IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We fished B-10 to the bridge on both Oregon and Washington sides of the river from Wednesday through Saturday. Here are some of the highlights:

Here is my brother Randy and his daughter Amanda with her first ever chinook.

Next, Randy's daughter Tara hooked up with a nice little coho.

Tara was thrilled with the silvers but nothing puts a smile on a little girls face like a 32lb 10oz chinook, the largest of the trip. Nice going, Tara!

My sweetie, Kim, was able to join us on Saturday. I think this bright 20lb chinook made the trip worthwhile.

We had a great time and the new boat performed flawlessly. You can't tell, but on all but the last picture there are five people and two labs aboard. When Kim and her lab Vixen, joined the group we were up to nine including the dogs. The boat never felt crowded and we were able to fish five rods off the back (two on downriggers) with very few tangles.

Special thanks to Bernie (Catch and Eat) for the use of his slip at Ilwaco Tue, Wed and Thur nights and to Mel and C.D. Johnson for hooking me up with a slip in Warrenton on Friday night.

We ran into several other ifishers on and off the water. Great to see you guys and we hope you had as much fun as we did.

Oh yeah, here's the scoop: We did best off the picket fence at Chinook on the incoming, then running over to the green line between Hammond and Warrenton when the bite died.

Caught many fish every day but Thursday (we only fished a few hours, then took the dogs to the beach and caught up on our rest). Only caught one nate for the whole trip as I remember.

Good luck and be careful out there. Channel 16 sounded like the Coast Gaurd was busy with one emergency or several at all times.

[ 08-24-2003, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Congrats to you all on a great trip. :cheers: You can see that the girls were really proud of their fish!!

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Way to put the girls on some fish!!

It was nice to hear someone slaying the chinook out there! We did pretty good on the silvers but no nookies...

Nice looking boat you got there, what I could see from a distance :wink:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Crabbait,

Great company, great fish, great dogs and an awesome boat. It doesn't get much better than that, does it! Looks like the weather was pretty great too.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I saw ya out there on Saturday trollin around. Nice looking boat! Sounds like a great time!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Crabbait,
Nice talking to you on the radio Saturday. We only got 4 Coho. Had three rookie fisherman with me and kept grabbing the pole to quick. The line to get the boat in at Hammond was bad. We missed two hours of fishing. Oh well, next weekend will be better. Nice boat.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Congrats on the fish. Hopefuly I will have a boat by next year so i can go out there with ya all. The wife is prego and she says when the baby is born 11/03 then i can buy my boat :shrug: . any way good job. keep up the posts. :bowdown: .

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Rags,
the key to the Hammond launch is get your bait ahead of time and launch before 5AM. Especially on the weekends. We saw all kinds of people waiting for either the bait to arrive or just waiting in a long line in the AM. The difference at the launch between 4:45 am and 5 am is enormous.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Tilla,
I guess I'll have to get up earlier. Last Saturday I got up at 2:30am, left my house in Tualatin about 3:30am and arrived in Hammond about 5:45am. To late. The line was really bad already. I need to either go down the night before or just get there super early and sleep in my truck. I'll be glad when the fish get closer to home. :grin:

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Saw you out there on Saturday, Crabbait!! Sweet ride, but it sure looks like it needs TWO of those Suzuki's on the back, not just one!!

TR

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keta - I did not know you guys were having a Tunaholics meeting or I would have stopped for a Barleypop. Seriously, my brother was waiting at the boatlaunch to pull her out and head for home. We still had to stop and load camp. We did not make it back to Kalama until about midnight and were on remote control. Still feeling the effects Sunday.

Rogue - You should know better than to tempt me like that. She will do 28.5 knots (33mph) trimmed out with five people, two labs, a big cooler full of fish and ice and 3/4 bag of fuel (about 75 gallons). That is more than enough for an ocean boat meant for rough water. That Suzuki's twin sister would be nice in the river though. She might not do 50mph but I bet it would be close. We could paint her flat black and nickname her "The Black Missile"!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Crabby,
Saw you Thurs and Fri. Hollered at ya on 78 but no reply. Should have hailed you on 16 from the sounds of things.

Did you guys hear the boat hailing the CG that was adrift between 3 and 4. Twenty minutes later he hailed again and reported he'd just been struck by a ship! :shocked: :sick:

Response time go way up when the CG is busy dealing with the unprepaired. :depressed:

He was lucky he was still afloat and able to use his radio.

Happened around 11:00 Friday. Fella should have headed for the store for a lottery ticket when he got back to port.

Let's all be careful out there!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts