IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my cry for help! All of the fisherman that fish in the Multnomah Channel for shad around Coon Island remember two things. Most of the boats catch more shad up off the moorages above the island where both sides of the rivers remerge together. And Secondly we are still salmon fishing and with all the boats that are anchoring sparaticly off the Coon Island Dock it makes it impossible to even troll through the island.

I wish that the fisherman could anchor up in a hogline or laeve a little gap for the boats to come through that are still trolling for salmon.

So if you think of it could you give us a little room.

Thanks

·
Registered
539 Posts
I can't troll with my current small motor so anchor fishing is what I do. I am also fishing for salmon with shad being a fun fillin bonus. I usually anchor on the tailend of the Coon dock. The barges go up the other side of the island where there is a lot more room. I have actually seen one do that last year. I try to anchor off to the side towards the dock but can't help that many others will anchor all over the place. Its only going to get more crowded there.
Bob

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Thanks, Bob, for trying to be to the side.

As for crowds, more boats wouldn't be a problem at all if the anchoring was done in an organized line with gaps at the ends or middle, rather than the totally random pattern being done now.

I think it was Sunday morning when trolling down thru there was like running a slalom course - zigging and zagging while trying to guess if folks had short or long anchor ropes out.

There's room for everyone, just - like Talons said - give some consideration.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Ya, I was there saturday and had out more anchor line than needed. I realize that now so next time will know to drop closer to where I want to fish. I did have a troller pass me as I was fighting a salmon and he thought I just had a shad. When he saw the fish he did reelup and steer away so all was ok and I landed it. A friend came in his boat and tied up to mine as he didn't want to anchor cause of all the folks that came after me and anchored on my line and all over...I think the people that fish there often know where to anchor to catch fish, ususally towards the dock. I haven't seen many fish caught on the other side.
Bob (hopefully they will read this)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is right Bob, they do better closer to the dock. If the boats would line up like we just learned for springers it would be easy to still troll and it would also make more room for additional shad fisherman. Now if there are 20 boats scattered at random there is not much more room to fish but if you lined up you could get about 6 hoglined with 10 to 15 boats in them each.

Also don't be afraid to fish up in front of the moorage. All the oldtimers coon the shad up there! I will talk to a boat that had fished the island and they maybe had 10 to 20 fish and then whent up and talked to the upper lines off the dock and they usually have double or tripple that very consistantly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You might be preaching to the choir about this one...generally the "problem" boats out there could care less what you think. They will anchor where ever they want.

I figure let the shad folks have the coon area...At least that keeps all the chaos in a localized area.
:shrug:
Not all...but a few of the folks I have seen there in the past should have their right to operate a water craft taken away

·
Registered
709 Posts
I would just like to second Talons comments, just a matter of trying to leave a channel and being courteous. I would sure love to be out there right now, is it gorgeous out or What?
:grin: RIPPLE :grin:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ripple, It was awesome out there tonight! We got one and missed 2 others tonight. So we landed 3 today and missed 2.

Att: Shad People: This is the first time I have seen boats anchored up on the Scappoose side of Coon Island at the top close to the island and they had a bunch of fish too, No Joke the 3 times I ran by them I saw them reeling fish in and I talked to them, and they said that they were getting quite a few shad, even more than the other side it sounded.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Joe- I'd be glad to take Miss B down through there and make a trail for ya! :shocked: The gravel barge does a pretty good job to. :grin:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Talons....How is the salmon fishing on the Scappoose side of Coon? I see that most of the trollers go down the one side and not the other?
I know its wider and deeper in spots on that side and the current is less but never have seen many boats fishing there.
I am still mainly salmon fishing and have been giving away the shad I catch. I might try a different anchorage but that particular spot I was in last saturday has produced salmon for me.
Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts