IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all!

I thought it was time to chime in since I will be moving to the Beaverton area as of September 12th. I recently took a job at the Oregon famed Nike and am relocating from Utah. I have a Skeeter bass boat that will be joining me up here first of October just in time for the stellar fall fishing.

I am a serious bass angler and will be looking to knock a few things off of my list pretty quickly.

1. Research bass clubs that have active club tournament schedules.
2. Find someone to join me on my boat to show me the ropes at navigating the Columbia and Willamette rivers. I hear they can be dangerous if you don't know how to navigate the booey system.
3. Fish my brains out. My resident lake will be the Henry Hagg of course but will be exploring finding my own honey holes.

I fish just about every weekend and look forward to finding the right like-minded anglers. I do on occasion enjoy fishing for multi-species and also from a float tube.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Welcome to Oregon and PM sent.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Welcome to Oregon.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures in the future with Nike logo clothing.

I've a hunch that the Columbia River will be your favorite smallmouth territory this fall.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Just thought I would give you a "heads-up" about resident/non-resident licenses. You have to reside for six months before you can get a yearly resident license($33 minimum). The non-resident license is $106.25 minimum and is valid for the calendar year. There are several endorsements required for species and areas. The regs can be pretty complicated and the fines are not small. I suggest you download and read the regs (and updates!) from the ODFW Fishing website at:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/

You should also go to the marine board site at:

http://www.oregon.gov/osmb/Pages/index.aspx

Your boat will have to be inspected for invasive species and you will have to obtain a boat operators card before you can legally launch. There is also information about registering your boat.

Welcome to Oregon! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,912 Posts
You're going to want to make some weekend trips down to Tenmile Lake. It's the best bass lake in Oregon, IMO.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just thought I would give you a "heads-up" about resident/non-resident licenses. You have to reside for six months before you can get a yearly resident license($33 minimum). The non-resident license is $106.25 minimum and is valid for the calendar year. There are several endorsements required for species and areas. The regs can be pretty complicated and the fines are not small. I suggest you download and read the regs (and updates!) from the ODFW Fishing website at:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/

You should also go to the marine board site at:

http://www.oregon.gov/osmb/Pages/index.aspx

Your boat will have to be inspected for invasive species and you will have to obtain a boat operators card before you can legally launch. There is also information about registering your boat.

Welcome to Oregon! :rolleyes:
I'm aware of the different rules and regs. I'm not new to Oregon by any means, I've fished up there before. A bit of sticker shock for the license but I'll "bite the bullet" for now and get a new license in 6 months.

We have similar invasive species awareness here which I am 100% for so no worries there.

Thanks for the links!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're going to want to make some weekend trips down to Tenmile Lake. It's the best bass lake in Oregon, IMO.
That is what I've been told. Up here I travel 4-5 times a year to bass waters that hold big fish and numbers so I expect to do the same with the great waters around the state. 4-5 hour drive is well worth the experience. Only lake I will really miss is Lake Powell. :(

Pretty damn excited to fish for some big Smallmouth, the smallie fishing here in Utah is horrible.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to Oregon.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures in the future with Nike logo clothing.

I've a hunch that the Columbia River will be your favorite smallmouth territory this fall.
Heh, we will see about the Nike logo. They need to come out with a fishing line, rain gear, extra padded shoes to cushion while standing on a hard deck of a bass boat, etc. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nike fishing line would cost so much money for us but rod sleeves would be cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
881 Posts
The big rivers aren't bad to run. Stay inside the buoys (red right return...from the ocean) and don't run the banks....do a ninety into them as you go up or down ease into them untill you get a feel. A good chip or a map will be you best friend. Unless of coarse your fishing below the Dalles dam on the Oregon side in the islands...than you have to flat pay attention.
Great area though

·
Registered
391 Posts
I will message you, I too live in same general area and enjoy fishing for the same species.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The big rivers aren't bad to run. Stay inside the buoys (red right return...from the ocean) and don't run the banks....do a ninety into them as you go up or down ease into them untill you get a feel. A good chip or a map will be you best friend. Unless of coarse your fishing below the Dalles dam on the Oregon side in the islands...than you have to flat pay attention.
Great area though
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have another question...

Is there a good shop that works on Yamaha VMAX motors within 30 minutes of Beaverton? I will need to get my motor tuned for this lower elevation.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have another question...

Is there a good shop that works on Yamaha VMAX motors within 30 minutes of Beaverton? I will need to get my motor tuned for this lower elevation.
Ask this question in the Boat and Motor Tech blog and you should have an answer very quickly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts