IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Read your other post. Mr. Carp tells you. I was in Astoria on business today and the wind was blowing pretty good. Be careful.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
It all depends on where you plan on fishing and what kind of a boat you have which will regulate how far you can run.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
If you are fishing the church hole like I said in the other post, launch at Chinook. Have you ever fished down there before?? It can get real nasty and dangerous in a hurry when the tides and wind get just right. If you feel confortable running a little ways, you could launch at Hammond or Warrenton and run across the river. It is easier to get out of those facilities. If you have never launched at Chinook it can be tricky because there is one channel and it is really shallow everywhere else. Good Luck and be careful!!

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Fishing the bridge is kind of a toss up. You could launch at John Day and run down and might have a smoother ride if you plan on fishing the OR side. If your fishing the WA side of the bridge you could launch at Chinook or whatr they call the piling launch or Knappton if you dare! :grin: It used to be brutal to launch there and you had to have a pretty small boat. Your 17' would probably be OK

·
Registered
499 Posts
I was just there a couple of days ago. I launched from Knappton Cove both days. I have an 18ft Sea Dory. I watched a 20ft Alumaweld launch there last year. The launch is un-improved. I stress the un-improved part. I plan on taking a couple bags of concrete with me every time I go from now on. The launch is great. No problem what so ever. It's the road down to the launch that will get you. It's gotten really bad. It just needs a little love and care. If we all take a couple bags of crete when we go it will be top notch in just a few trips. It still works if you go slow and trim your pump for safety. I will use it the rest of the summer for gators and then for fall nooks.

If you don't know where it is. Turn right after crossing the Megler Bridge and head up river about four miles I think it is. Look for the Knappton Cove sign on the right side of the road. Slow down, it comes up quick. Pull into the little turn out (3 car parking area). Once launched pull out and park across the street or above if there is room. If you launch there at high tide be careful. There are pillars off to the sides under water that will eat your transducer for lunch. You might want to turn you boat by using an oar or extension pole until you learn where they are. When returning after fishing make sure you're on the right hand side of the :smile: face when you come back through the pillars. You'll see what I'm talking about. Can't miss it. This launch is great for saving time, gas and a beating if the weather turns sour.

Hope this helps.

SPACE

[ 06-03-2003, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Space Fish? ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.