IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I am taking my wife and two boyz down ti the John Day to launch on Sunda, want to get my wife into her first Gator for Mothers day{nice guy, huh?}...anyway, how is the incoming for gators, down there? Any hints on techniquess....any thing special to wath for, safety wise, other than the usual....any help apreciated

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
On the flood tide, fish deep. I like the 50 to 70 foot range. Fish chovies or smelt with the lightest weight possible. Start hunting upriver from the bridge :wink:

·
Registered
184 Posts
My favorite way is to fish the flats. I look for chanels in the 20 to 30 foot range then fish the flats on the sides.

Also my favorite bait bar none is shrimp. I have seen it over and over again when I have pulled into a spot with other boats and start fishing with shrimp while all the people around me are using anchovies and smelt and we will have 2, 3 and even 4 on at the same time while those around us just look on in amassment. I always have smelt with me and this is because if you do get stuck fishing in Tacklebuster's holes the sculpin will rob you blind.

The trick to using shrimp is to go buy yourself a worm threader. You then that the threader and and insert it into the tail and run it all the way thru the body untill in comes out the head. Once the shrimp is loaded then take your hook insert it into the end of the the tube and while holding both the threader and line tight slide the shrimp off the threader around the bend of the hook and up the line. This will take some practice to keep the hook from falling out of the tube. The final step is the wrap the shrimp with elastic thread. Do yourself a favor and go to the sewing department in your locale store to get the thread not the sporting goods department it's about halve the cost.

I also agree with the lightest possible rod and line. I use Uglystix's in a one piece version that are rated to 25 lbs test. The reels are Abu 6501 wound up with either power pro or tuff line in the 30 to 35 pound range.

The final and most important piece of advice is if you are not getting bit move.

These are most of my secrets that took me year's and I do mean years to learn.

Hope this helps and good luck sunday.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Reel,

Does the head end up pointed up toward the pole or down?

Krue

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
ReelMcCoy,

I was wondering on the shrimp if the tail is up or the head?

Krue

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looking at your leader with the hook on the end, the head of the shrimp should be down by the hook with the tail threaded up the leader. At least that's what works for me.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sorry Krue I have not looked at this thread since I posted it. I always have the head facing up the line with the tail wrapped around the hook then wrapped with thread to hide to hook.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
I agree, fish deeper on a flood tide. 50'+. Bring a selection of baits, smelt, sand shrimp. They can be finicky. Keep moving as they seem to be thick in spots and not in others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts