MUST FISH RIGHT AT 10!!! THERE ARE NO FISH ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE RIVER, ONLY AT BUOY 10!!! :wink:

I have also heard that Hammond launch is closed and they are requesting everyone launch at Skipanon...I think that it will be especially closed around 5:00 ish Monday morning and reopening around 5:10ish, so don't bother getting in line!!! :wink: :tongue:

Tag

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
The tides are kinda rough for morning fishing on the incoming tide...looks like high tide will be around 6:30 a.m. ish.

Tag

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tag...according to the tide site I looked at, low tide is around 930am and incoming until 400ish. At least I won't have to get up early. :wink:

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I fished the opener last year and was very surprised to find an empty lot. I arrived at the ramp about 20 minutes before daylight and was the third boat in the water. The fishing absolutely stunk, we didn't get a touch for 8 hours of fishing. I didn't hear of a fish caught that day either. That was the first B-10 opener that I fished that I didn't tag out. I guess we will wait and see. I'll be there with bells, I mean boat bumpers on.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Chris - you weren't the only one who got skunked last year on the opener. We drowned our herring for about 6 hours with nary a strike. I think I'm going to skip the opener this year, probably fish the ocean and wait for the bulk of the run to show up before fishing the river.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Remember last year all the runs were bit late too...

If the salmon dont show I bet there would be some good sturgeon C&R action

[ 07-22-2003, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: 5-Cents ]

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
It was slow at first last year for the opener. We got one keeper for all day fishing and released two jacks. We went home with just two fish for the weekend.

Didn't it open earlier last year though? I thought it opened in July but can't remember.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
The 2001 opener was nothing short of fantastic. We started fishing at daylight and had three people tagged out by 9:00 am. I realize that was an exceptional year but 2002's opener was nothing shy of pethetic.

The good news is the ocean will be open 7 days a week and there will be no reason not to tag out on Friday unless the bar and ocean conditions keep me inside.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TB...that was my thought as well. If the tide chart I am looking at is anything close to accurate, we will probably run out to B10 to give a look see as the tide starts to come in. If it looks good we may head outside. If I had to take a random guess, I would imagine this year to be better than last year, but probably not as good as 2001.

Keep your fingers crossed. :wink: :grin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts